Amazon and eBay 2015 results are in

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Amazon and eBay 2015 results are in
31 Jan 2016
Amazon and eBay both announced their 2015 financial results this week.

Amazon's 2015 sales were up 26%, and eBay's were up 5% (excluding the impact of exchange rates).

Amazon: www.businesswire.com/news/home...s-Fourth-Quarter-Sales-22-35.7
eBay: www.businesswire.com/news/home...-Fourth-Quarter-Full-Year-2015

So once again, Amazon look all-conquering and eBay look feeble.

As a business selling though those marketplaces, what do you think to the latest results?

Does this kind of thing interest you? Is it just fuel for the media, and stock market speculators?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 171
Re: Amazon and eBay 2015 results are in
1 Feb 2016
@Andy, there is no doubt the Amazon is growing at a pace eBay will never match as they try to duplicate instead of separate themselves. To be unique in a one horse race will be the saving grace for eBay but hopefully the powers to be will see that the Volkswagen can't out-run the Ferrari and their car is suffering in the race.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
1 Feb 2016
I wonder where eBay's growth is coming from. I see them shrinking every month in my business. Perhaps it is from companies like Macy's or similar stores.
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 171
1 Feb 2016
@Jax Music Supply , Chinese and big box stores...little guys slowly getting pushed out
Supplier
United States United States
ecommerceChris
Kudos: 37
2 Feb 2016
@Andy

I remember this debate years ago while working at Amazon. They'd publish similar numbers, and even back then we didn't think much of Ebay or its relevance. At this point I think Ebay represents an additional revenue channel but little more, they are consistently losing more market share to Amazon with each passing year. I have few if any discussions about Ebay and their importance as a marketplace when I talk to sellers.

The verdict is in. It's only a matter of time while Ebay dwindles and Amazon grows.

Chris McCabe
ecommerceChris.com
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
2 Feb 2016
@chris574

Maybe I am misunderstanding the figures, but it looks to me that the eBay marketplace is larger than the Amazon marketplace.

eBay's 2015 total GMV was $82 billion - all from marketplace sellers of course.

Amazon's 2015 sales were $107 billion. The last figure they published for the % of marketplace sales was over 40% so if that still holds then the Amazon marketplace accounts for around $43 billion of sales.

So Amazon's marketplace is a little over half the size of eBay, no? Why aren't sellers reporting better results?
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
15 Mar 2016
I'm going to correct myself here.

Amazon doesn't report GMV like eBay, it reports "net sales" which is the full sale price for first-party items but only the commission (fees) for third-party sales.

There's a detailed explanation here, about halfway down the page:

www.treetis.com/blog/2015/2/20/amzn-sales-deceleration

So Amazon's global third-party GMV is probably more in the region of $100+ billion.

I actually knew that but somehow managed to forget when I wrote before...

Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office