Notebook selling

Poster
Johnnyg
Kudos: 20
Notebook selling
5 Oct 2016
Hello, I am a beginner to selling products, and we started with notebooks. We want to sell returned notebooks but all of them came to us their hard drives removed compeletely. What do we have to when we want to sell them online now? Should we try to install the original pre installed OSs? If so how do we do it?
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,245
Re: Notebook selling
5 Oct 2016
@Johnnyg

Unless you intend selling to the trade, a notebook without a drive is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

If the drives have been removed it would indicate that either the drives were faulty, they have been part exchanged, or are part of a company lease hire agreement. If it is the first, then there may be other problems as well. If it is either of the latter two, the chances are that they are old spec models.

Depending on the type / model, most people want a notebook as a smaller, lighter easier to use version of their laptop / desktop. I can not see the average buyer wanting to mess about sourcing a drive, fitting it, and then having to install an OS, especially as most people would not know where to start.

Your best bet would be try to offload them on sites such as eBay, but make sure that they are clearly described as incomplete / spares or repair, otherwise you will end up with even more problems from buyers who do not realise what they are getting.

The rules may be different in the US, but in the UK if you buy a product to sell on you are technically classed as a business no matter how small the turnover. You then have to abide by the rules for business sellers which may include warranties, returns etc

You may also be surprised how little this type of item is worth on the open market.

Unless you are tech savvy I would have thought a different line of product would be better to start with.

[Last edited: 5 Oct 2016]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United States United States
Johnnyg
5 Oct 2016
@Bigian13

Thank you for your fast reply. I think my question was misunderstood, we have a bulk of notebooks in our stocks and they all came their disks removed so there is even no recovery partition but they all have their HDD's psychically . So we need to somehow install the OS maybe? And which way should we use doing that?

Also I appreciate your advice, may I ask where should we have started instead of notebooks?

Thanks in advance.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,245
7 Oct 2016
@Johnnyg

So what you are saying is that the notebooks are complete, but do not have the Windows recovery disk and no OS installed.

You could try contacting Microsoft and try to get an OEM license to install a Windows operating system but I believe a few years ago they started cutting back on number and type of businesses that could do this. May be worth a shot though.

The other option is to install an alternative OS such as Linux (which is free) but this will then cut down your proposed customer base due to software compatibility / availability issues.

The problem with nearly all items such as this is that they are virtually out of date / obsolete before the production run has even finished. This has slowed down recently though. Years ago a company (I think it was DELL) who manufacture PCs and laptops only used to hold enough stock for something like one hours production due to the volatility in prices and specification for component parts. At one stage I used to buy and sell second hand large CRT monitors. The mark up was good, around 500% but with the availability and lower prices of LED / LCD screens sales started to dwindle and prices were dropping, I got out just in time.

When starting out selling online, I find that it is always useful if you try and sell a product that you are interested in, It makes it easier for you to sell the product to a customer if you are enthusiastic about it. Always though research the market first. Make sure that you can buy and sell the product at the right price enabling you to make a profit after you have taken into account taxes, sellers fees, returns, and the cost of running your business as a whole.

You may make more bad decisions than good to start with, but the more research you do, the better the outcome should be.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United States United States
steveylang
Kudos: 28
11 Oct 2016
Do the notebooks have any Microsoft COA (Certificate of Authenticity) stickers on the bottom? If so, they should have a license # that would allow you to legally re-install Windows on the computers without having to buy licenses for them. You would then need install disks for the right Windows version they have licenses for.

If you don't, you can still sell the computers as they are, but they will sell at a relative discount because there is no operating system. There will always be buyers, the question is at what price.

You should check Amazon and EBay for current prices of the computer models you have. Computers depreciate rapidly in price. It's great for buyers on a budget who need a computer but don't have much money, you can get a older but very functional computer on EBay for 10 or 20 cents on the dollar compared to new if you shop around.

Depending on the brand and model, there may also be different variations/configurations that you will want to verify- the CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive size, screen resolution, battery health, etc. The more of these things you confirm and are able to include in a listing, the better your sales and revenue will be. But it will take a little bit of time and effort, so check the current pricing for your computers to confirm it will be worth the effort.

If you got a lot of notebooks for dirt cheap, or acquired them as part of another business, then selling it all can still be pretty profitable if they're not too old.

[Last edited: 11 Oct 2016]
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ryan-P
12 Oct 2016
I started selling by doing exactly what you are. I'll be honest - if you get a good postage rate for large letter packets, strip them and sell them for parts.
I am not sure if recovery disks even exist anymore as we were doing this during the Windows 7 - 8 transition, but to break it down, you will need:

HDD Caddies -5-15GBP Each
HDD's - 500GB 25GBP
Recovery Disk (from the manufacturer) - 50GBP

There's 90GBP gone before you have even thought about shipping and fees.
If theyre all the same model it may be worth it, as you'll only need to buy the recovery disk once. If they are different then I would either break them or sell as-is.

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor