Releasing a new product and staying non-compete

United States United States
Kudos: 15
Releasing a new product and staying non-compete
17 Jun 2016
Hi everyone,

My organization just recently opened up to the ecommerce world. We have had products on Amazon and other big box retailer DOTCOMs, as well as their brick and mortar counterparts. However, we are launching a new line of products that differs from our original products.

I have been set with the task of launching these new products but the "higher ups" wish for the release to be very selective in order to gain more value around the product... so it will not be offered to our big box retailers and amazon. That being said, this product does not have the budget to be sent to hundreds of people for online reviewing and blogging, nor do we, and I, have the time to go all over the country pitching a product with no sales. So my question is, how do I convince the higher-ups that we either need to put the product on our own ECommerce site (which currently has no products that any other retailer sales in fear of being competitive) or increase the budget to get the data we need to sell it selectively?

Or maybe both of those approaches are wrong... I am looking for some suggestions on how to approach this new product while growing my ecommerce channel.

Thanks for any help and discussion around this!
United States United States
Kudos: 53
Re: Releasing a new product and staying non-compete
21 Jun 2016
@Boxinabag I would suggest an alternative that is somewhere in between. In the interest of disclosure, this is something my company does all day / every day.

As an alternative, you could partner with an established professional online brand management / online marketplace firm to handle your online marketplace release. They can scale the release to meet your timeframe, are not associated with your store name, and should be able to provide all listing and fulfillment services for free (we do) with an exclusive as long as you have product photos and collateral.

Unlike striking a deal with a retailer directly (i.e. Amazon), you won't have to bend to their will and eat into your bottom line due to chargebacks, returns, etc.

Your partner would handle MAP enforcement, marketplace advertising, fulfillment, repricing, restocking, returns, customer service, the whole nine yards. You maintain control of your brand, MAP, and approved marketplaces.

If you go this route, I'd suggest carefully evaluating whom you partner with. Of course, we'd love to throw our hat in the ring, but a minimum you should ask about their customer service rating (on all platforms), date of first sale, category approvals, MAP enforcement tools, etc.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions or clarify if I missed the boat.

Xpress Lister
2nd Office