Cheapest US Shipping for Non Traditional Items

Poster
Natural Armor
Kudos: 36
Cheapest US Shipping for Non Traditional Items
30 Jul 2016
Hello,

New to the site and this is first post. Not to exclude anyone outside of the US but... Does anyone have any experiences sending items with box dimensions roughly 12X4X4 with weight approx. 3.2 lbs? If so, which company provides the best shipping rates for an items with this dimension and weight? I know I'm being very specific about the size and weight but hell, thought i would give it a try. It's that important. I just feel like there is a better option out there than FedEx SmartPost. Thanks.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
Re: Cheapest US Shipping for Non Traditional Items
1 Aug 2016
@Natural Armor

Well, you only have 3 choices really so it seems like this is a simple matter for you to quote and takes maybe 10 minutes of your time. Maybe a little longer if you figure some destination options. You have already explored FedEx so that leaves UPS and USPS. In my experience, UPS is very similar to FEdEx in terms of rates. USPS rates can be quite good so explore both regular priority (the weight of your package excludes first class) and flat rate boxes. Generally USPS is also faster than FedEx or UPS ground but you don't get the same level of customer service.
United States United States
Nikok2
Kudos: 20
2 Aug 2016
There are more than 3 options. I have done a lot of work with this exact same weight class and dimensions and found significant savings when going to a daily pickup mail consolidator which eventually delivers via USPS. Happy to make recommendation to a few if you want that
Jupiter, FL United States
Natural Armor
Kudos: 36
2 Aug 2016
@Nikok2

Thanks for the response and feedback. Daily pickup mail consolidator? Can you please elaborate? Sorry for sounding ignorant but really new to all of this.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
2 Aug 2016

Natural Armor wrote:

@Nikok2

Thanks for the response and feedback. Daily pickup mail consolidator? Can you please elaborate? Sorry for sounding ignorant but really new to all of this.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here...

Shipping consolidators combine packages from many different senders into one load that is shipped as a unit to the destinations’ local Post Office. From there, the packages enter the local (USPS) mail stream and are delivered to their final destination. It can work out cheaper than using USPS directly.

We have a list of consolidators here:

www.webretailer.com/categories...ment.asp?category=191#profiles
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
2 Aug 2016
@Nikok2

This is true. I do have access to a mail consolidator and I use them for foreign shipping. I do get discounts through them for for Priority Mail - they are contractors for USPS so I consider them the same thing. They save me a ton on overseas. THe priority discounts are nice but amounts to pennies but I suppose they add up.
Supplier
United States United States
Shippo
Kudos: 21
2 Aug 2016
To really understand the best price and suggest the right carrier / mail class there are three things missing from the discussion.

• Volume - Some carriers (and consolidators) are more aggressive than others when it comes to high volume customers. Depending on your volume your negotiating success will vary by carrier

• Speed of delivery - Is this something that's important to you? If you're ok with 10 - 12 days of transit, there are some really cheap options available such as DHL eCommerce (it's a consolidator -- USPS does last mile)

• Where you're shipping too/from. The country is broken up into zones and depending on where you are and the majority of packages are going, you're going to see a difference in the pricing by carriers. You should check which zones majority of your shipments are going here. postcalc.usps.com/Zonecharts/ More about optimizing shipping via zones on our blog: goshippo.com/blog/2016-shipping-forecast-need-optimization/
  • United States United States
    Nikok2
    Kudos: 20
    25 Aug 2016
    I would second what Shippo said - DHL Ecommerce is a great option with probably the best global tracking on low cost methods that I have seen.

If you have a ton of volume to one region, you eventually will want to contract a broker independently in the country and freight forward in bulk your orders to them - thus cutting out the USA mail consolidator all together.

For instance, to South Korea you can ship a 4.4lb parcel for roughly $8 USD, unheard of with USPS or DHL even.

DM me if you are heavy to a region already (IE 1000+ parcels per week) and I can see if I have a contact in network that works in that country.

ChannelAdvisor
    XSellco
    Volo
    Selro