Should eBay downtime = real compensation ?

Poster
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,223
26 Nov 2015
I am sure that many UK sellers are aware of the severe problems with eBay UK on the 25th November.

Complaints were flooding in to eBay from buyers and sellers who were unable to log in, bid on / purchase items, list items and send or receive messages during the afternoon.

Customer service did not help matters with comments like 'the elves are working hard with their Christmas magic to get this fixed we will keep you updated. Sorry about the wait'

We are only a small / medium sized seller but it resulted in a drop of around £800.00 in sales today based on the average Wednesday, let alone during the run up to Christmas.

Our fees to eBay are around £6K a month, and we do expect a better service than we are currently being given.

The last time a major problem occurred on eBay ( I think it was the last time but there have been so many recently ), many sellers were given 200 free listings for that month, but that is not much use to many sellers.

I know it says in eBays small print about guaranteeing site availability etc etc, but a company the size of eBay should surely do more for its customers, both buyers and sellers, especially with all the problems with the site recently.

I could write another dozen pages about eBay, but for now the question is:

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Hartlepool United Kingdom
prebeat
Kudos: 49
Re: Should eBay downtime = real compensation ?
26 Nov 2015
No. Technology can never be 100% reliable. There will always be downtime, just like there is on our website. That is my opinion. As frustrating as it is that is just the way things are - like problem with credit card processing terminals or banking websites. As long is these issues are few and far between.

At least you know you didn't lose the sales to a competitor on Ebay and if you are on the other channels chances are you may pick the customer up there if they go across - most will probably come back later and buy.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,223
Re: Should eBay downtime = real compensation ?
2 Dec 2015
I agree, technology can never be 100% reliable. Compare though the number of problems with the eBay site compared to Amazon with regard to downtime and serious problems !

Also eBay is losing traffic.

Sellers are jumping ship due to eBays policy of (mainly) finding in the buyers favour in the event of a dispute along with their often unworkable ratings system. Also many sellers have left / are leaving due to Royal Mail changing the way that business mail is recorded / sent, meaning that sellers can not defraud RM and therefore charge less than genuine sellers (Not eBays fault, but another reason). Amazon are a lot more thorough when checking out sellers and are continually monitoring them resulting in a safer marketplace.

Smaller sellers, for which eBay was virtually created, no longer feel safe selling on eBay.

Buyers are not visiting as much because there is no media advertising for eBay, and has not been any for at least a year that I can think of, and also because of the fraudulent sellers that have been on eBay tarnishing the eBay name. Anybody for and Xbox One Box for a pound ?

Add to this the continual meddling with the system in looks, search options, general layout etc. and it puts people off visiting the site. Even Google does not visit that often as eBay ranks a lot lower in Google search results than it did 18 months ago.

For example a quick search for a popular item that we sell resulted in Google results as follows:
1&2 - Amazon
3 - Tesco
4 - Very
5 - Littlewoods
6 - JMD Online (Our site)
7 - Pricerighthome
8 - eBay

There will always be sellers on eBay until the day eBay dies a death, but surely eBay should look after sellers a little bit more ? If they offered even a little bit of compensation it would help appease sellers who are disgruntled with the amount of problems with eBay.

By the way, @prebeat our downtime is 0.0% with an agreement with our host that any downtime is reimbursed at $100 per hour per site. Why can not eBay offer this ?

I know that this may appear to be an eBay bashing post. It was not meant to be. I am only trying to point out that due to the number of problems that sellers are encountering on eBay, eBay could do that little bit more.

Ian

[Last edited: 2 Dec 2015]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here

StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager