How many eBay drop off stores are there?

Poster
Cyrus
Kudos: 211
How many eBay drop off stores are there?
14 Sep 2007
ebay shows a total of 5,978 staffed ebay drop off locations in the United States that speak English. Here's the link:
tradingassistant.ebay.com
The real question is how many of these are still open? I personally can't imagine that many staffed drop off locations nationwide. If you average it out, it's over 100 drop off locations per state.

Do you think there are more or less ebay drop off locations in the US?
United States United States
NewLifeAuctions
Kudos: 45
Re: How many eBay drop off stores are there?
14 Sep 2007
I opened a drop off store from 2002 to 2004. We finally threw in the towel because we were not making enough money for the work. I think you can be successful doing one of these, but eventually most of them will fold up. I feel really sorry for those people that opened one of those franchise stores. There is no way they can make any money with all those franchise fees thrown in.

The only thing we have left from the store is the website. I converted the site into an eBay help site and I kept the original domain name.

[Last edited: 14 Sep 2007]
Visit www.newlifeauctions.com to learn how to start a successful eBay business.
Supplier
ChannelMAX
Kudos: 256
14 Sep 2007
Thanks NewLifeAuctions for sharing your experience !! I am sure your feedback is of immense value for anyone aspiring to open one !!

Thanks
Paul
Raven
Kudos: 110
14 Sep 2007
I too did a small scale eBay drop off store type of thing for about 6 months back in 01. It was quite a fiasco that required 3 people to run it and almost enough profit for 1 person. I probably still have items that didn't sell that people never came to pick up.

If you want to help people with eBay then teach them how to use it as well as how to use a digital camera. I did this from my home charging $20.00 per hour for a couple of years and had anywhere from 2 to 6 clients per day 6 days a week. People were happy and paid in cash, if they could type and knew the basics about using a computer in 2 hours you could easily go over all the rules and have them ready to start their own listings. Those who didn't know anything about computers started in a group of 5 (do the math at $20.00 per hour per person) and I taught them the basics before moving on to eBay stuff. I live in a small town now but still do some teaching on a small scale. I also show them how to use Craigslist.

Now, if you want to make money with eBay that's the way to do it. Your making people happy and making money, I made more with that gig than I ever did selling on eBay, I didn't shaft anyone in the process or have items lost or damaged in shipping or people screaming a NOS part was not as described just because it wasn't in a roach eaten, dusty 40 year old factory box.

Life without stress eBay can cause, PRICELESS!!
Cyrus
Kudos: 211
14 Sep 2007
Well that's 5,978 -2= 5,976 ebay drop off stores so far assuming that neither of the people above removed themselves from the directory.

Can you remove yourself from the directory?
NewLifeAuctions
14 Sep 2007
I removed us as a drop off location when we closed our doors. Eventually eBay booted us out of the TA directory because we didn't sell anything for a while. So we are definitely not padding the statistics.

We also had a bunch of stuff people left and never bothered to pick up. I think these people were happy just to get the stuff out of their house and didn't want to take it back. We ended up giving a bunch of it away on Craigslist.

Raven is so right about the stress level. The whole time we had the store open I was completely stressed out. My hair has gone almost completely grey from all the stress. Now that the store is no more, I can enjoy life again.

That's a good tip about teaching people how to use eBay. I might have to try that. I've been focusing my spare time on building a website with a bunch of eBay info instead.

[Last edited: 14 Sep 2007]
Raven
15 Sep 2007
I tried the whole eBay help site myself some time back, I enjoy helping people and it seemed so logical. And I wasn't trying to make a dime off the site, but the super ego's behind eBay and their eNazi thug lawyers didn't like some comments that people had made on my forum and started with their threats of legal action. I just hit my delete button rather than fight it.

Maybe it's pure coincidence but about 6 months later eBay added their own user forum.

As for stress, welcome to the gray hair club for eBay users. Been there since 98 through all the UPS and downs and still enjoy 99% of the people I deal with. But I now cringe at the thought of listing anything and dealing with eBay and their ever changing policies. Last year I listed a parts car, It was just a wrecked 99 Mustang that was totaled and could probably never be made to drive again. I made the fatal mistake of saying "It runs just fine" which you can't say in the parts car category. A few years ago they decided you can't even mention a title in the parts car category despite that in most stated it is actually ILLEGAL to sell a motor vehicle without a title. I understand the need for rules but since eBay went public it has really gone downhill and fast. Now that Craigslist has taken off maybe they will take a hint as to why people like me have moved on to something else for the most part.

Oh and for added stress, the last 2 months I was dealing strictly on eBay full time my sellers fees exceeded my total sales by nearly $100.00. I only list what I can afford to give away now and the rest gets listed on Craigslist. My eBay fees for last month were $4.90

Teaching adults is actually pretty fun most of the time, there are those who will just never figure out the power button but most learn pretty quick and we have a lot of fun. Especially the seniors, I'm old enough to be in the club but young enough to still have fun, tell a 80 year old woman you will show her how to do something but it will cost her a cheesecake and her eyes light up.
NewLifeAuctions
15 Sep 2007
That's pretty harsh to be threatened by a bunch of eBay lawyers. I thought about adding a forum or comment section on my site, but the thought of having to constantly keep the spam off has deterred me. I'll be happy if eBay never finds out about my site.

The website thing is mostly a hobby for me that I obsess way too much over. I'm constatnly checking the stats to see how many vistors have come. I need to stop looking at it and move on to something else. I'm trying to make a few bucks with the google ads and a few affiliate links, but the return on my time is just horrendous. Maybe after 10 years I might clear $5/hour.

I ran into my share of wacky eBay users out there too that caused me all sorts of stress. One customer brought in some native american memorabilia. One of the items was a set of eagle talons. I thought this was a bit strange, but not knowing any better, I listed it on eBay. The next day I get this email for a eBay user claiming to be native american. He said it was against the law to sell those things (which I know is true now) and that I should send it to him so he could properly take care of it. After I verified the law, I promptly ended the auction and let the guy know that I was returning the items to the owner. That wasn't good enough. He demanded I send the item to him or he would report me to the authorities. Of course I told him where to stick it so he emails the fish and game department and CC's me. Nothing ever happened and I removed all the photos from the server. I bet that guy just wanted the item for free so he could sell it himself.

The eBay fees were killing us too. We started out with a commission that included the eBay fees. I thought this would make doing the math on the commission easy on the customer. Of course, eBay starts raising fees which took a bigger bite out of our revenue. I eventually had to pass the eBay fees through to the customer. But to have your eBay fees higher than your sales is mind boggling.

I like teaching people too, so I'm seriously thinking about what you said. I have my limits though. I will only teach someone that knows where the "any" key is .
Raven
15 Sep 2007
Maybe I should do another eBay forum just so those of us who have "been there, done that" can share our wacky eBay adventures.

I also understand the "obsessed hobby" all too well. But we all need something to mask our insanity and make us feel like something other than mindless eBay drones. At least I got over my stat watching addiction, it wasn't easy but you too can break that cycle of addiction. I found for me taking up smoking really helped, I can't smoke in the house so I have to go outside and away from the computer, everytime I get the urge to check site stats I make myself smoke another one. So what if I smoke 3 packs a day, at least I am getting outside in the fresh air!!

(The preceding paragraph is in fact fiction intended to be funny. Please don't actually try curing yourself from stat addiction this way, if your truly addicted to stats please seek professional help. There is help, there is hope.)

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister