Poster
eCBH
Kudos: 100
MarketBlast ver. 2.0 IS REALLY BAD!
22 Aug 2007
v2.0

First let me tell you a bit about myself:
I am VERY computer literate.
I have been selling on eBay since a bit before xmas 2006.
I loved eBay, but was horrified that i had to spend so much time with it.
My sales margins vary, but I sell at low volume(due to time limitations).
I found this site and made this post: www.webretailer.com/forum-topic.asp?tid=589
I was using Turbo Lister 2, but wanted more automation and was not impressed with Blackthourne features vs Turbo lister to try it.
I finally decided to try MB and was planning on settling on it.

WOW was I wrong!

#1 It is HARD,VERY HARD, to use! The wizards take too much time, use too many pages and too little options. Maybe *IF you are REALLY REALLY DUMB* this software WOULD be intuitive for you to use! I was freaked out of the program for the whole week and I have been a power user for 15 years!

#2 Errors! This program LOVES giving you errors!OMG!
(listed in no particular order)
*It did not like my FTP (but finally uploaded to it - but could not use the images it uploaded). So it did not post those auctions.
*It does not like to post scheduled auctions! It was so bad that I asked it to use ebay's PAID scheduling and then it just got PISSED! So it did not post the auctions.

*Shipping? What shipping? Options for shipping BARELY exist! It mandates (FORCES) me to chose from 5 shipping options (offered by USPS and UPS - NO ONE ELSE!). I tried to go around that by using the same shipping option 2ce with different rates and it gave me a finger yet again.Oh and this time eBay got pissed on MB for trying to upload an auction with BS shipping options(that do not exist on eBay)and MB again gave me an error! I thought it might need to UPDATE a program, maybe shipping options have changed or MB programmers had extra 3minutes to add additional shipping info – or just general flat rate. NOPE! It did not post auction again.

#3 Tech support sucks! They respond...sometimes, after few days and dont keep their "appointments".

#4 the cost went up 300% from 100 to $400 USD.

It got 2stars cause it ATEMPTED automation! It was also waaay too hard to make any decently complex automation. There are more options for automation then for anything else COMBINED.

Promissed ALOT!
Delivered VERY LITTLE....actually NONE!

MarketBlast = C-R-A-P

I am back with using TurboLister 2. I learned how easy it it to use on Linux /BSD with wine. MarkedBlast does not work with wine. Turbo lister is intuitive, but it does not have much automation, or much inventory management (but it has them both). TURBOLISTER is FREE and it WORKS! Yey!

[Last edited: 22 Aug 2007]
United States United States
eCBH
Re: MarketBlast ver. 2.0 IS REALLY BAD!
22 Aug 2007
I have been having a bad feeling that this site might be biast to some products. I hope this is not true. Its just that I have been noticing some behavior on this site and to companies that have linked to the site that gave me this suspission.

I have no afiliation to any companies at all. I am just an engineering student in USA trying to pay through college by selling items on eBay.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,631
28 Aug 2007
Hi eCBH, thank you for your contributions to the site.

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with MarketBlast and I hope that your comments help other visitors make good decisions about the software they need.

eCBH wrote:

I have been having a bad feeling that this site might be biast to some products. I hope this is not true. Its just that I have been noticing some behavior on this site and to companies that have linked to the site that gave me this suspission.

I have no afiliation to any companies at all. I am just an engineering student in USA trying to pay through college by selling items on eBay.
I am the site editor and can tell you the following categorically:

• I only suggest products in the forum that fit the requirements of the poster and have a good reputation. I avoid Outright recommendations unless I have used the product myself.
  • Companies that advertise on this site or link to us do not receive preferential reviews or forum posts.
  • We have a strict policy on members declaring any bias they have in reviews and forum posts, and both are actively moderated.

• On MarketBlast in particular:

• I suggested this to you as it fitted your requirement of a cross-platform desktop solution at a low cost[*]MarketBlast has varied reviews but overall its rating is good at 3.5 stars[*]It was acquired in June 2006 by Acclivity who have increased the price considerably. I don't know if the acquisition has also lead to a drop in product and support quality, but it is possible.[*]At the time I suggested MarketBlast to you I believe the price was $149 or $199, which I would classify as low-cost. At the current price of $399 there are a number of lower priced solutions so I would no longer put it in that category.

• [Last edited: 20 Sep 2007]
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    eCBH
    29 Aug 2007
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for your advice. I did not mean that you suggested me something on someone elses behalf.

Its just that I have seen some companies use your site's review markings as a banner add:

5 STARS BY AUCTION SOFTWARE REVIEW!

Thats with a picture from your site and everything.

When this happends it quickily turns into a money making endavor that makes me think that the site has lost its credibility.

Anyone from that company can write the reviews and then use your site to make their claim.

There are plenty of ways where things can turn shady for the people that just want some straight insight.
    Herts, England United Kingdom
    Andy
    Kudos: 11,631
    29 Aug 2007
    Hi again,

The web gives people a high degree of anonymity, and makes it easy to subvert genuine sites - that's why we have things like click-fraud, false Wikipedia edits, and MMORPG farming.

The best we can do is to take what we read with a pinch of salt, make our own contributions to even out the balance, and police the content.

I often find that potentially biased reviews are quickly spotted and followed with genuine user reviews, which is good. We try to show to a range of information about each product (news items and forum posts as well as reviews) so users can make informed decisions.

We do our best to maintain a fair and honest system.
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Seller1
    Kudos: 385
    31 Aug 2007
    I find this site isn't that biased at all. There are a few companies on here that like to throw in their opinions, but most are pretty cool about it.

Congrats on being a college student looking to put your way through school. It must be tough. How many unique items do you have listed? Do you have start up capital that can help you take this to the next level? Are you on the coast?

2nd Office
    ChannelAdvisor
    XSellco
    Volo