Auctionteller Closes Its Doors

Poster
blackstar
Kudos: 334
Auctionteller Closes Its Doors
5 Jun 2007
Received this email today:
June 5, 2007
Auction Teller is closing down. We are refunding all the fees (prorated with subscription time left as of today). Current users can still use AuctionTeller for the next one month for free and migrate to another solution. On July 5, 2007, all data from AuctionTeller servers will be deleted.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
The AuctionTeller Team
Supplier
United States United States
bhogue
Kudos: 220
Re: Auctionteller Closes Its Doors
5 Jun 2007
So people using AuctionTeller who want to migrate to another system can't obtain their customer databases? They will have to start from scratch or enter names, phone numbers, and addresses manually? How nice. That's pretty much in line with their reputation for customer service.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
6 Jun 2007
I have heard that AuctionTeller are closing down too.

I have tried to contact them about it but have not had a response yet.

Is there no way to export your data from AuctionTeller (e.g. CSV) so it can be imported into another system?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
bhogue
6 Jun 2007
Andy, don't expect a response. Their numbers are disconnected. Their office in San Fran is unreachable. I have already been contacted by a few of their clients who want to switch over. We are working together to try and get the databases from AT. I will let you know how things work out.
Andy
7 Jun 2007
I have been told by a former AuctionTeller user that you can export your customer data to a .csv file, but not auction listings.
Supplier
bhogue
8 Jun 2007
You can. We import customer databases in .csv format every day. The problem comes from the fact that AuctionTeller is web based and they decided to wipe their servers. The only way to get the database is to get it from the company. Since the company has deleted everything, those databases no longer exist. By the way, AuctionTeller is not responding to emails (big surprise) and even their parent company's phone number has been disconnected.
Andy
8 Jun 2007
So you are saying they have already deleted the data after they said they would leave it until 5 July?

I thought the service would be running for a month yet?

[Last edited: 8 Jun 2007]
Supplier
bhogue
8 Jun 2007
Sorry about that. I misread it as June 5th. Guess I should learn how to read. The users that have come over to AuctionSound haven't been able to get a database sent over. I've never used AuctionTeller so I'm not sure if they can display their customers in a format that can be copied and pasted into excel. When I've brought this up they've told me not to worry about it. So it must not be too big of a deal to them. I'm just apalled by AT's lack of customer service.
Andy
8 Jun 2007
Just to clarify my post above, AuctionTeller can export customer data to a .csv file.

So yes, you can get that straight into Excel.

Auction listings cannot be exported.
Supplier
bhogue
8 Jun 2007
Yes, I know. AuctionTeller can export the customer data IF you can get ahold of them on the phone or through email to ask them for it. Getting in touch is the problem. Believe me, I am very aware that auction listings can't be imported. I answer that question quite often.
Florida United States
blackstar
Kudos: 334
8 Jun 2007
Actually, you can export the data to a CSV file through the reporting section without contacting them.

For those who use the service and have not come across the feature...its pretty straight forward...

login - Reports - and then choose:
Download Closed Auction
Auction Archive Download
Consignment Archive Download

You can also display some reports as well.

Otherwise, if anything is missing, you can also go to your Auction tab, choose the category of data you want to collect, select a date range, select view 100, and copy and paste the results....go through each page to finish the process...it transfers pretty well when copied to notepad then comma-delimitated to excel.

They had something promising here. They never really developed though, and its sad to see it go to waste. As a consignment solution, I personally found it more thorough than some other web-based software out here.

But it was like if they treated it like a poor second child.
Such a shame.
Cheers
Andy
10 Jun 2007
I have just heard from a company that is interested in buying AuctionTeller's assets and continuing the service. I don't want to say who it is at this stage.

I hope that the service does continue, and receives some investment in development. There is not much competition in consignment management so its a shame to lose one of the few providers.

[Last edited: 12 Jul 2012]
onelifedigital
Kudos: 15
16 Aug 2007
Who is the contact for people interested in looking at the assets and entertaining a purchase of them?
Andy
16 Aug 2007
Hi onelifedigital,

The parent company is Virtual Council Inc, you could try contacting them.

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister