Improve My Product Shots

Poster
United States United States
Vertus
Kudos: 31
Improve My Product Shots
6 Dec 2007
What types of programs are out there to improve the product images we use on auction sites? Are people spending hundreds of dollars on Photoshop just to resize pictures?
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
Re: Improve My Product Shots
11 Dec 2007
We recommend Picasa2 to our members. It's owned by Google and it's completely free. It says its only free for personal use, but when I emailed them to ask how much it would be for business use, they said don't worry about it.

It's a neat program that will allow you to do lighting corrections and batch quality and sizing changes.
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com
Supplier
Vertus
Kudos: 31
18 Dec 2007
Thanks for offering this editing option. I guess this is useful for people that are able to take studio photos for their sites.

Our Bling! It program is intended for the rest of us that take pictures with dogs racing through the backgrounds or are force to use a sheet as a backdrop.

Bling! It lets you resize, reshape, and add new backgrounds, shadows, highlights, a company logo, and optimize the file for web use. You should check it out for free at www.blingit.us

[Last edited: 19 Dec 2007]
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
19 Dec 2007
Thanks for the addition Vertus. We're always looking for ways to help improve our clients' business, and I will definitely check out the software you recommended.

If you want more info on how to take good pictures on a low budget, see the guide we have on our learning center. It's written by Camerajim, an expert photographer and eBayer. Take a look here:

www.sellcenter.net/community/index.php/topic,7.0.html
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com
Seller1
Kudos: 385
19 Dec 2007
Get a Mac...it will do it for you.
United States
nochkin
Kudos: 632
31 Dec 2007

Seller1 wrote:

Get a Mac...it will do it for you.
Mac won't do it. Software will
United States
nochkin
31 Dec 2007
I think that the best resize is in IrfanView software.
You can do some other simple stuff there also.
www.irfanview.com
Raven
Kudos: 110
11 Jan 2008
Silly me, I actually paid for Photoshop!! LMAO

Ok so I am also a webmaster and use it to create graphics, I also use a Mac for some things and it has it's uses too. Maybe not for surfing the net but it does have it's uses. LoL

Alright, getting serious about the topic, why not set your camera up to take the pictures in the size and format you want to use?? Sure you can use editing programs and services to resize and edit but if your camera doesn't give you what you want perhaps it's time to consider your camera options and save yourself that headache.

What do I use?
For years I used the Sony Mavica's like the MCV-FD73 which was my first Sony and the MVC-CD350 which is a few years old now. Currently I use a Nikon D3 but to be blunt honest the MVC-CD350 does just as good a job for taking pictures of items for eBay and is much easier for the novice to use and was a fraction of the cost. No it isn't as fast as the D3 and isn't a professional grade camera like the D3, but like I tell people who ask how much my D3 costs "If you have to ask you probably can't afford it". And unless your a professional taking pictures for both the internet and magazine's you don't need a D3, but I mention it purely because when it comes to taking pictures for eBay it doesn't do any better job than the Sony's I have owned, which should say something about the much cheaper Sony.

As for what else might be out there, that might be a good topic for discussion here as I have not tried anything else. When I bought that first FD73 I did my homework and it was the absolute best on the market at the time, and I tend to stick with what works for me. And it took pictures that were good enough to publish, I only upgraded to the D3 because I wanted more speed after I missed many good shots that might have made national publications. And for the record, I don't stalk the stars, I capture natures fury including fires, floods, hurricanes and the occasional tornado if I'm not too busy running away from it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. It only makes sense to avoid that extra step.
United States
nochkin
11 Jan 2008
Raven, Photoshop's standard algorithm for resizing is very poor.
Try to resize one big image into small using Photoshop and Irfanview, especially when it has many little details on it.

Resizing by using your digital camera is even worse. Pixels on camera don't get smaller so it does software resize which is very simple for performance purposes.
Raven
11 Jan 2008
That's just it, I don't resize anything anywhere, at least not for use on eBay and other sales sites.

With the Sony you simply go into settings and change how it takes a picture, I don't have the camera or manual handy and it has been a while but I believe I just have it set for email size and the resolution set to fine. I will double check that this evening, but once the camera is set up to take the pictures you want in the size you want then there is nothing to resize or edit.

And I am sure there are many cameras available that can do this that are as affordable as the Sony or perhaps even cheaper. Everyone seems to be caught up in Mega pixels and fancy gadgets, and for family photos that will be printed I can see that. But the MCV- FD73 still takes a quality picture and used to get lots of compliments on my auction pictures from people wanting to know more about my camera. Fact is the MCV-FD73 is only a 0.3Mp camera, it's slow as molasses, noisy and uses a 3.5 floppy disk, and it's about 10 years old, yet it takes pictures that are 1024x768 and most pictures are under 500Kb so they are fast loading. And for eBay, that works!!
United States
nochkin
11 Jan 2008
Raven, I know this camera very well. I don't use floppy drives and disks for at least 7 years (not reliable), and I don't even have a floppy drive in my PC for that period (waste of energy and space).

But if quality of pictures is not main concern then it should be okay to resize with your camera. I just personally can't accept this quality for my own pics. But that maybe just me
Raven
11 Jan 2008
Your still not hearing me, Don't resize, RE-SET!!

My D3 can take pictures as small as 300x225 that are top quality pictures (probably a couple Megs) but their size is SMALL so you don't have to resize them. It's all in the settings, but for what I paid for the D3 setup it should also have a setting to wipe my arse somewhere.

Of course what ever works for you is great, but look into your camera settings, not features or extras but the base settings. If you can set it so it takes the picture in say a 1024x768 JPG format then THAT is what the image will be created as.

Yea I used some caps there, I just trying to emphaSIZE more than shout. LMAO
United States
nochkin
11 Jan 2008
Raven, I understand you.
That's why I'm saying that if you specify a different size in your camera settings then you camera will do resize on its own.

Pixels can not get smaller, pixels are always the same size.
If you specified another pixel resolution that means that camera made a shot on full setting and then made a resizing internally for you so you get a smaller picture.

The smallest pic D3 can make if 2128 x 1416 (which is about 3MP), but it does it by resizing internally 12MP into 3MP just before saving.
Raven
11 Jan 2008
Ok nochkin,
Now your going into an area where I have to take your word and assume you know what's going on inside these cameras. My knowledge is based on what so called experts have told me which sounds logical, but I ain't the expert and what might actually happens inside a digital camera is something I never took time to learn for myself.

I just know that whatever it does inside there has worked very well for me for years.

Now if you can just show me the setting for the D3 to make this thing wipe for me............ ROTFLMAO
United States
nochkin
11 Jan 2008

Raven wrote:

Now if you can just show me the setting for the D3 to make this thing wipe for me............ ROTFLMAO
Call Nikon support for this

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo