The Differences In Selling Platforms

Poster
taframp
Kudos: 33
Re: The Differences In Selling Platforms
14 Feb 2016
@alottasigns Thanks....eBay pretty much makes you feel like your working for them (and that's a perfect way to put it). I know...I have a full time job and 7 Sales Reps who work under me. I'll look into your suggested site. Tried Webstore.com and some others. No luck.
United States United States
alottasigns
Kudos: 38
15 Feb 2016
@taframp Don't expect much, after all it's new, but there are currently no fees and there is no seller control. As long as there aren't monthly fees if there aren't sales, it doesn't hurt. I share my listings on Facebook and have sales here and there. It will pick up when more people get wind of it. I'm all about promoting something like this, as ebay needs some competition.
Canada Canada
lanzwalcott
Kudos: 15
17 Feb 2016
@dan977 i am just about to get started on amazon just checking sf interesting need a mentor???
Ukraine Ukraine
westinger
Kudos: 25
22 Feb 2016
Good explanation, thanks to you!
And what do you think about Chinese selling platforms like ALiexpress?
Supplier
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Veeqo
Kudos: 91
23 Feb 2016
Ebay certainly has many issues.
I am shocked by the number of attempted fraud on eBay.
That said comparing eBay to Amazon is like comparing Yahoo search to Google search, they are used by very different people, built differently so there's bound to be different numbers.
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
Kudos: 155
13 Apr 2016
Ebay buyers generally have gmail, yahoo, or hotmail anonymous email accounts to try and be untraceable.

In addition they have anonymous non contract mobile phones, again, to try and be untraceable.

A thieves Kitchen
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,251
26 Apr 2016
@sunny_boy

Yes user names, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and ip addresses can easily be changed, the one thing that can not and is easily traceable is the delivery address.

In my opinion, the only way to help prevent on-line fraud in the UK is for Royal Mail to create a database of 'dubious' addresses (me thinks they have one already !) and allow on-line sellers access to it, obviously for a small charge. Think Experian or Equifax for on-line deliveries.

As @happaprince has stated, eBay and Amazon customers appear to be very different people. I think that also applies to the quality, and number, of sellers.

On the majority of our Amazon listings we may be competing against 3 or 4 other sellers. On eBay this can be 20 to 30. We have seen sellers come and go on Amazon, never to be seen again. On eBay however they come and go and then appear again under a different id.

Now don't get me wrong, we as a company are far from perfect (Amazon 99%, eBay 99.4%) and there are a lot of really excellent sellers on eBay, but there are also a very large number of poor sellers. Maybe one attracts the other, if you know what I mean !

[Last edited: 26 Apr 2016]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United States United States
gideon137
Kudos: 68
5 May 2016
@Bigian13 Even YouTube videos are railing against what eBay has become these days: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITn2-BI7mfA
simonthepieman
Kudos: 166
12 Jul 2016
@Bigian13

I am very interested how did this volume of flack on ebay effect your DSR ratings,
Bigian13
18 Jul 2016
@simonthepieman

We did suffer a minor glitch with DSR's, but maintained Top Seller throughout.

When you look at 67 out of 1511 were refunded by eBay (4.4%) it is a fairly big percentage of refunds. However we stood our ground, contacted other sellers and fought our case with eBay. We did get a few turned around on appeal after submitting evidence from other sellers.

Luckily we had a bumper December, February and March so that certainly helped.

If the same thing happened again, we probably wouldn't go to the same effort. eBay appears to be slowly dying, and we are putting more effort into other more profitable channels that appear to have a higher standard of buyer.

One of the other problems with eBay is they just don't think things through before implementing them. After the recent need to add EAN's to each product in many categories, it is rumoured that they have just realised (!) that each product may also have a unique MPN (really !!). At the moment there is only the option to add one MPN per MVL. This may be changing in the not too distant future meaning that sellers have to once again update their listings. More time and expense for minimal return.

When eBay make a change to their software, it often results in bugs, errors and sometimes site downtime. When Amazon make a change, hardly anybody notices.

I am not saying that any channel is perfect, and peoples experiences may differ from ours, but the common perception is that eBay is no where near as good as it was a few years ago, and shows no sign of improving.

If Devin Wenig wants to know why his company is going down hill, ask him to PM me. Bet he doesn't

[Last edited: 18 Jul 2016]
simonthepieman
Kudos: 166
19 Jul 2016
@Bigian13

thanks for your reply - my own experience was I lost my ebay account after 7 years when I had a poor DSR spell. (Slow delivery when I moved packing company). This is after putting a small mountain of effort into for sod all return. Did ebay want to take into account my previous 7 years good conduct
did the f***.

I have restarted my ebay accounts under my wifes old name. Will have to see if they catch up with me. However I am wondering if its worth the effort. I certainly wont be putting in the same levels of work on ebay.
Bigian13
29 Jul 2016
@simonthepieman

I agree, eBay is not one of our top priorities anymore either. They seem to be running around like headless chickens. They have their recent attempt at the 'buy box' so sellers that have optimised their listings to get them to the top of the default best match now have a link at the top of their listings to other sellers who sell the same product. Add to this the seriously flawed product reviews at the bottom of the listing and you have a big battle on your hands. Based on our experience you can also say very poor customer service / back up, and buyers who suffer from the worst postal service in the world and you are seriously up against it.

One thing that really makes me smile is that it is against eBay policy to ask a buyer to complete a transaction outside of eBay, but they are happy to have adds at the bottom of your listing to websites selling an identical product to the one that you were just viewing. That really sums up what they think about sellers !

Depending on what you sell, have you tried other sales channels such as Fruugo (UK based and worldwide platform) and Cdiscount in France ? Based on this months sales over 40% of our orders (excluding Amazon FBA) have come from these two channels. Might be worth a look.

Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister