Mobile App for your Ecommerce Store - How effective is that?
Closed

Poster
Sairam Sridhar
Kudos: 47
Mobile App for your Ecommerce Store - How effective is that?
30 Jun 2016
Hello everyone! This blog post is about how a mobile app would be a great addition to your existing online store. I believe M-commerce is the way forward. What about you?

vajro.com/necessity-mobile-app-e-commerce/
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,313
Re: Mobile App for your Ecommerce Store - How effective is t
1 Jul 2016
@Sairam Sridhar

It all depends on what you sell.

if a customer buys from a certain range of products every few years, the chance of an app staying on a phone for that long are virtually nill.

If a customer is buying a range of products weekly such as groceries, then there is a good chance that an app would be a good idea.

I take it that you work for / are affiliated to the people you link to ?
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
India India
Sairam Sridhar
5 Jul 2016
@Bigian13 hey Ian, I would like to partially agree to your point. Sure it depends on what you sell. I am a big fan of mCommerce. I am sure you would have heard about android instant that is waiting to get released along with Android N, where you'd get to use an app even without downloading. It's not a bad thing to go ahead before it becomes a race. And of course, whether a company needs an app or not, completely depends on whether that particular product needs it or not. But when the investment is less, the prospect of your ROI is more. I hope I explained to you
Bigian13
7 Jul 2016
@Sairam Sridhar

To be totally honest, the only apps that I can see being the 'next big thing' are price comparison apps that can compare anything from a pint of milk to your next house.

Pretty soon (or can you do it already ?) you will be able to say to Cortana or Siri 'cheapest milk within 100 metres' to get the price, availability and directions (or order for delivery), without the need for a retailer specific app. This will be applied to virtually all products that are sold both on and offline.

Apps currently provided by retailers are too specific, and will therefore eventually become obsolete,

Consumers are getting more used to searching for products through the search engines. This is ultimately helped by shopping channels requiring EAN / UPC codes which are visible to the buyer and therefore aiding their search, through the likes of Google and the price comparison websites currently available.
India India
Sairam Sridhar
15 Jul 2016
@Bigian13 Not arguing about the price comparison apps. But I do not believe that they would replace the need for mobile apps. Again I would like to stress about google bringing in Google Instant. And if anything at all would happen because of the price comparison apps, they would only increase the need for an eCommerce company to boost their apps.
Bigian13
18 Jul 2016
@Sairam Sridhar

I would have thought that price comparison apps are mobile apps ! Think ShopSavvy etc. Scan a barcode and get the best prices in store and online delivered to your mobile.

Google Instant has been available since around 2010 and is basically predictive search results. (Think predictive text on your mobile for those that don't know.)

Nowhere on Google or the developer forums does it suggest that availability of an app would get a higher ranking than a well optimised, and mobile friendly, web page. Yes, if an app is available it can be downloaded / viewed at the same page ranking, but no increase in ranking. You could argue that the app allows you to showcase your other products, but so does a well designed web page.

Price comparison apps will not increase the need for seller specific apps as they can easily and, more importantly (based on current Google algorithms), will link to a fully optimised web page rather than an app.

Buying and selling will continue to be 'page' based for the foreseeable future. Those selling apps will have to wait their turn.

[Last edited: 18 Jul 2016]
Poland Poland
Maciek Waynet ecommerce agency
Kudos: 57
19 Jul 2016
I think that responsive version of the e-shop is usually sufficient. In general, I agree with the @ Bigian13 - it all depends on what sells.
Waynet - effective e-commerce agency!
OpenSource development // UI/UX design // Conversion rate optimization // Comprehensive audits // Dedicated modules
Bigian13
21 Jul 2016
I can see that apps for companies such as Starbucks are useful, after all if you are desperate for one of their drinks it will tell you where the nearest outlet is. However for the large majority of sellers who are entirely web based or just have one or two b&m stores the chances of an app being useful are diminished.

My advice for smaller sellers, which is no doubt not perfect, is to spend your time and money getting the SEO right on your website rather than spend your money on producing an app. Higher placed search results should hopefully result in higher sales / ROI (so long as your products and pricing are right).

StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager