Discuss the article "Don't pay for eBay selling tools!"

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,623
Discuss the article "Don't pay for eBay selling tools!"
16 Aug 2007
Please reply to this topic with comments or questions about Sam Carson's article:

Don't pay for eBay selling tools! (Free eBay Seller Software)
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Re: Discuss the article "Don't pay for eBay selling tools!"
17 Aug 2007
UK readers may have noticed that there isn't a free research service for eBay.co.uk mentioned in the article, other than the Completed Items Search - that's because there isn't one!

The closest contender is eSeller Street, which gives the first ten reports away for free - and it works for eBay.co.uk.
Supplier
United States United States
bhogue
Kudos: 220
17 Aug 2007
Well, the first sentence says it all. So, you're selling a few things on eBay? This person is only selling seven items. Since this site is primarily devoted to businesses I think the argument can safely end there. The tools he described are fine for the occasional seller but c'mon, does it really apply to 90% of the users on this site?
Supplier
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 256
17 Aug 2007
Hi Andy,

I personally want to thank you for putting together a candid analysis on a topic that is very bold in it's nature. I also wanted to extend my thanks for special reference to ChannelMAX. We will definitely strive to make our product to have a better presentation. We have sellers with daily EBay listing volume of zero (or 1) a day to hundreds a day.

As we all know, there cannot be a business that gives away things for free, then it cannot be called a regular business, rather it will be called a charity. At the same time, we know that operational effeciency, target audience, correct product mix and controlled overhead can make big impact on the pricing of an item.

We, ChannelMAX, offer lots of features free across multiple selling avenues for free. But we definitely have a revenue stream from our premium services which make us a viable business. And we will continually work to add other premium services as well as free features.

Finally, at the end of the day, sellers will have to make money and 3rd party services like us will have to make money to survive. But most importantly, we all must be able to extract the maximum value from our each dollar ..

Thanks
Paul
www.ChannelMAX.Net

[Last edited: 17 Aug 2007]
Andy
18 Aug 2007
Brett, I take your point. Most of the participants on the site are selling on eBay and/or other marketplaces as businesses.

However, we cover a wide range of tools from free services for occasional sellers to enterprise systems for "proper" businesses.

There is very poor awareness among eBay users of third party software in general. Hopefully this article will reach a few of those people and introduce them to the topic via these free tools.

The people using free tools today are much more likely to progress to pay-for tools in the future than people who think Turbo Lister is the last word in eBay software.

Paul, thanks for your comments. The article was actually written by a new contributor called Sam Carson, so I can't take the credit for it.

"Free" as a business model can make perfect sense in some industries - this site is free for readers and is kept afloat by advertising. In publishing, it's a set-up that makes everyone happy. In other areas, going free (or semi-free) is a brave decision and can make or break a business.

[Last edited: 18 Aug 2007]
Supplier
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 256
18 Aug 2007
Hi Andy,

When I mentioned "Free" as a business model, I meant there is no revenue at all or revenue is below cost.

This site's forum is free, but advertisers pay. So overall, there is a positive cash flow, and that makes it a viable business model. Same thing for many other internet companies such as Google or Yahoo !!

Hope this clarifies my point.

Thanks
Paul
Supplier
nvoxland
Kudos: 35
20 Aug 2007

Andy wrote:

UK readers may have noticed that there isn't a free research service for eBay.co.uk mentioned in the article, other than the Completed Items Search - that's because there isn't one!
You could also check out www.get4it.co.uk. It is free and also has a mobile-phone optimized version available for when you're away from your computer.
Cyrus
Kudos: 211
12 Sep 2007
Greetings all. That was a very informative article. I'm new to the forums here on Auction Software Review and wondered if there was anything available that would both help research items, and then list comparables. Does such an animal exist?
Supplier
bhogue
Kudos: 220
12 Sep 2007
Hi Cyrus,

We at AuctionSound have integrated Terapeak Research into our software. This will allow you to research the item you are interested in selling and then build, launch, and manage the listing. If you would like a free demo please feel free to give us a call. 866.881.3229.
Andy
12 Sep 2007
Hi Cyrus, welcome to the site

What do you mean by "comparables"? What exactly do you want to do?
cploonker
Kudos: 20
1 Mar 2008
One more free tool for eBay sellers to show their feedbackon other sites
easystorehosting.com/esh/show-ebay-feedback.php
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
3 Mar 2008
Hi Andy,

We've seen first hand that many free tools users do eventually upgrade to paid services. I've also noticed that many users that do have free tools are also using a few different low cost tools for things like shipping and image hosting in addition. I don't think I've come across a business yet that solely uses free tools to manage all of their e-commerce operations.

I'd say that about 1/3rd of our customers are switch overs from solutions that total $50/mo or less. From experience, about half of those customers have become way too large for the software that is supporting their business. The migration costs, then, become rather large.

I've also noticed that many businesses that experience rapid growth with the low cost solutions have had to add additional human resources to augment what their management tools are not handling. This often adds to a much higher total cost of operation than even the most expensive software packages out there.
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware