They couldn't suck more if they tried!

Poster
MonsoonBlows
Kudos: 15
stardim stardim stardim stardim star
They couldn't suck more if they tried!
23 Nov 2015
We have been using Stone Edge Order Manager for 15 years.

We started back in the day when Barney Stone was THE man (and Barney did great work).

As his team grew and the software grew, it got better and better.

But, at some point, Barney decided to retire and in came Monsoon.

Having dealt with dozens (even scores) of software companies over my many decades of dealing with computers, I can honestly say Monsoon should get first prize.

First prize for being the worst software company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Their ineptitude is only exceeded by their disdain for their customers.

As most former clients have done we stayed with what worked (pre version "6" which came and went in the blink of an eye, reappeared nearly 2 years later as version 7, failed almost as miserably and now they are on version 8?)

The support is surly, slow and basically non existent.

The cost of the P.O.S. has gone up by orders of magnitude.

The integration with top ecommerce platforms is rudimentary in most cases (and uni-directional, as well.)

Had we not been with Stone Edge for as long as we had (the old saying, "The hell you know..." comes to mind) we would never, ever consider intentionally starting a new relationship with them.

Stay as far away from them as you can, save your money, save your sanity and most importantly, save your business!

(Check out the countless, true, ERP systems that are cloud-based (even open source!) and ones that have more than a handful (an ever-changing handful, at that) of employees.)

Do yourself a favor...

Look at their forums and see how "many" ("many" is purposely in quotes and you will understand the reason why when you do this homework) real "fans" they have and more importantly how many former satisfied clients have left.

Also, take a look at the tone of the interactions from Monsoon reps (when/if they even bother to actually bless the forums with their presence).

Go with your gut (and listen to all of us who have been there, done that, didn't even get the stupid T-shirt and are taking the time to share our experiences).

[Last edited: 23 Nov 2015]
Spokane, WA United States
Travis Romine
Kudos: 69
What's really the issue?
7 Dec 2015
@MonsoonBlows

Hi Member 32524,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. While Monsoon isn't a perfect company...it remains my #1 choice as a consultant. It's a powerful solution when configured properly and works with nearly every popular cart. Please post back any competitors that you like, I'm always looking for new solutions but most fall way short.

Although I can't really tell the exact issues you have with SE from your post, it sounds like you need to get some help with support.

If that is the case, may I suggest you contact support ASAP and yes it will cost you something, that's how they pay the rent. Stone Edge has dramatically improved support over the last few years from personal experience.

On another more dangerous note...I have seen a few online retailers be persuaded with slick sales tactics to other order manager systems. Many of the companies are all marketing and missed many important features that SE has.

A once thriving shop I'm familiar with flat out refused to get proper help with Stone Edge (SE). Their fix was to switch from Stone Edge. This retailer has been falling apart on many levels ever since (not a client of mine). They just didn't know how much they relied on Stone Edge and now it's too late. It's like watching a horrible car crash.

Stone Edge continues to be the underpriced workhorse for Order Management. Many competing systems I've reviewed charge $25,000-$50,000 just for setup and as much as $20,000 per year for "email" support, yikes!

Stone Edge costs a fraction of that price and at last check still has more features than many competitors and is more comprehensive in general (when setup and configured correctly).

If all else fails feel free to reach out to me with your issue and I'll try and offer some general suggestions so you can perform a fix or workaround. I hate to see you having trouble with Stone Edge. It should be making you bushels of money like it did me.

Best regards,

Travis Romine
www.sharpcommerce.com
Best regards,
Travis Romine
www.sharpcommerce.com
United States United States
igemcorp
Kudos: 30
Re: They couldn't suck more if they tried!
16 Jan 2016
@MonsoonBlows Thank you!
We used to be their loyal customers since 2008, quit last year. The only thing they cared about was their annual maintenance fee which they considered free money, as they've never done anything for it. No updates, no support, nothing, but demands to pay up. Terrible company...

[Last edited: 16 Jan 2016]
igemcorp
16 Jan 2016
@Travis Romine Travis, I am not sure what parallel world you live in, but they did not improve ANYTHING in the last few years.

Customer support? The worst since 2008. It was never good, but they tried hard, while they were called StoneEdge. With Monsoon - they are not even trying.

I had multiple tickets marked "urgent" not answered at all in a week or more, never live person answering support line (use to be able to pick up phone and talk to Barney Stone, if need be, and he would listen, and act on whatever issue we had).

Most of our tickets were due to software bugs BTW.

You probably understand how difficult to switch core software packages after using them to many years. We had to go through this pain, as Monsoon became unbearable.

You know, when they started contacting us? Just after we quit, and refused to pay annual maintenance fee. Suddenly they became interested, and started contacting us. Well, too late, and definitely not sincere.

They are not interested in keeping their clients happy, just keeping customers' money...
Travis Romine
17 Jan 2016
@igemcorp
I agree with you that Monsoon hasn't been moving forward leaps and bounds and yes they are not perfect by any means. I'm hearing your frustration. Tech issues suck to be sure and we've all been there.
Were they not able to fix something particularly for you?

I know a lot of smaller merchants who weren't used to SAAS model software had some sticker shock moving forward after SE switched over to SAAS. StoneEdge is still one of the lowest price SAAS Order Managers out there with a full feature set hands down.

That said, with the vigor you are attacking Stone Edge, I'm honestly curious about how things are you with your company and your new solution?

Would you be willing to share your: Company Name, Annual Gross Rev, and OMS solution you switched to that you are excited about? I truly do want to hear about a new magical OMS that will blow SE out of the water but I haven't found it yet.

I review new platforms every month. While some of the new cloud based features are exciting to me and my clients, most of the solutions are not mature yet and missing features that Stone Edge has natively.
Best regards,
Travis Romine
www.sharpcommerce.com
igemcorp
17 Jan 2016
@Travis Romine I hope your posts and opinion are truly independent, and you have no connection whatsoever with Monsoon.
I find no reason to provide our company information here, as it is absolutely irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion.
Your incinuations of me attacking SE are preposterous. I am not attacking, just sharing my experience.
Changing platforms is not easy, but Monsoon is not the one to keep..
I agree, there is not much choice yet in order management software for small businesses, and this is, in my opinion, the main reason many companies stick to Monsoon.
Monsoon does not care or unable to care about their customers, and their support is non existent.
You want examples? Here we go - I found a bug in their handling of eBay GSP order processing.
At that time their forced integration with SixBit was 6 month old (bug went unnoticed by them for half a year - speaking about qc). I reported it, and they confirmed it as a bug. Guess what their answer was - "we will fix it in our next release".
BTW, that was not a small bug, it was functionally very important to fix for anyone using eBay GSP.
Just so you know - 5 month later it had not been fixed, as there was no even bug fix release issued!
This was one of the recent issues, illustrating Monsoon's support, very far from the worst experience we had. On the scale of 1 to 10 of what we experienced with them it would be probably 3. It would take me pages to describe all issues and problems. Have no interest in going through it.
One of the most important things in business software, SaaS or not, is the quality of the support provided, and Moonsoon fails miserably in this department.
Travis Romine
18 Jan 2016
@igemcorp
To answer your question, I am an independent ecommerce consultant. However; I have worked directly with Monsoon as a paid contractor doing Stone Edge config, setup and optimization. I am not employed by them.

That said, I'm sorry to hear about the bug with the Ebay integration and that it wasn't fixed in a timely fashion by Monsoon. With so many facets to the software and so many channels, I can see how could pile up fast but that still sucks. I can tell you Monsoon has recently released some updates for Big Commerce, MIVA and and a few other carts and seems to be improving their cart consistency standards. I can also tell you that over the last few years their support has improved dramatically.

As a power user and consultant I've used the product enough to know it's not perfect but it can be a great tool. Stone Edge does require some ownership to perform at a high level. I find many of my clients have not tapped the full featureset and quit exploring after inital setup when orders start pumping through. A recent client of mine had been using Stone Edge for nearly a decade without ever using the Multi-Order Processor...averaging 500 orders a day...ouch!

Why do I care about this thread? The reason I'm dedicating some time here is to help current Stone Edge users configure the product successfully. Yes, once in a while I get a consulting client out of it but most of the time it's a quick phone call with some parameter setting for no charge and I'm happy to help.

I have a lot of clients that are rocking with SE doing 25MM and up. 9 times out of 10 I find Stone Edge is just not configured optimally or SOP's are not aligned with the processes in SE. When it's setup right it's hard to beat.

Sincerely sorry you had a bad experience with Stone Edge. Since you didn't mention what you're using now...I assume it's turned out to be less than pure magic as promised. I've watched rookie ecommerce teams (not clients of mine) switch away from Stone Edge to entry level cloud based tools like FishBowl with devastating results. I hope to educate some SE users here so they don't make the same mistake.
Best regards,
Travis Romine
www.sharpcommerce.com
PetAlpha
Kudos: 15
16 Mar 2016
I agree that Stoneedge has gone downhill ever since Monsoon purchased them and Barney left. I also have been with Stoneedge since 2008. At least back then you could get someone to answer the phone and most of the time support was able to help right then and there. Not once Monsoon took over. Either it's a support ticket or you need to leave a message on the phone and hope someone calls back within a few days or even a week. What good is that?

Their pricing back in 2008 and later was $500 for updates and 3 hours’ worth of time. Once Monsoon took over it went to $1300 for updates and only 5 support calls (I only call them once a year). They usually try to answer support over emails giving links back to the knowledge base. When you email back and say I don't understand they email and say "won't don't you understand". How frustrating. Their time that it takes to answer support questions and the way they handle emails is Unprofessional and impersonable.

The software is decent and if you can actually get a support person on the phone like it used to be they take care of you. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM! though I have a story how they raised their price to get rid of a bunch of their clients.
Report review abuse

Selro
StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics