Auction software

Poster
United States United States
esm
Kudos: 75
Auction software
9 Aug 2007
Hi,

I'm new to this forum (maybe it's the wrong one) and I would like to ask if someone could recommend a decent, not so expensive, standalone auction software for a small auction website?

Thanks.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
Re: Auction software
9 Aug 2007
Hi esm,

If you are looking for software to run your own auction web site, take a look here: www.webretailer.com/forum-topic.asp?tid=560
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
esm
esm
9 Aug 2007
Andy,

Thanks a lot! The rainworx software is a bit pricey but I may be able to find something a wee bit less expensive on the DMOZ site.

Ed
esm
esm
15 Aug 2007
Andy,

I found this website: www.my-hammer.de and it's the exact functionality that I would need (on a much smaller scale).

Could anyone venture a guess what kind of reverse auction software they use?

Thanks,

Ed
Switzerland Switzerland
Auctioneer
Kudos: 35
15 Aug 2007
Hello to all,

under:

www.everyauction.info/cgi-bin/s/auction.pl

you find Ernie's brandnew modified EveryAuction 1.53 -Type Software in beta-testing, planned to be released as "Donation-Type" GPL Product within a few weeks.

It is a Script Setup based on the legendary EveryAuction 1.53 PERL-Script by Matt Hahnfeld from EverySoft.com.

You can find some more information here:

www.everyauction.info/everyauction_153.html

If you need an easy Auction Script Solution and if you are able to adapt the "Page Presentation" HTML Parts according to your own needs, the new EveryAuction 1.53 should be able fulfill all requirements.

The Script as well as the Add-On's Sections have fully been rewritten and uses modern CSS technology as well as some Java Scripting.

An Auction could basically be upgraded by using some of the hundreds of free Add-On's available:

www.everyauction.info/codepost/index.html

to look somehow similar like this one:
(Demo Auction Site)

www.everyauction.info/cgi-bin/auction/auction.pl

Thank you

Ernie

[Last edited: 15 Aug 2007]
esm
esm
16 Aug 2007
Hey Auctioneer,

An impressive piece of software!

However, it doesn't appear to offer reverse auction capabilities and the appearance can't be customized except for the header and footer.

Stiil looking what powers my-hammer.de
Supplier
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 253
17 Aug 2007
The website design for www.everyauction.info/cgi-bin/auction/auction.pl is one of the sleekest and I honestly envy it ..

May be I should use your help in getting ChannelMAX same smoothness !!

Thanks
Paul
www.ChannelMAX.Net
Switzerland Switzerland
Auctioneer
17 Aug 2007

esm wrote:

.... it doesn't appear to offer reverse auction capabilities and the appearance can't be customized except for the header and footer...
Hello,

Page Appearance can be modified without problem if you know how to handle CSS in order to redo Table Sections. But since I do not use "Templates" all over the place, the HTML Sections are Part of the Scripts, usually marked between:
---
print qq|
HTML Part
|;
---
It's easier to work this way, compared with external located HTML Templates, and you can use regular HTML Stuff programmed by Frontpage, Dreamweaver, e.t.c. without any problems.
-----------------------
Reversed Auctions are bacically no problem, because it takes just a few modifications within some Parts of the Scripts to make this work.

Examples:
----
$lowest_new_bid = &parsebid($bid-$inc);
compared to:
$owest_new_bid = &parsebid($bid+$inc);
---
if ((time = $form{'ITEM'}) or (time = (60 * $config{'aftermin'} + $time))) {
&oops('Your bid is too high. Sorry.') if ($form{'BID'} ($bid-$inc) and ($#bids)) or ($form{'BID'} $bid);
compared to:
if ((time = $form{'ITEM'}) or (time = (60 * $config{'aftermin'} + $time))) {
&oops('Your bid is too low. Sorry.') if ($form{'BID'} ($bid+$inc) and ($#bids)) or ($form{'BID'} $bid);
-----------------------

ChannelMAX wrote:

.... May be I should use your help in getting ChannelMAX same smoothness !!...
Page presentation is always a thing of personal taste. Some like it, some don't. Especially on a demo site, it is very hard please everyones Eyes....

The Plattform you mentioned gave me work for more than a Year, because I wanted it to look good.

Creating the HTML Part was not the big thing. More work had to be done by implementing rather complex Add-On's, written in sometime "very rudimentary" Form only and partly full of errors.

To implement such Stuff takes a lot of time and testing, because the fellows who wrote them are not longer available to assist, when it comes to programming-matters and -problems.

So, besides of doing my work, I had to learn understanding PERL Fuctions much better than I ever did before in order to get that thing "on the road".

So much to that.
Please excuse my smetimes a little funny english, I am Swiss and I have never taken school lessons. It's all picked up....

You all have a good day

Ernie
esm
esm
17 Aug 2007
Ernie,

Your English is excellent, I should know, I'm German. :-)

It seems the customizing thing isn't a big deal, I have no problems with HTML and CSS. However, I know nothing about scripts, PERL or otherwise. Converting your script into reverse auction would be impossible for me.

Since you know so much about this stuff, would you venture a guess as to which auction software my-hammer could be based on?

Thanks,

Ed
Switzerland Switzerland
Auctioneer
17 Aug 2007
@ Ed

hi

I imagine that this is a more or less standard PHP Auction Derivate, at least according this url:

www.my-hammer.de/showAuction.php?auctionID=614343

Since this Company is established in the market for quite some years, I am sure they do have the programmers to create something like myhammer.de out of standard PHP Auction Scriptsources.

So, this is nothing you can just buy anywhere else in a similar form, I think...

I don't know your plans, but as I wrote above, creating a reverse PERL Auction out of a regular Setup is very easy. I've put a sample (simple, old and very basic-EA 1.51) Online Job And Service Reverse Auction Script here

www.everyauction.info/cgi-bin/j/auction.pl

to give you an idea how this would work.

I've never done it myself yet, but I may have a spare moment on sunday, then I will make a short test with my demo auction to check what it takes, under the aspect that I have lot of addons installed, and I may have to "reverse" in a few other places besides of the couple of line changes in the Display/Bidding Section.

Have a nice weekend!

Ernie
esm
esm
17 Aug 2007
Hey Ernie,

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. As I had said before, I like your software and if it can be converted to reverse auction and I can customize it, I'd like to go with it.

Is there any way we could communicate one-to-one?

Cheers,

Ed
Switzerland Switzerland
Auctioneer
20 Aug 2007
@ Ed
you may contact me trough the everyauction.info contact Page.

Ernie
esm
esm
23 Aug 2007
Ernie,

I have contacted you via the everyauction.info contact page several days ago. Doesn't seem to work.

Ed
Switzerland Switzerland
Auctioneer
23 Aug 2007
hi

I replied yesterday to your Mail, and I replied just a few moments ago again.

If you don't get the Mail from ernst (at) jacob (ch), let me know.

Ernie
esm
esm
23 Aug 2007
I did get it today and I replied to it.

I did not get it yesterday.

Ed

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco