eBay is a pain for sellers

Poster
marianmsa
Kudos: 51
eBay is a pain for sellers
28 Sep 2016
Hello,
It seems that eBay executives have WAY
too much time on their hands, imposing constant changes to sellers that require tech tutorials that are far too time consuming.
I am a low volumn seller with a sterling seller reputation and still I have only a 'above average' rating which bums me out.
eBay used to be an easy source for me to contribute to our household budget but now I cringe even before I log on.
There will be many more uploading changes in 2017 imposed that are daunting to say the least. Thanks, Marian
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,226
Re: eBay is a pain for sellers
29 Sep 2016
@marianmsa

I agree that eBay can be a pain. They appear to make changes without fully thinking through the consequences. Take for example the penalising of sellers for late / slow dispatch and delivery. This is something that I do agree with, but has made many sellers change from same day to next or even two working day despatch with a slower quoted delivery to avoid getting penalised. You can buy the same item from us on both Amazon and eBay but the Amazon quoted delivery time is up to 3 days quicker than on eBay. Which platform would you buy from ?

eBay lost the plot several years ago when they thought that nobody could touch them, and are now trying to play catch up. They are still a popular marketplace, but others are certainly very slowly starting to take a slice of the eBay cake.

Depending on what you are selling, there are many other selling platforms out there that are often better and cheaper to sell on. Try taking a look at the other options available and see if they can work for you.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United States United States
marianmsa
29 Sep 2016
@Bigian13
Thanks for your response. I know what you are saying about the ship time and Amazon . I have to agree.
Greediness and fee increases have ruined the original concept that made ebay a giant.
What I sell is original paintings trading cards. Maybe I'll explore other options
as you suggested.

[Last edited: 29 Sep 2016]
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,226
29 Sep 2016
@marianmsa

If you have not already, why not try Etsy ?

I have to admit that I have not tried it, but the UK site in particular is proving popular with sellers in the same / similar line as you. Might be worth a punt.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
marianmsa
29 Sep 2016
@Bigian13
I think the reply I meant for you i sent to
the next person . Oops but thank you
Marian
Kolkata, India India
OBVA Virtual assistants
Kudos: 107
30 Sep 2016
Yes it can be a pain, as they favor customers but not sellers with their new policy changes. To manage selling, try focusing on managing good feedback rating. At first, it could be tough. When you keep learning, you can surely achieve more profits.
marianmsa
30 Sep 2016
@OBVA Virtual assistants
It is obvious that you have not read my original post. If you had, you would not have given that generic advice.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,358
1 Oct 2016
I actually prefer eBay to Amazon on many things. They do change things up, that's a fact. However, it is less expensive to sell on eBay than Amazon (the fees are less). They do not require price equity. In the US, Amazon requires that whatever price you sell on their platform be the same as you sell anywhere else, even though their fees are extremely high!

EBay also gives you a lot of creative control over the look of your listing. You own the listing, not Amazon. You have control over the pictures (within their guidelines), you write the description. No one else can change these things. I've been burned a lot by Amazon when another seller has submitted a change to a listing that I didn't see and find that the color in the picture is different that what the UPC is for. Plus, on Amazon, there is no real dispute process. If the customer complains, bang, you lose. On eBay, you have some chance to work it out, especially if you have proof of delivery. I don't find eBay's procedures to be technically challenging at all. However, I do tend to use 3rd party tools due to the volume of listings I have to manage.
marianmsa
1 Oct 2016
@Jax Music Supply
You are obviously tech savvy and enjoy a high volume of sales, whereas I am not and don't and am a bit crankyThanks for your response.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,358
1 Oct 2016
@marianmsa

I am definitely tech savvy by original vocation and education (MS-CIS) but that really doesn't play a role, in my opinion, in how easy to use eBay's platform is for sellers. Generally speaking, it is much easier than Amazon, Etsy, Bonanza, or New Egg. Certainly much easier than listing a new product on any website that I have run for my own business. If you are using eBay's listing process, it is very step by step. Now, if you ship using eBay, I think it is a bit less clear, but still relatively easy. I use 3rd party tools to ship and I believe some 3rd party tools offer free services if you are only shipping on eBay (I think ShipWorks does this) which may be easier.

Most of the pain points I hear from other eBay sellers regard policies from eBay - refund decisions, listing removals, etc. I rarely hear any complaints about their other processes that involves their technology. If you are intimidated by some of the technology, in addition to posting here, I recommend you join the group "eBay stores nothing but eBay stores" on Facebook. The group there is really good about helping each other out and answering question.

Regarding being above average ranking, that is about as high as you are going to get without more volume. I have 2 eBay accounts. One for my business, which does significant volume, and one for my personal stuff which I sell household items, special deals and other things that I obtain that are totally unrelated to my business. The personal account is "above standard" also where my business account is top rated plus. They both get the same service, same tools, etc. I have 100% feedback on my personal account. Only difference is volume. Don't sweat it. There really isn't much advantage to Top Rated. I get a fee discount but it really only accumulates if you have enough volume to justify it.

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware