The Differences In Selling Platforms

Poster
Kadar Khan
Kudos: 99
Re: The Differences In Selling Platforms
9 Feb 2017
These figures are really not only interesting but shocking. In my opinion, eBay and Amazon buyers behave differently for the following reasons.

eBay's Feedback Versus Amazon Reviews

When you think of Amazon it is almost spontaneous to think about the reviews. In fact, Amazon is among the pioneers of customer's reviews in the ecommerce space.

Most customers while buying on Amazon first read reviews of a product left by customers. The reviwes have been classifed as 1 to 5 stars and the customer write as much detail as possible.

Once the customers have read the reviews then they proceed for some cursory glance over the description by the seller.

On the other hand in eBay, it is the reverse order. Potential buyers first read the seller's description and then may check their feedback score which does not give them much detail about the customer's experience with the product.

Amazon reviews mainly focus on the product, while eBay's feedback mainly focus on the seller. Consequently, Amazon buyers' make more informed decision while making a purchase as compared to buyers on eBay.

Origins of the Platforms

Amazon originally started as online book seller and later on expanded to other areas. People who started on Amazon were mostly edcuated and related to the colleges and universities.

On other hand eBay started as an auction site for clearing you attic or anything which could otherwise could be chucked in the bin. People who started with eBay were bargain hunters. They would try squeeze out a bargain of every single penny. Then imagine people on the Sunday or carboot markets and those in colleges and universities. They cannot behave in a similar fashion. No offence!

Amazon started as a retailer so took good care of its customer to establish itself. On other hand, eBay was a platform in its early days where many (not all) sellers tried to rip the buyers off and vice versa.

To summarise:

Amazon customers base consists of more educated and well off classes, while eBay's customer base for the most part are less educated and low income classes.

Customers on Amazon make their decision based on the reviews left by customers while eBay's customer base it on sellers description etc.

Amazon customers are more informed while eBay's customers are poorly informed (not all obviously).

Over the years, Amazon has established itself as a trust brand, whereas due to a history of sellers and buyers scams eBay got a favourite of such visitors.

[Last edited: 9 Feb 2017]
Aliso Viejo, CA United States
niftyson
Kudos: 21
13 Feb 2017
@gideon137

Most of these issues sound like my complaints against Amazon.

I've been happy with eBay support for the last 12 months of selling. Maybe they changed and your quoting an old blog post which you failed to provide a reference to.
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Kadar Khan
Kudos: 99
15 Feb 2017

niftyson wrote:

@gideon137

Most of these issues sound like my complaints against Amazon.

I've been happy with eBay support for the last 12 months of selling. Maybe they changed and your quoting an old blog post which you failed to provide a reference to.
Among several factors as mentioned in this thread by various members, the type of product, the type of customers and volume also matter.
United States United States
cdlgreen
Kudos: 15
22 Feb 2017
@Bigian13
Thanks for the info. My experience selling on Amazon using FBA in 2014 was quite different. The return rate was more like 20% with Amazon's no questions asked return policy. Customers returned worn shoes, worn and laundered scrubs and even embroidered scrubs. I found about the abuse only after having recalled the "unsaleable" items to my warehouse. I had to take pictures of each recalled item and dispute each item to have Amazon reimburse me.

xSellco 2
2nd Office
Amazowl
Volo