eBay Bans Video in Auctions

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
29 Apr 2007
What is your opinion on this development?

Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Nr Niagara Falls:USA United States
ioan
Kudos: 15
Re: eBay Bans Video in Auctions
1 May 2007
WHY are people so surprised at ANYTHING that EBay brings UPS as a "Regulation"?!! I DO enjoy?? buying via EBay but it HAS to be one of the most Dysfunctional and "bloody-minded" Organisations I have ever encountered!!..and lets fact it? Coming from Great Britain where the Civil Servants AND their "ways of doing things I DO know what I am talking about!!

John H
T.J.Hulligan.
{ Well Educated But Broke!!}
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
2 May 2007
Hi John,

The thing that struck me about eBay's announcement was that it was such a clumsy effort at spinning a video ban to sound like eBay had just invented the idea of having video in auctions.

There was a lot of excitement two to three years back about video in auctions, and I suspect some sellers have been using video for much longer than that.

eBay would get more respect from its customers if it put its message across clearly, and set out its real reasons for making changes and new "regulations".

Having said that, it's inability to police its own rules means that an honest seller can unwittingly break half-a-dozen of them in a single listing and risk being penalized, while a dishonest seller can break them on purpose and stand a good chance of getting away with it.
United States United States
Seller1
Kudos: 385
10 May 2007
I'm cool with this because those 5 approved sites are what 90% of the world uses anyways. Plus, some of those other sites out there are really poorly run, thus leading to problems that eBay I'm sure doesn't want to deal with.
Andy
13 May 2007
I don't think there is anthing wrong with eBay saying they will only allow links to certain approved video sites, but the real point is that they have banned embedded video.

Using video to sell a product only really works if you can have the video on your product listing. Just having a link and hoping people will look at it is almost useless. I wouldn't follow a video link in an eBay auction unless I had already been 90% sold on a product and just wanted a safety check.

Using video to sell on eBay has been officially killed off.
Andy
13 May 2007
eBay have realised their mistake, and done a U-turn:

Jim Ambach (eBay Vice President of Seller Experience) wrote:

Hi everyone ­ this is Jim Ambach again with our Seller Experience team. A few weeks ago I announced that sellers could now link to videos to describe their items (read my note here [www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200704161811502.html]). Video's ability to tell a story, as well as its ease-of-use, has made it extremely popular, and the time was right to bring video to eBay.

When I made my announcement, our policy allowed sellers to link to a video, but not to embed the video directly within their listing. Just like the online video world, our policy is rapidly evolving ­ we’re updating it to now allow sellers to embed videos within their listings. The videos still need to be hosted on one of our approved sites, but it's up to you whether you want to embed them or simply link to them. We'll also be evaluating other video hosting sites as time goes on, and will update our approved list periodically.

As I mentioned before [www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200704161811502.html], we've been working with several film-makers who also happen to be eBay sellers. They've used video in their listings to tell buyers about their items in a fun, interesting way. Here are a few more examples (with the videos embedded this time) that will hopefully give you some creative ideas.

I think eBay did allow embedding of video until his previous announcement (they have a specific exception for Flash), but that's a moot point now.

I still feel sorry for the other, eBay-specific, video providers. They no longer have businesses.

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor