Amazon Seller Types - Pros and Cons - Vendor vs Marketplace

Poster
Ecom-Brands
Kudos: 20
Amazon Seller Types - Pros and Cons - Vendor vs Marketplace
14 Mar 2016
I currently work for big brand and have worked with 2 other big brands over the last 10 years.

The big topic of discussion is how to handle Amazon.com

For me the answer is very easy, create a marketplace account and have your skilled and experience direct to consumer team manage Amazon. Just like they manage your own branded ecommerce website and other marketplaces.

No need for traditional retail relationship and sales team relationship skill set. You need ecommerce and digital marketing pros with good software like Channel Advisor.

Then why is Amazon forcing us to sell under vendor program where you sell to them at wholesale price + coop marketing + SVS merchandiser and more with no control over your products, merchandising and price. All for much less profit and big headaches.

Would love to hear about others and how you manage Amazon.com

Thanks
United States United States
Ecom-Brands
Kudos: 20
Re: Amazon Seller Types - Pros and Cons - Vendor vs Marketpl
14 Mar 2016
@Ecom-Brands

Here is more info regarding the Amazon Product Availability Policy for Manufacturers

You can see that if you sell your brand via other retailers/reseller, Amazon forces you to offer their retailer vendor team the opportunity to sell. But once you do this you lose all control of your brand at Amazon and get stuck into big contracts and pricing issues that hurt your other channels that have great unique sales & marketing vehicles like physical stores, in store sales experts and call centers. Amazon is not longer a retailer, they are a marketplace and should be managed just like eBay and other marketplaces. In the old days they were a retailer, but that has changed and many marketplace only brands are winning big by only selling via marketplace seller type.

www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome....html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201805990

There are very few brands that I know if that have Amazon hybrid seller type relationship (under armour, bose, kanex). All other big brands are marketplace only or vendor only selling relationship at Amazon.

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware