Narrowed down to 2 consignment selling applications

Poster
Cyrus
Kudos: 211
Narrowed down to 2 consignment selling applications
12 Sep 2007
I've been selling items for friends and family on ebay for years now, and I'm finally ready to take the plunge and go full time thanks to a contract with a local business.
I'll probably source inventory to supplement my income, but my primary business will be ebay consignment.
I've narrowed my choices down to either AuctionWagon or AuctionSound. Both programs seem to have their advantages, but I'm concerned about needing to sync with the AuctionWagon server after reading one of their reviews and I can't find any information on whether or not they are Vista compatible.
I'm not too keen with not having a trial to test drive AuctionSound and only getting an online demonstration, but they seem to have some pretty serious sellers on their testimonials page.
Any feedback or additional information on these third party apps is appreciated.

[Last edited by moderator: — 12 Sep 2007]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: Narrowed down to 2 consignment selling applications
12 Sep 2007
Hi again Cyrus,

I've just added to the topic title so people can quickly see what you are looking for help with.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Cyrus
13 Sep 2007
Thanks Andy. I hope this will draw more replies to my questions.
Cyrus
14 Sep 2007
I just downloaded my trial version of Auction Wagon G2. I'll keep you guys posted on my findings in the next week as I get to kick the tires. I haven't spoken to AuctionSound yet to schedule a demo. I think that I'll try Auction Wagon first.
Supplier
bhogue
Kudos: 220
14 Sep 2007
Cyrus,

This is Brett from AuctionSound. I would be happy to run you through a demo of our software at your convenience. Give me a call to schedule. 866.881.3229.
Cyrus
14 Sep 2007
Thanks Brett. I want to give Auction Wagon a try fisrt so that I can have an idea of how your software compares when I request the demo. I did have a few questions first though....

Does AuctionSound support multiple users, and is there a charge for each user?

What operating systems is AuctionSound compatible with?

Does AuctionSound support ebay stores and multiple auction templates?
Supplier
bhogue
Kudos: 220
17 Sep 2007
Cyrus,

AuctionSound supports unlimited users for no extra charge. AuctionSound has a flat rate monthly pricing structure based on volume.
AuctionSound is web based. It will run on any system with an internet connection, including Vista and Mac.
AuctionSound DOES support eBay stores. Your items can be posted as a store listing and also be inserted into the proper store category when launching an auction. We also support multiple templates. We have several for you to choose from and we can build custom templates for you if you would like.
I hope this helps. Give us a call when you're ready for that demo.
Cyrus
24 Sep 2007
I've reached my breaking point with Auction Wagon!!!

--- Negatives ---
Only one predefined auction template

No obvious user guide, welcome letter, or real technical support to assist in the set up of the software's configuration, or help with daily issues during the learning curve.

No way to directly launch auctions. Every auction requires manager approval even if created by a manager which makes you touch every auction twice.

Remote connectivity is absolutely horrid! The system runs so slowly that at times it felt as if I was on dial up. I would have been better off with GoToMyPC.

The inferface looks cartoonish at best, and is not user firendly. Few of the tasks are properly organized and require several steps to complete after jumping around in the system.

NOT VISTA COMPATIBLE!!!!! I can't stress this enough! Try finding a laptop or computer at any local retailer with anything other than VISTA. If you want to run Auction Wagon, you'd better already have the equipment, or have time to wait for a mail order.

Sketchy communications. My consignor notifications sometimes took up to 6 hours to reach my customers, and none of my auctions launched at their scheduled times.

--- Positives ---
Seems to be a robust application once you learn to use it and get it properly set up

This is just not the software I'm looking for to run my business. I need something more nimble, efficient, reliable, and intuitive.
Supplier
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 256
25 Sep 2007
Have you talked to Auction Wagon first before posting this review ? I have recently read a very good review about them, may be you should call them and they can help you understand the software better.

Thanks
Paul
www.ChannelMAX.Net
Cyrus
26 Sep 2007
To the best of my knowledge, Auction Wagon does not offer phone support until you actually decide to purchase their software which was one of my biggest gripes about their service. Does Auction Wagon have someone that contributes to these forums and might be able to answer some of my questions?
Cyrus
27 Sep 2007
I went through the AuctionSound demonstration yesterday with Brett. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the layout and functionality of the software. They have all of the feautres that a serious ebay drop off store will need. Just like Auction Wagon, there were some things on my wish list that were lacking, but I don't think that there's anyone out there that can do it ALL.

What impressed me most was how accessible they appear to be for customer service. No ticketing systems, chat screens, or emails, but real live phone support. After Brett finished the demo his sales manager joined us on the call to see if I had any questions, and I was even introduced to my customer support representative.

I still haven't committed to them and want to review some of the others I previously overlooked before taking the plunge, but right now they are way out in front!
Cyrus
16 Oct 2007
I apologize for not having updated this post sooner, but things have really taken off!
I signed up with AuctionSound a little over 2 weeks ago after 2 live demonstrations of the software. I was a little skeptical at first, but their support was what made me commit. Overall the software is very intuitive and offers A LOT of time saving features. It seems as though it was built in a real world environment instead of a laboratory. Of course there are some features that I'd like to see incorporated, and other things that I'd do differently, but all in all, I'm really glad that I chose AuctionSound.
Someone ALWAYS answers the phone! I must have called them 5 times in the first week with questions about setting up my account and I always got through, and someone always answered my question. In fact, today they called me to see how things were going and tell me my account had been updated with their integrated DHL shipping which actually has better rates than what DHL quoted me over the phone.

Well, I've gotta go, I started worrking with a retailer that's giving me about 50 auctions per week. Time to go list........
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
16 Oct 2007
Thanks for the update Cyrus, I'm glad you have found a package that works for you

If you could submit a review of AuctionSound it would be much appreciated!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister