AuctionSplash....dodgy experience

Poster
Graham-uk
Kudos: 30
AuctionSplash....dodgy experience
10 Sep 2007
Hi:

Has anyone had any problems with AuctionSplash?

Firstly, in their User Agreement, they mention Fees and tell you to refer to the section on their website...

However, I couldn't find any mention of their Fees page on their website. I used their website form to enquire about Fees and whether they could send details to my email account, but it's been a few days and I haven't received any reply (even a "No" would be something).

I'm fine with a company providing a service and then charging you for use of it; but, to claim their service is FREE, which is the big crowd-puller and then to go about hiding Fees, I think is a bit sneaky and makes me wonder what else they're not telling about.

Secondly, after I'd installed the application, I noticed my computer had become increasingly slow (I run an Sony VAIO pentium 4, with XP and have fast Broadband connection, so it really shouldn't be a problem)

Thirdly, when I went to connect to eBay, via their application link, I got an error message saying that there was some sort of coding 'bug' and it would shut down AuctionSplash... which it did.

So far, from personal experience, my impression of AuctionSplash, is an unprofessional, sneaky and unreliable service.

It's disappointing because of the acclaim that's greeted them.

Supplier
United States United States
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 256
Re: AuctionSplash....dodgy experience
10 Sep 2007
I don't know AuctionSplash, but point 2 & 3 may be some external factors not related to AuctionFlash itself. So let's not come to a conclusion, rather you should contact them directly. I am sure they would like to know your issue !!

Thanks
Paul
www.ChannelMAX.Net
Raven
Kudos: 110
11 Sep 2007
Points 2 and 3 are familiar, had the same type of issued with the XP home version on a Compaq laptop. Also couldn't find drivers for my scanner and printer so I reformatted the HD and installed XP Pro SP2 and solved all the issues.

I don't mean to bash the home version of XP, and it is possible there was another issue or conflict causing the problems with AuctionSplash. I did the upgrade for hardware compatibility reasons and in the process solved the AuctionSplash issues by accident.

BTW, I didn't like AS even after I got it working and I still just write my own HTML templates and host images on my own server. Hey, it works for me.
Supplier
howard@auctionsplash.com United Kingdom
AuctionSplash Ltd
Kudos: 55
19 Oct 2007
Hi,
First of all I would like to introduce myself. I am Trevor Bond and I developed the AuctionSplash software. I developed it because my wife was buying our kids clothes on eBay and then selling them on again once they had worn them a couple of times. She was having trouble using the website and asked me if I could do something to speed things up. I wrote AuctionSplash and made it available to the public in May this year.

I have a very genuine desire to make it FREE to everyone since I want as many people to use it as possible and I would make an income from people using it to buy items on eBay (through affiliate revenue). I wanted to make buying side pay for the FREE selling side.

At the beginning of 2007 I gained a business partner. He for some reason wanted AuctionSplash to bring in some money. We came up with the plan of releasing a PRO version which is fee based. The PRO version has the same functionality as eBay's Selling Manager Pro (and a whole lot more). The plan is to release the PRO version on November 1st and all AuctionSplash users will be given a free trial.

I do not anticipate that everyone will go to the PRO version, indeed for many casual sellers the standard version is perfectly adequate.

I have just spoken to my business partner about the wording on the terms and conditions and he is going to update them.

AuctionSplash is FREE. We cannot charge you for the program since we have taken no payment details. AuctionSplash will always be FREE, offering FREE image hosting, FREE templates and monitoring of your auctions. There are no hidden charges and we are definitely not "Sneaky".

The PRO version that I am stil working on will be ready for release on the 1st November. I am working 20 hours per day on this (7 days a week). It has been VERY hard work and is taking up a very considerable part of my life. The PRO version really offers sellers a complete Desktop Solution for eBay. It offers all the automation and inventory control and advanced scheduling as well as advanced viewing stats analysis. But as I said, the PRO version will be available for evaluation.

When you use AuctionSplash we maintain a local database that we update with the current status. When you mark an item as shipped we update in the local database and on eBay. This is important since we do nothing that can tie you in to using our program. I have heard of some people who have stopped using an online service and then asked for their data and were told that they could not have access to it. We do not do that so we have no tie in. This means that we have to offer a good product.

As regarding the slowing down of your computer. As other replies have said, it can be due to many reasons. AuctionSplash checks the status of your Auctions in the background every 5 minutes. It uses Microsoft's Threading to perform these actions and this should not show any effects on your computer. I have not been contacted by anyone saying that AuctionSplash has caused their computer to slow down. I do however understand your problem and would suggest that you look at driver problems and virus and Google Desktop especially.

I hope that this rather long reply has put your mind at rest. There is no con going on. I have developed what I think is a great program and many others seem to agree. I am working full time to get it even better and will continue to do so. AuctionSplash is FREE and always will be. If you like the PRO version and decide to upgrade then that is fantastic and will keep my business partner and my wife (2 separate persons!) very happy.

We will be adding many more templates over the coming months and are currently talking with a professional design company about enhancing our current offering. But in the meantime I think the auctions that are running with AuctionSplash look great (but then I am biased).

Go on, try AuctionSplash ... IT IS FREE

and it would make me very happy.

Regards,

Trevor Bond
AuctionSplash
Clef
Kudos: 35
21 Oct 2007
This may not be the right place to say something regarding reccomendations for auction splash however one thing would be a great fix.

Auction splash templates are cool and great that they are free but eBay offers the Value pack ($0.65)which combines Gallery, Subtitle and Listing designer.

Without the listing designer Gallery and Subtitle are ($0.85) now that's just 20 cents but for a lot of auctions that's a lot of money!

Of course the main benefeit of auction splash is of course the free image hosting.

My reccomendation is a way to use the listing designer in Auction Splash and keep the free image hosting.

Otherwise if you use the common upgrades the only way to save money using auction splash is to host at least 3 images.

This is just my two cents, I always appreciate freeware programs. Unfortunatly when they get attention they almost always turn into money machines. Hehe

Keep up the good work (hopefully on the GUI )
Supplier
howard@auctionsplash.com United Kingdom
AuctionSplash Ltd
Kudos: 55
21 Oct 2007
Good point about the Value Pack. I only wish we could use it through the API .

I think we have spoken before about this and I was pleased to see your positive comments about our templates. We do try .. and we are working on improving them as well as enabling you to use your templates by inserting bits of code into them in order to be able to use our gallery etc.

Regarding the GUI - can you PLEASE be more specific about what improvements you would like. Now I realise that this forum is not the right place to start an AuctionSplash support thread but I would say that AuctionSplash is being actively developed and it is being developed to please the customer (YOU). I am sure that many products are in the same position ... if there is something that you do not like, or could be improved, then PLEASE contact the vendor in question and make your suggestions. I can't speak for any other vendor but if you contact AuctionSplash then your question will be attended to and, if you have a request then we will do all we can to accomodate.

I would just like to add something to my last post (I ran out of characters ) but I really do not want to criticise the original post. If our terms and conditions put that doubt in Graham's mind then it was 100% our fault and his conclusions are entirely reasonable given the cynical nature of most businesses these days.

Regards,

Trevor
Raven
22 Oct 2007
Hi Trevor
I am glad to see you getting involved here, and if Andy and company decide this isn't the place for AS support issues I will gladly build a site just for that type of conversation.

But this is a review forum, and I believe it is (or should be) perfectly acceptable to discuss it here for the simple reason folks like myself don't care how many you please, it's how you respond and deal with those you don't please that are the basis for decisions on what products I use.

(Andy, please chime in here)

As for your new Pro version, I may give it a whirl when I get ready to fire off some auctions again. That won't be before January due to my "real" job, but I am eager to give it try just to see if it makes life any easier. As I said before I write my own HTML templates and host my own images and backgrounds and sometimes video, but hey, if you can make my life easier I'm all for it. LoL

And as for the problem of the slowing down, when I saw you mentioned Threading last night I got to thinking and may have something. If I remember correctly Windows XP home version had some sort of issue with threading that was resolved in one of the critical updates early on. Now I will be the first to admit I could be wrong and I can't quote anything and don't have time to go looking right now, but it might be worth exploring if anyone else has this issue.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
22 Oct 2007
Hi All,

I am happy for you to give AS feedback here, but they do have their own forums which would be more suitable for detailed discussions: www.auctionsplash.com/forums
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Raven
22 Oct 2007
True enough Andy, but this place is independent of any one company ruling out the possibility of the company editing or deleting posts to make themselves look better. Not that I am saying Trevor would do such a thing, but an independent site such as this takes even the thought of such a thing out of the picture making for a much more relaxed and open discussion about any and all companies and products.

Plus the added advantage here is this is where folks already come to see what's available and what might work best for their own needs.

Just food for thought.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
22 Oct 2007
Hi Raven, I take your point.

I guess what I am saying is to choose the appropriate forum on a case-by-case basis, for example:

• If you want to give your opinion or voice concerns about a product then this is the right place: you know your post will not be deleted, everyone can contribute at the same level, and it fits the purpose of the forum (eBay software discussion)

• If you want to talk about the design of a particular product or have ideas for improvements, the developer's own forum (if they have one) would normally be more appropriate: the right people will get to see your post quickly, and it will fit the purpose of their forum (in-depth discussion of their product)

• By the way, I don't have to do much moderation in these forums, we get a little spam and inappropriate advertising (off-topic or on the wrong board) but that's about it. So, on the whole, just keep doing what you're doing!
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Clef
    Kudos: 35
    22 Oct 2007
    Hi Trevor,

I would be happy to offer my advise into GUI improvements if you needed. Or even general improvements. I'll go ahead and respect Andy's wishes and I agree with them as well. Perhaps we could talk about it on MSN or through messeges. Can accomplish a lot more then rapid fire back and fourth on the forums.

I'd like to improve the GUI while cutting down on the required resources.

anyways get back with me if interested.

Seller Dynamics
    ReplyManager
    Sellware
    Ad-Lister