Cost of importing into the USA

Poster
quentin.baxter
Kudos: 47
Cost of importing into the USA
1 Aug 2016
I am intending to sell on Amazon and am looking for a bit of help and guidance. Can anyone please give me some pointers on the costs of importing goods into the USA. I'm trying to do a financial budget.
Tariffs
Import duties
Customs duties
Customs entry fee
Customs broker fees
Custom inspection costs
GST
and any import costs/rules that we would have to comply with.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Quentin
United Kingdom United Kingdom
agrant
Kudos: 23
Re: Cost of importing into the USA
2 Aug 2016
@quentin.baxter

Hi it's not clear if you are planning to ship your stock in bulk to put in Amazon FBA, or to send items individually for each order.

If you're doing bulk, then I suggest you contact www.woodland-group.com and they will explain everything including prices paperwork etc. They were very helpful to me. Call them or drop them a line at quotesdesk4@woodlandglobal.com

If you are sending items individually then if they are worth less than $200 each then there are no fees to pay.

I regularly send individual orders worth between £20 and £80 through Royal Mail Tracked and Signed. As long as you attach a CN22 form correctly filled ou then you won't have any problems.

See more info here:

personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7203/~/customs%3A-sending-mail-outside-the-european-union-(eu)

Let me know If you need any other info
United Kingdom United Kingdom
agrant
Kudos: 23
2 Aug 2016
@agrant
Hi

Sorry - just realized you are already in the US - so ignore the stuff about RoyalMail. But I'd still recommend Woodland Global - or find a similar outfit in the USA

Andrew
France France
sam359
Kudos: 26
2 Aug 2016
Hello,

From my understanding the cost of importing into the USA would highly be impacted by four factors :

1/ The type of goods you are importing
2/ The country of origin you are importing from
3/ The carrier you are using to import (Sea freight or Air Freight)
4/ The overall value of your freight

Sam
krooga.com
Buderim Australia
quentin.baxter
Kudos: 47
2 Aug 2016
@sam359
The products are kitchen ware and homeware
Product value is approximately $2500 per shipment
Country of origin is China
half by airfreight and half by air freight
France France
sam359
Kudos: 26
2 Aug 2016
@quentin.baxter

Your main costs would be duties that can range from aprox 0% to a 30% depending on the type of goods.

What you need to do is try to find a HS custom code for the products you are importing and then use a site like this to work out the rates :

www.dutycalculator.com

For shipments under 2500$ I would recommend using an express carrier that will do all the clearance for you at a low cost.

Good luck,

Sam

Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco