Selling on eBay, Froogle, Yahoo! & own site - HELP

Poster
jonnylbluejeans
Kudos: 50
Selling on eBay, Froogle, Yahoo! & own site - HELP
8 Feb 2007
We currently do most of our volume on ebay, but recently have been having some success on our website and Froogle. While not as profitable, we have ventured into Yahoo! and Ubid as well.

Currently we have our product information in our own database which we upload to our website, export for Google Base, and Yahoo!, and MANUALLY create for eBay inventory in Selling Manager Pro.

We are looking for management software that can maintain our inventory "types" as well as associated auctions(we have multiple auctions targeted at different audiences for the same product).

We are also looking for the software to handle post-sale functions like bulk packing list printing, shipping label printing (USPS w/ delivery confirmation).

If possible we are looking for a multi-channel application that could handle some (if not all) of our selling channels, including walk-ins.

Whew...

Any reccomendations? I've been looking around and see reviews (which are generally padded and contridictory)

[Vendors are welcome to speak up]
United States United States
jonnylbluejeans
Re: Selling on eBay, Froogle, Yahoo! & own site -
9 Feb 2007
Well, for anyone who cares... here is an EOD update.

It seems like if you are bringing in $40K a month+ then Channel Advisor Merchant is the way to go... hands down(2% FVF w/ $1000/mo min).

Otherwise, it looks like it's between Market Works(2% w/ $29.95/mo min + $499 setup fee) & E-Seller Pro(1.5% "Gross Turnover" fee [whatever that really means].

Anyway you slice it, it looks like my homegrown website flexibility cannot be matched by either product in my price range, so it's a war over who can do the Market coverage the best.
Canada Canada
WayneMachine
Kudos: 35
9 Feb 2007
I hope you make the right decision, it just doesn't seem right you're basing your decision on just price.

I mean I could get buy a Chevy for 1/4 the price of a Benz, doesn't mean I won't get the Mercedes.

There are a lot of factors in the eBay/on-line vendor universe. You have to consider product line and see what your competition uses, get an understanding of what your needs are and what particular points the companies can address.

Personally, I use Kyozou and have for about 10 months and its a pretty impressive piece of work. I sell a lot, enough to have been in San Francisco last month for eBay's top seller shindig. ChannelAdvisor, Kyozou and some others were there. I spoke to a lot of sellers and eBay people and Kyozou is well regarded. Its a weird and wacky world up in the top-seller world, I would say most are using one of the major companies, some love what they use, others don't but are too scared to change and others seem somewhere in the middle.

I'd say Channeladvisor is only worth it if you already have a backend as they like to do all sorts of data feeds from existing systems to shipping systems and things like that.

Remember, these are all very detailed programs and some basic tasks are handled very differently by each. The best I can tell you is put together a prepared list of questions and actually speak to them. Ask for demos, free trials, whatever you can to be informed. I spend a good part of my workday logged-in to Kyozou, you will likely do the same with whatever you choose - kind of like a marriage, so educate yourself before.

I could try and help you out if you have any detailed questions about Kyozou and users of Channeladvisor, Marketworks or eSellerPro (I don't see many sellers using them on ebay) can answer your questions about the system they use.
jonnylbluejeans
9 Feb 2007
Wayne,

I appreciate it. I don't think I'm solely basing my decision on price, but we have to be realistic.

Within the price range that I think I can support, I think that I have 2 very viable options...

We'll see.
Seller1
Kudos: 385
12 Feb 2007
It depends on what type of business you want to run. Are you concentrated on low margins and high sales? Unless you are really pushing a lot of sales, I don't think CA is the way to go. 1K a month? You've got to be kidding. By the way, the pricing you were quoted is not completely accurate. All of that stuff is negotiable and not advertised. Just work out the details with whatever company you are putting together a deal withI've heard of sellers receiving better and worse deals than what you posted.

If you want info that isn't contradictory, look at the top sellers on eBay and see what they are using.
jonnylbluejeans
13 Feb 2007
Yeah, I spoke with one of the guys at Marketworks. They wanted $499 to get started and 2% a month/3% for website sales.

I'm still trying to figure out just what it will provide me, and if it is worth my while. I have yet to see a demo of it.

I really want to kick the tires and see what it'll do/how it can help me.
Seller1
14 Feb 2007
You should right off the top get those numbers waived. But, I'm assuming that your numbers aren't high enough for them to make much money, so they probably are giving you the highest numbers possible. Get some more products up and start dominating! Then, switch over to them when you are ready.

Marketworks works if you know what you're doing. Most people take 2months to 2 years trying to figure out what works and doesn't. Save yourself the time and money! Get help from other people. The marketworks reps are pretty cool, but they don't know what's best for you specifically. So, put together a list of what you want out of a solution and set some goals for your business. Then, see if someone can give you some good tips. Those are my suggestions. Skulls615@aol.com. Send me an email if you want some quick tips. I'll do a quick glance at your store and see if there are some cool suggestions I have for your system.
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Poppygirl
Kudos: 211
20 Feb 2007
I would say ChannelAdvisor for small to medium wanting a turnover of £8000 a month plus.

Marketworks from about £100 to £5000-6000 a month as the reliability waivers and you start having to employ people to help cover the holes

Turbo Lister and SMP for under that and if you have unique items. If every single item to list is different no automation system is going to help you!

If you are easily confused with applications avoid Marketworks, its so quirky and more expensive than channeladvisor on higher volumes.
jonnylbluejeans
20 Feb 2007
After looking a a number of tools, and talking to a number of companies, I've decided to write my own.

I've downloaded the eBay API and will be writing the eBay hooks I need instead of revamping my entire process.

Thanks all for the input.
Seller1
21 Feb 2007
Poppy,

What problems are you talking about with regard to Marketworks? What specifically have you had issues with?
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
23 Feb 2007
Hi Jonny,

I can understand the attraction of creating your own system using the eBay API, as you can have it work in exactly the way you want, and fully control changes and enhancements.

I think that approach can work when you have a limited number of things you want to acheive, but be cautious if you are planning to build a full auction management system. eBay is a sophisticated system with 263 API calls - the WSDL (description of the SOAP API calls) alone weighs in at 3.11MB. You could easily spend thousands of developer hours creating a comprehensive system - why bother when others have already done that?

If you only want to export your inventory for listing look at eBay File Exchange.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor