Non-EBay Auction Business

Poster
halley
Kudos: 20
Non-EBay Auction Business
13 Jan 2007
Hi,

I am planning to start an online auction business that is independent of ebay (though may be integrated with it later). I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software that does 2 things:

1. Is Mac compatible
2. Can be incorporated with Dreamweaver 8 so that audio and video podcasts may be added

Thanks... I appreciate any suggestions!
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
Re: Non-EBay Auction Business
21 Jan 2007
Hi halley, and welcome to the site!

I take it you want to start your own auction site, rather than sell on existing marketplaces other than eBay.

These normally require you have a web hosting provider who incudes a database such as MySQL or SQL Server and will allow you to install third-party "scripts" to run an online auction.

I would start with the auction software itself rather than the hosting, as the software will have requirements which your hosting company will have to satisfy - and the software company may be able to recommend a suitable host or even provide a hosting service themselves.

Try www.rainworx.com or other auction providers are listed in DMOZ

Most products use web-based admin pages so Mac compatibility shouldn't be a problem. As the software is normally in the form of "scripts" written in languages such as PHP or ASP, they can be customized. The ease of customization will vary greatly between products and you may find you need a professional programmer to do that work so you can acheive the effect you want without "breaking" the scripts.

I hope that helps!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
halley
Kudos: 20
23 Jan 2007
Thanks Andy- the DMOZ site is extremely helpful!!
juandeplayas
Kudos: 15
9 Aug 2007
Andy, I am collecting data to be used in building an auction site with tremendous potential. Currently the best software would appear to be Rainworx. We need multi-language capability, and all the premiums services to go with a world class e-business site. Do you have any other recommendations?

[Last edited: 9 Aug 2007]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
10 Aug 2007
Hi juandeplayas,

I don't have any other recommendations, but that's not to say there aren't other good solutions out there.

Rainworx requires a Windows-based server. If you want a PHP solution, you may find these reviews of PHP Pro Bid and PHP Auction XL useful.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
OneToRemember
Kudos: 85
3 Oct 2007
I have a RainWorx site and it works very well. I have had it for a long time and upgarded recently to the latest version - which was free. It all works very well. Pop along and take a look

www.wxtrade.com

I would welcome your feedback - or you can leave some thoughts on our discussion site - www.onetoremember.co.uk/community
www.EnergyBook.co.uk - the green, free alternative to ebay

www.OneToRemember.co.uk - sustianable living book and ebook shop

Please pop along and we would love to see you there!
chrisdiggit
Kudos: 15
11 Oct 2007
Hi THere,

Take a look at EB auction Solutions, (AKA exchangeblvd.com), and see if your ideas may be along the same lines as theirs. They incorporate across ALL market platforms, not just eBay.
Ajax technologyused, and .NET environment. It costs a fair penny to become a "technology partner" with eBay, so maybe you can piggy-back?

Good luck!!

Chris

Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office