Web Based Auction Management for Antique Business

Poster
russellmcox
Kudos: 25
Web Based Auction Management for Antique Business
13 Sep 2007
I'm looking for an auction management solution with somewhat unique requirements.

Our inventory is constantly changing and is usually one of a kind.

We require lots of pictures, 10 seems to do it nicely.
My wife and I work in collaboration.

She does the:
- inventory management (sku's - very important)
- price research,
- category assignment &
- unique descriptions (a spell checker would be nice).

I do the:
- picture taking,
- scheduled batch posting (using sku's) and
- any html template design.

We both have fun watching the auctions progress to completion (audible bid sounds are great).

We need superior post auction management assistance, including:
- winning bid notification,
- payment reminders,
- non-payment assistance,
- automatic feedback,
- shipping consolidation
- maybe postage
- packing lists &
- labels.

Our volume is low, so the price must scale.

We want to later incorporate an eCommerce Store to sell items not currently up for auction.

I'm thinking we need a web based solution, since she does her thing in the early evening & I do mine whenever, from wherever.

We are currently using Marketworks, but it is costly since we orient our auctions based on when we find stuff. If we don't find stuff, we don't run any for that month, but the billing goes on!

Any thoughts on what would work best for us, would be appreciated.

Regards,
Russell Cox
United States United States
bobf
Kudos: 15
Re: Web Based Auction Management for Antique Business
17 Sep 2007
Check out our software - SimpleAuctionSite.com or you can contact me at bobfreedman@nc.rr.com
India India
behappy
Kudos: 15
17 Sep 2007
Hi russellmcox ,

Understanding your business requirements, I would highly recommend you to have a look on "Andale", It not only provides you with the flexible tools to save time, money but will also help you increasing your sales number. Moreover you can also avail the facility of setting you your own store front with no listing/extra charges.

For U.K - call up Asif on - 0800 8456 702, alternatively you can also send him an email in asifn@andale.com
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
18 Sep 2007
bobf,

It is not acceptable to simply promote your own software. Please consider other options when responding to a post, and if you recommend your own software you need to say why it would be suitable for the poster's specific needs.

behappy,

It seems very likely from this and your other posts (now deleted) that you are connected with Andale. The Board Rules require you to declare any connections you have. Also, read my comments on bobf's post above. It is not acceptable to simply promote your own software.

[Last edited: 18 Sep 2007]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
russellmcox
18 Sep 2007
Thanks Andy, for keeping them honest!

I guess I actually never stated that eBay was my target auction venue. I assumed everyone would realize that.

The recommendation for simpleauctionsite.com isn't gonna fly because its software to run your own auctions. Been there, Done that! I'm trying to tap into the eBay market.

The recommendation for Andale, won't work either. I've used them in the past. In my experience they were expensive and support was unresponsive to bugs and issues.

I've been looking at AuctionHawk. I'm doing a trial as we speak. Their cost was great until I tried to use 2 different eBay ID's. They advise that that would double the minimum cost. I'm not to happy with that, but we'll see how the rest of the evaluation goes.

So, I'm still open to suggestions... preferably from people using the product and not from would-be Salesman.

Regards,
Russell Cox
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
18 Sep 2007
Hi Russell,

I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but here are some web-based, low-cost solutions you could look into:

AuctionSound - they specialize in consignment selling, which might also be a good fit for your one-of-a-kind items

ChannelMAX - very low cost

Estates-On-Line.com - might be a good fit for antiques

EZLister.net - charge per listing rather than per month

inkFrog - good reputation as a lister, which is very important for non-product line items like antiques and collectibles

By the way, you might be interested in PriceMiner - it's a research tool with data from eBay, TIAS, and GoAntiques.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
Auction Camera
18 Sep 2007
Hello,

Please check out our solutions at www.auctioncamera.com. We offer a wireless digital camera with built in barcode reader, unlimited photos, organization of web based inventory and creation of great listings on eBay. You will see a significant reduction in time to get inventory and photos organized online for listing on eBay or Craigslist.

Some of our features that fit your needs
You can bring/build your own html templates.
Built in Wysiwyg Editor / Browser Based spell checker
Barcode labels for inventory organization/tracking/image renaming
Web based Visual Inventory organized by barcode item number
Category picker / lookup based on search value
Item and Ad Templates
Unlimited Seller Profiles/Seller Id's
Image Watermarking
Fixed Flat Rate Monthly Pricing

We currently do not support most of the features you are looking for for post sale but continue to add customer driven features.

Feel free to contact us at sales@auctioncamera.com for any questions.

Thanks,
Tom (tom@auctioncamera.com)
Tom
russellmcox
19 Sep 2007
So, you don't support most of the features I'm looking for and yet you choose to respond. I don't mean to be rude, but.... Your response is unecessary, so why waste the bandwidth?

Regards,
Russell Cox

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor