Problems with Amazon European Marketplace Integration?

Poster
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
Problems with Amazon European Marketplace Integration?
29 Mar 2016
We sell on all European marketplaces but fulfill out of the UK.

Though we have less than 50 skus, they are constantly out of sync, or disappear, or have their colors or browse nodes stripped out or have their titles or bullet points corrupted. We have uploaded and re-uploaded many times, and this problem seems to be with the Amazon integration between marketplaces, rather than with anything we did wrong. We even woke up one morning to find out that all our skus in the UK were inactive because the browse nodes had been stripped out of some, and the size and color had been stripped out of others.

It is CONSTANT. We want to increase our skus, but I don't see how it will be possible to keep them all active without tasking someone for 3-4 hours a day just to get stuff back that was fine the day before.

Has anyone else had this problem?
United Kingdom United Kingdom
lukasrarog
Kudos: 18
Re: Problems with Amazon European Marketplace Integration?
29 Mar 2016
Yeah, the same situation with us.
Does anybody know a solution?
United States United States
ScarfKing
29 Mar 2016
@lukasrarog

We thought it might have been because, initially, we uploaded into foreign marketplaces using the same UK spreadsheet with the translations, but now that we've corrected that, we still have the most of the preexisting problems.

We do not have these problems with Amazon.com, so I think it has to do with Amazon's marketplace integration.

Interested to see if anyone has solved this problem.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
15 Apr 2016
I cannot state for certain in the EU marketplace (I only do UK right now) but in the US the Canadian marketplaces is supposed to by synched but it doesn't seem to work. After this was discovered (after I was suspended from the Canadian marketplace for awhile) I set up my product synchs to interact with Canada also. No problems since. So the lesson to me is to not rely on Amazon for stock and price synchronization but to make sure you are submitting your feeds for all marketplaces.
ScarfKing
15 Apr 2016
@Jax Music Supply

Thanks, Jax. We're about to start selling in Canada, but we are warehousing and fulfilling out of the Canadian FCs. Are you fulfilling to CA out of US fulfillment centers?

Did you set up your product syncs to sync the CA and US marketplaces with a 3rd party software, or within the Amazon back end?

Things are getting a bit better in Europe. One of the problems is that a lot of things involved with uploading and listing are not well documented, or even documented at all. You have to learn them by making mistakes, and then (if you're lucky) Amazon support says "Oh, you should have done that!" or "Oh, that doesn't work with Brand Registry."

One example is on the upload spreadsheets, they tell you that your choices for one column are either "delete" or "update," where the actual correct value 95 times out of 100 is "Partialupdate." It's not even documented on the template. Learning that fact was key to getting our marketplaces to be more stable.

That being said, we still wake up and find listings corrupted, or suddenly missing browse nodes etc etc. I'm just figuring that when autumn comes and we have hundreds of skus, I'll just have to pay someone to spend a couple of hours every day checking the various markets.

Japan is crazier: my employee had to switch her entire Mac operating system to Japanese to do the upload correctly, Again, not something you find out by reading the documentation.

Best of luck and thanks again for posting.
Supplier
London United Kingdom
fion.volocommerce
Kudos: 70
17 May 2016
Hi @ScarfKing,

What is the process you use to upload all of this stock?

Is there stock just waiting in the warehouse ready to list because of this?
ScarfKing
17 May 2016
@fion.Volocommerce
Our product cycle in the past was to develop product in the winter and get it all up in the summer, using a 3rd Party listing service. It's a big effort in a condensed time-frame, but we generally can get everything up.

I searched long and hard for listing software, but most of them can't list variants, or else they can't create ASINS in Amazon, (we are brand-registered) or had one issue or other that disqualified them. Our current software is great at managing inventory but has weak listing and limited reporting. Still, for the level we're at it has been great and I wish their direction was more in sync with where we're going.

We're currently contemplating looking at Channel Advisor, but I'm weighing the costs versus the ability to get out to many more markets. They can create ASINS, which is necessary for us, and they also centralize all the Amazon listing errors, which makes it easy to fix them across all marketplaces, rather than having to survey each one of the eight marketplaces we sell in. And also, excellent reporting and uploading capabilities. Our two big questions: is the added expense right for our projected level of business? And: would we be better off thoroughly optimizing our Amazon marketplaces through this year rather than taking on more marketplaces and a new platform? We have limited resources for integrating new software.

I did contact Volo about 6 weeks ago but the salesperson felt we were too small, so I never found out exactly what Volo could or couldn't do for us. That's fine, but Channel Advisor spent about 90 minutes showing how they could save us time and expand our business. They definitely made an impression.
ScarfKing
17 May 2016
@lukasrarog

We finally deleted all our Spanish listings, waited 24 hours, then relisted them, and they've been stable ever since. However, it annihilated our traffic and we still haven't recovered 15 days later. For that reason, I'm a bit nervous about doing the same thing in our more important marketplaces.

Good luck!
Supplier
London United Kingdom
fion.volocommerce
Kudos: 70
17 May 2016
Hi @scarfking, thanks for your reply! I'll try and answer in two parts...

In regards to looking at new marketplaces, my advice would be to concentrate on the ones you are on and really get the most out of those channels. Perfect them and then look at other marketplaces - be that in the US or internationally. There are great tools out there to see what the proportion of the market you have on these various channels is - I think there is a link on Web Retailer listing those... but I was unable to find it! Not only this but you can see how your product, or similar products, are performing on other marketplaces. It may be the case that it isn't that successful and would be an extra cost/effort to list onto that platform.

Have a look at this: the top marketplaces in Europe (as you can see Amazon.de comes out on top followed by the UK) www.bvoh.de/overview-of-online-marketplaces-across-europe/

As for the Volo vs ChannelAdvisor part, I don't really want to start a comparison on here as it is not my place or appropriate! Every business is different. As a result, some platforms work for certain businesses, and don't work for others. As you mentioned, the software you are using now works well however might not be sustainable for the future. In the same way, ours may not be right for you either hence why when you spoke with us, we advised that we probably aren't the right partner for you. I don't really want to go through what we can do for you on here but feel free to go to our website - it may be the case where we are a better partner for you in the future!
ScarfKing
17 May 2016
@fion.Volocommerce

Thanks for the advice and that very helpful link.
United Kingdom United Kingdom
manu
Kudos: 23
18 May 2016
@ScarfKing
Yes, we found that we have to amend our FBA items from time to time. Sometimes my team converts them to FBM just to keep selling. I am often ringing Amazon on to why this happens, but not concrete answer.

Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder
World First