Really surprised @ Marketworks & not in a good way

Poster
jonnylbluejeans
Kudos: 50
Really surprised @ Marketworks & not in a good way
13 Feb 2007
I read an awful lot about the tool including "user" reviews and other articles, so I decided to call their sales dept.

I spoke at length with Antonio who's main job is to slip you into $499 worth of training like it is mandatory, while he was supposed to be answering my questions.

He didn't lie, but then... he didn't tell the truth either.

Selling Manager Pro, Blackthorne, and a DB do all of the inventory management better than MW.

The only real positive that I took away was that MW can use ShipWorks for shipping. However.. Shipworks works with eBay directly.

So, what is MW's big buy??? Cross platform selling? Bah. I can do that with a DB export to a CSV file. (And so can you)

My advice to all, stay away from this overpriced, overhyped, and overrated product.

I was really hoping for it not to be true. But it is. It's ****. Everything it shows as features is a connection to another product...hell, I can do that too.

Hey, my DB feeds my website, it exports Google Base and Yahoo! feeds, and it generates my listing templates... maybe I should sell it for 2% of sales a month.

Do your own homework, but I say stay away.

[Last edited: 13 Feb 2007]
Canada Canada
WayneMachine
Kudos: 35
Re: Really surprised @ Marketworks & not in a good
14 Feb 2007
Well, every major systems is about centralizing things and have the many different ebay and other functions run somewhat automatically. The core strength is in the organization, reporting, elimination of repetetive tasks and the ability to grow with the system. I'm not defending Marketworks, i'm just not sure what you're expcting from a system.

Having said that I called marketworks the other day to ask about Google Checkout and the guy insisted Google Checkout was nothing more then a way to gather orders but you still need your own merchant bank and gateway. I did some research after that, and the guy has no idea what he's talking about. Google Checkout processes credit cards directly. They really should consider training their sales staff on what they're selling.
United States United States
Seller1
Kudos: 385
14 Feb 2007
I'll defend Marketworks! Having been through many other solutions and helping other companies set up their system, I'll tell you Marketworks isn't perfect, but it's certainly one of the best solutions out there. I don't recommend using Marketworks to organize and keep track of your inventory. If you are selling on multiple channels then why aren't you using Quickbooks or some sort of other solution that syncs up to Marketworks? You should be using accounting software that organizes your inventory and your finances. Marketworks also has some of the most powerful and consistent automated launch capabilities. Blackthorne and Selling Manager does not. I've seen so many companies who use those programs and forget that they are inconsistent. It's also a lot harder to track the auctions that sell, and almost just as important, what doesn't sell...those auctions cost you as well. You have to have a system that enables you to macro manage your business and I don't think that many programs out there, especially the two you just named, can do that. I could go on and on about the 50 other features that Marketworks has that are so much more advanced and automated than what other programs have. Is it any wonder why the top sellers on eBay use Marketworks? If you're doing pretty good numbers, then get that $499 waived.
Canada Canada
WayneMachine
Kudos: 35
15 Feb 2007
actually, if you ask me Marketworks is used by many sellers simply because its been around so long and people who were using it got used to its way of doing things, not because its better then the others.
Seller1
15 Feb 2007
Some people might feel that way...there are definitely flaws with every auction management software. You have to adjust to that. There are certain features I wish Marketworks had. But, based on my experiences with many types of software, I think that Marketworks is the most powerful , automated, and has the least problems.
illek
Kudos: 106
19 Feb 2007
The White Elephant in the room is the 2% Final Value Fee on all sales

CA, MW, eSeller Pro, et all are doing nothing for you that you can't do yourself. What they are really selling you is time...your time. Each of us have to decide what that is worth. - Mike
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Poppygirl
Kudos: 211
20 Feb 2007
I agree there Mike! If you have the time and want to save the money don't use an automated system unless you hit that barrier and you can't increase volume and your close rate is 80%! Alot of people opt for an automation system before they need it and waste money and time finding out which one is better and setting up the system when they should be selling. In the UK we have a great company called Frooition who resells the ChannelAdvisor system, and on top you get 30 days 'implementation' 3-4 one our calls to train you to use the system which is superb but the 'average training' for all these automation systems seems to be very 'web based' and if you are stuck you really are stuck with no one to just ask.

To use an automation system you need to be tech savvy as you will always fall down unless you have constant support on hand to help, and decent support at that. When I was a Marketworks user I would have stayed if the support guys knew what they were on about and didn't keep saying it was user error when clearly it was not.

Phew....tuesday afternoon rant!
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,623
20 Feb 2007
Hi Poppygirl,

Are you employed by Frooition?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Seller1
21 Feb 2007
I'm not tech savy, but I seem to get by pretty well.

Without automated systems, how can I find the time to manage the business? I would spend too much time processesing orders and less time monitoring the progress.
mwseller
Kudos: 15
4 Mar 2007
I have been with Marketworks for 3 years now. The system works really well and economically for launching bulk ebay ads. Marketworks has come a long way with their tools for managing high volumes of inventory. Their system is imperfect, however. Their new reporting system leaves much to be desired. For example, you cannot create a quarterly report, you must create a report one month at a time. Occaisionally, they have a major failure. In Mid January 07 someone forgot to renew their old Auctionworks domain name. Many of my images used the old Auctionworks name in the link and it was quite a mess for several hours. Marketworks pointed out their terms and conditons and basically told me to stick it, when I asked for the obvious credit that was due. Their Storefront has extreme technical difficulties as well. Although my inventory items are set up properly, many of them will not display in the store front. Their support team keeps telling me that they are working on it, that it is a general bug, and etc. I would have to give their support a D Minus.
fashionvault.com
Kudos: 150
Re: Really surprised @ Marketworks & not in a good way
25 Jul 2007
Ok this is really tricky ground here.

I can totally see why people are frustrated with little mistakes in the things salespeople and support people say.

I agree Marketworks needs to train their people better in their products. I asked loads of questions that should have been easy for them, but they had to go view tutorial videos and call me back. They are obviously more focused on selling the product and training for the product than educating themselves on their own product, which has many imperfections.

HOWEVER, as an expert in this area, their product is CAPABLE of more than any other product I have seen. As a consequence it is VERY complicated, but that is NOT a bad thing. Since we are dealing with web technology and with ebay, which is very complicated, in order to have lots of features the product itself must be complicated.

I can see the value of Marketworks ONLY because I have used other software solutions for eBay and discovered what I need and how the WORKFLOW functions.

That means you gradually, over months, discover your own workflow for listing, relisting, shipping out, leaving feedback, etc.

I got to the point where I needed more than my current solution was providing.

Apparently Laris has great customer service and I have experienced that myself but their product simply didn't have some of the features I needed. I am still learning more about this product so the jury is still out.

It seems at this point Marketworks can do just about anything you want it to do. There are billions of options I am convinced there is no one who uses them all. However LARIS is very minimal and you add on things as you need them.

I know exactly what I want and each feature developed by Marketworks was done for a reason and just because I don't understand it at first doesn't mean it isn't useful. But again I caution you that in order to handle the initial setup of marketworks it would help to use some other smaller softwareto gain some experience with your own workflow.

It will not be easy to get up and running and to even know your own needs in order to set it up correctly if you don't have experience already selling on ebay using automation software.

That being said, eSellerPro looked pretty awesome as well, and I preferred their user interface because it was all contained within your viewable window instead of making you scroll down through endless options like marketworks, many of which you will never use.

However, their automated scheduling completely sucks, however they just emailed me saying they would be implementing their new system next week. So I am waiting to see what it can do before I make my decision, because I do like eSellerPro the best at first glance. However they don't have a free trial so I don't know how they expect an expert user to make an informed decision when they can't even spend a little time with the software, other than watching a salesperson hurriedly gloss over the features via gotomeeting.

Problem with LARIS though is their pricing is way too high. They charge per listing after a certain number of listings! Screw that. There's nothing worse than having to count your cell phone usage for fear of overage charges, and it's the same for ebay and amazon listings.

eSellerPro is the cheapest and I am sincerely hoping to explore it more in the hopes that it could be the one, but I am 90% sure I will go with marketworks because it is FAR superior than all others in terms of what it can do and how it can be customized. For example, if you sell products with options like sizing and colors, many systems can't handle this when it comes to ebay and your storefront, but Marketworks just came out with a real nice way of doin it.

It defeinitely deserves more stars than it gets here, and I only hope that bad aspects of marketworks, the customer service and system glitches and errors, do not become a problem for me. I haven't used it for real yet so I don't kno
Supplier
India India
Bill Morgan
Kudos: 40
Re: Really surprised @ Marketworks & not in a good way
25 Jul 2007
Why don't you guys check with Andale(www.andale.co.uk) incase you are UK based.

Their inventory and order management system is reliable.Have both online and offline tool which is really a boon for high volume sellers where you can manage both pre and post sales process. How amazing is that!!!

The customer support is excellent and there is no set up fee for new customers.

No final value fees.

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister