Can Amazon set your prices across all marketplaces?

Poster
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
Can Amazon set your prices across all marketplaces?
30 Nov 2015
I am confused about Amazon's Terms of Service. They seem to want all sellers to sell at the same price across all marketplaces (Ebay, proprietary sites, etc). This is the policy I have stuck to, although my profits on Amazon are, of course, lower than those on my own site. However, other sellers say that they vary their prices across marketplaces.

I am referring to Amazon.com (USA). I have read that in the EU Amazon was prohibited from these TOS for restraint of trade reasons. (I guess those laws still exist in Europe. How quaint.)

I would prefer to charge slightly more on Amazon and Ebay, just to defray some of my costs there, but I don't want to run afoul of their TOS and get shut down. I don't mind paying Amazon their well-deserved commission, but I don't like them setting my prices across the board.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

[Last edited: 30 Nov 2015]
United States United States
Outlet Trail
Kudos: 18
Re: Can Amazon set your prices across all marketplaces?
1 Dec 2015
@ScarfKing
That is correct. If you sell as vendor name XYZ at a certain price on Amazon, then any website where you sell as vendor XYZ has to have the same sell price. You cannot sell for more (only less) on Amazon Amazon does monitor it. They will send a warning and threaten to stop your selling privelages if you do not follow their Agreement Terms.
United States United States
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
1 Dec 2015
@Outlet Trail
Thanks so much. I appreciate your help, even if I would have preferred a different answer.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,631
14 Dec 2015
An interesting blog post on this topic was published a few days ago:

www.xsellco.com/blog/the-littl...that-could-burn-your-business/

XSellco wrote:

We spoke to Amazon who confirmed that their automated system continually checks and informs the seller within 15 minutes if a violation has occurred. You will receive a policy warning in your Amazon seller central account.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Laval, Quebec Canada
coraslewis_info
Kudos: 26
15 Dec 2015
@Andy Thanks for the post.. I will surely read this one

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo