The Differences In Selling Platforms

Poster
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,316
The Differences In Selling Platforms
5 Feb 2016
I have to admit that I was slightly bored tonight, so thought I would look at some figures for January.

They are quite interesting as they show a distinct difference between our eBay and Amazon customers.

Figures are taken between Jan 1st and 31st 2016.

Total sales:
eBay - 1511 (22.65%)
Amazon FBM - 1375 (20.61%)
Amazon FBA - 3415 (51.17%)
Other - 372 (5.57%)

Number of messages received:
eBay - 732 (91.62%)
Amazon FBM - 64 (8.01%)
Amazon - FBA - N/A (0.00%)
Other - 3 (0.37%)

Item not received claims:
eBay - 124 (99.2%)
Amazon FBM - 1 (0.8%)
Amazon FBA - N/A (0.0%)
Other - 0 (0.0%)

Returns:
eBay - 24 (92.3%)
Amazon FBM - 1 (3.85%)
Amazon FBA - 1 (3.85%)
Other - 0

Claims for Not As Described:
eBay - 47 (100%)
Amazon FBM - 0
Amazon FBA - 0
Other - 0

The figures did surprise me and I did have to double check, but they are all accurate. All eBay, 'other' and Amazon FBM items were dispatched by the same people via the same postal methods from our warehouse, all same or next working day..

I think it just goes to show how much hard work selling on eBay is these days.

Maybe eBay customers are more inquisitive, have a poor postal service, are using the awful eBay app or have just searched for 'ways to rob eBay sellers' on Google. (Try it !!)

No matter what the reason, we have found that selling on eBay for us is certainly a lot harder work and more labour intensive than it used to be.

[Last edited: 5 Feb 2016]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United Kingdom United Kingdom
dan977
Kudos: 21
Re: The Differences In Selling Platforms
8 Feb 2016
Of course, what is needed here is context. If you were selling 10x as much stock on ebay as Amazon then these figure would not be so shocking? So some notion of the split in your business would be handy.

Dan
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
eBay buyers 10x more demanding than Amazon buyers?!
8 Feb 2016
Thanks Ian, those numbers are shocking!

Comparing eBay with Amazon FBM (it seems fair not to compare FBA with eBay)...

Messages per order
eBay: 0.48
Amazon FBM: 0.046

So eBay buyers send 10x more messages than Amazon FBM buyers.

The numbers for FBM for item not received, returns and not as described are negligible so can't even compare those!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Croatia Croatia
info918
Kudos: 28
9 Feb 2016
@Bigian13

Great explain. Thank you. Have a nice day from eBay Top rated seller
United States United States
gideon137
Kudos: 68
9 Feb 2016
What these numbers reflect are the growing numbers of scamming buyers that are being enabled by eBay's bad policies. As founder of two Former Ebay Sellers groups on FB I see horror stories daily along the lines of false claims of "item not received" or "item not as described" by scamming buyers against small sellers on eBay.
eaglesontom
Kudos: 15
9 Feb 2016
Im looking to sell on both eBay and Amazon so I have a few questions for you all
- I've heard that eBay users are more demanding before - why do you all think this is so?
- What else makes eBay harder and more time consuming than Amazon?
- I've sold on eBay before, but not Amazon so curious how Amazon selling is so hot right now as opposed to selling on eBay!
Thanks,
Tom
Croatia Croatia
info918
Kudos: 28
9 Feb 2016
@eaglesontom

''Im looking to sell on both eBay and Amazon''

You are on the right way. Just go and don't stop.

''I've heard that eBay users are more demanding before - why do you all think this is so?''

It's to relative from seller to seller(sellers from USA doing better work because got better postal service from USA to worldwide). Also it's to relative form country to country you know what I mean and what staff do you sell. Generally the worst buyers, also very rude buyers, buyers with no manners are coming from Middle East and other similar poor country().

''What else makes eBay harder and more time consuming than Amazon?''

Personally I left from Amazon because that have to much strict politics for me(picture, listings, visitor counter, money transfer). eBay is much more comfortable for doing business for me. It's real ''American''. I think Amazon buyers are some kind of people who I say for him ''jet set people'' I don't know how say else that.

''I've sold on eBay before, but not Amazon so curious how Amazon selling is so hot right now as opposed to selling on eBay!''

Try and you will see.
gideon137
9 Feb 2016
@eaglesontom BULLET LIST FROM A BLOG POSTER OF WHAT'S WRONG AT EBAY FOR SMALL SELLERS:
ROLLING BLACKOUTS (a seller's items only shown to one section of the country)
HIDDEN LISTINGS (eBay in User Agreement tells you your item may NOT be shown)
FRAUD
COMPETITOR ADS BELOW YOUR ITEM (other competing items shown)
POOR CS (outsourced reps who speak English as a second language)
HIGH FEES (higher than anywhere else online)
EXTRA HIDDEN FEES
40% RETURN RATE
SALES LIMITS
HOLDS PLACED ON YOUR PAYPAL FUNDS (up to 21 days and not just newbies)
DEFECT RATES (will get you suspended quickly and can occur unfairly)
NO SELLER PROTECTION (seriously, none)
NO SELLER SUPPORT (again seriously, it's non-existent)
HUGE STRESS LEVELS (talk to thousands of suspended sellers)
ADS FROM OTHER SELLERS WHILE BUYERS CHECK OUT
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
9 Feb 2016
@dan977

You must have missed the first part !

Total sales:
eBay - 1511 (22.65%)
Amazon FBM - 1375 (20.61%)
Amazon FBA - 3415 (51.17%)
Other - 372 (5.57%)
Can't really give a better split than this.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
10 Feb 2016
After further digging through the eBay messages, I have found the following:

Total messages 732
Change of address pre dispatch - 22 (3%)
Change of address post dispatch - 7 (1%)
Order cancellation pre dispatch - 35 (4.8%)
Order cancellation post dispatch - 6 (0.8%)
Can I get a discount ? - 37 (5.05%)
More info please - 89 (12.2%)
Wish to return - 55 (7.5%)
Other - 63 (8.6%)
Item not received - 418 (57.1%)

Of the 418 messages for item not received:
Made before the due delivery date - 65 (15.5%)
After due delivery date - 353 - (84.5%)

Of the 418 messages for item not received:
Made a claim through eBay - 124 (29.4%)
Made a claim through PayPal - 10 (2.4%)
Were persuaded, politely, to stop trying to rip us off as we have tracking / signature / anything else we could throw at them 284 (68.2%)

Of the 124 item not received claims:
Items refunded to customer at eBay cost - 47 (38%)
Items refunded to customer at our cost - 67 (54%)
Thrown out by eBay - 10 (8%)
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
10 Feb 2016
Thanks Ian, amazing stuff.

My reading of that is yes, there are a lot of eBay buyers attempting to rip off sellers in a pretty brazen way. Quite shocking how rampant it seems to be, and it explains a large proportion of the messages.

A lot of the rest of it seems "cultural" to me. eBay buyers are open to the idea of asking for a discount or more information, which just doesn't happen with Amazon.

With eBay, asking the seller a question is actively encouraged while with Amazon I'd say it's (passively) discouraged by giving hardly any visibility of how to do that.

I think all this backs up the popular view that eBay is like a flea market / car boot sale with a lot of chatter, haggling and dirty tricks going on.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
gideon137
10 Feb 2016
@Andy You're correct up to a point with the caveat being that a buyer can inadvertently open a case against a seller on eBay simply by asking a question if they are a newbie buyer and don't know what they are doing. This "question" is then counted as a Defect against the seller. Various penalties against that seller are then instantly triggered simply by the presence of that Defect (impossible to get removed, btw). These penalities include: 21-day holds on the seller's PayPal funds, the imposing of lower selling limits which reduce the number of items a seller can list, and more. If Guardrail or Quick Decline gets triggered (see the YouTube video about this), the seller is on the fast track to suspension from eBay.
alottasigns
Kudos: 38
10 Feb 2016
@eaglesontom I used to sell on ebay, but experienced no seller support and multiple fraudulent claims from buyers where ebay always sided with the buyer with no investigation of the facts. They also restricted my account several times (each time longer) for selling what they referred to as "Trademark Violations" which again there was no investigation of facts. I knew my day was coming on ebay so I closed my account permanently before they did it for me. I imported all of my listings to toucandeal.com and am happy there, as they don't control your business, returns, etc. Unfortunately there isn't enough sales to sell there exclusively, but it's a backup.

We have been selling on amazon since 2011 and the sales have been good. I never compared the actual numbers, but there are far fewer claims of Item not as Described and returns on amazon than ebay. We have had a handful of claims and similar to ebay, they will always side with the buyer, regardless of the reason. Amazon, similar to ebay, has a rating system that allows buyers to "Score" your performance. For example, if a buyer doesn't like that they have to pay for return shipping, they can leave a negative review (different than feedback). You performance can get you suspended. You're performance also affects how often you're in the "Buy Box" which is Gold on amazon. They also give priority to FBA, regardless of pricing. We are CONSTANTLY having to adjust prices and listings. It's not pleasant, but for now it keeps us busy.

Brings another point... if a buyer on ebay opens a claim of "Not as Described" ebay automatically forces the seller to pay for return shipping. The buyers know this so they usually use this choice when starting a claim. Even if they just change their mind, they choose Item not as described so they don't have to pay for return shipping.

Ebay and amazon use the adage "The customer is ALWAYS right" but they are very confused because the buyer is not their customer. The buyer is the seller's customer and the seller is amazon and ebay's customer. If you sell on ebay or amazon, you work for them. You can no longer refer to yourself as self employed. You will probably get sales at either venue, but always have a backup because just like tens of thousands of small sellers, it can also come to a screeching halt with no warning and with no fault of your own.
taframp
Kudos: 33
14 Feb 2016
www.fool.com/investing/general...s-the-better-e-commerce-s.aspx

How can an eBay Store owner have 226 Positive Feedbacks for 100% satisfaction, have been with eBay for 11 years with no issues, has promoted and advocated eBay, and trusts eBay to earn an income and yet have a Below Standard rating? eBay shows 7 defects against my store. There is a reason for every single one of them. ITEMS SOLD SHOULD RELATE TO $$$ AMOUNT SOLD. I am selling watches...NOT SOCKS! I will sell less watches than socks, but they cost more. Therefore, your BELOW STANDARD RATING SYSTEM SHOULD REFLECT THE COST OF THE ITEMS SOLD. In other words, if I sold 81 pair of socks for $81 and had 7 defects vs 81 watches for $13K with 7 questionable defects. You have access to the communication between my buyers and me and can clearly see why these were considered "defects"...3 of which I was actually out of stock with because a distributer couldn't fulfill my order. Your taking me from a $50K monetary limit down to $7500, and 150 items down to 50...I HAD TO DELETE 75% of my items to meet your "standards" for something that we have a perfect explanation for....AT CHRISTMAS? Thanks for nothing, eBay!!!! You threw a wrench in my road to retirement but don’t care to REASON the defect rating system you created. EXTREMEMLY UNSTATISFIED WITH EBAY. READ MY FEEDBACKS AND TELL ME I HAVE UNSATISFIED CUSTOMERS…READ THE EMAILS REFERENCING THE RETURNS OR WHAT YOU CALL DEFECTS (being out of stock with something a distributor couldn’t produce is a defect?....REALLY? Bet you can't find a major retailer that ALWAYS has everything in stock. But of course they are feeding eBay the big bucks and sell more items so being out of stock on 3 items wouldn't hurt their rating). Imagine closing 75% of a WalMart store and telling them they have to improve sales/ratings before they can reopen the whole store again…How insane of an idea is that? Finally, if eBay is reducing my selling limits the cost for my store should also be reduced.

[Last edited: 14 Feb 2016]
alottasigns
Kudos: 38
14 Feb 2016
@taframp It's unfortunate, but such a common screw by ebay. Too much effort is being spent by sellers to keep their products active and up to ebay's standards. We totally gave up on ebay and moved products to toucandeal.com. Sales are slow, but it's still new. If people put the same effort they do for ebay, we might have something soon.

Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder
World First