US Sellers - Amazon Price Parity

Poster
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
US Sellers - Amazon Price Parity
6 Nov 2016
For those sellers in the US that sell on Amazon, how much do you all worry about Amazon's price parity clause in their Terms of Service? According to their TOS, you are supposed to keep your prices on Amazon equal or less to everywhere else you sell. Of course, Amazon's fees are higher than everywhere else I sell. How do you all handle this situation?
Philippines Philippines
Yeongwonhi
Kudos: 88
Re: US Sellers - Amazon Price Parity
17 Nov 2016
Was wondering if anybody else gotten their way around to this?
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
17 Nov 2016
@Yeongwonhi

I match my prices across all markets I sell in but I have not had anybody else seem to worry about it everywhere I have asked. Apparently it is not strictly enforced at this point.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
17 Nov 2016
I asked Chris McCabe who is ex-Amazon and works with a lot of sellers and he said:

Yes, sellers must maintain the same pricing on amazon as they have on their own web sites. Sellers tend to rat each other out for this and check each other's sites a lot, so they send in a report, Amazon checks it, sends a warning if it's correct.
So maybe Amazon aren't very proactive about policing it themselves, but they act on it if told.

[Last edited: 17 Nov 2016]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,311
30 Nov 2016
When we started selling on Amazon several years ago we were approached by Amazon.com to sell on that platform. When I asked about the pricing parity issue I was told that it was strictly enforced and that if we fell foul of this rule we would be removed from all of Amazon.

Needless to say we do not sell on Amazon.com.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Jax Music Supply
30 Nov 2016
@Bigian13

Well, you are in the UK and it has been deemed illegal there as I recall. So you should be ok to sell now, if you so choose.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,311
8 Dec 2016
@Jax Music Supply

According to a discussion in the last seven days with our contact at Amazon, if we want to sell on Amazon.com we still have to maintain the price parity.

As the products / service / contract are covered by US law, EU regulations regarding parity would not be applicable.

If there are any other UK / EU sellers that could pass comment or advice it would be appreciated.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Jax Music Supply
8 Dec 2016
@Bigian13

I personally think it could be illegal in the US but I haven't seen any court cases on it. This may be why they haven't forced the issue whole hardheartedly. A case could be made that by forcing "most favored" pricing to third party merchants, it causes a barrier to entry for lower price marketplaces due to their dominance in the online retail space. Even then, most parties would be reluctant to take that on. It would have to be a Federal case (by the nature of the law in question in the U.S.) would be very expensive. It may even require the DOJ to actually press it, which makes it political and less likely to ever happen.
NYC United States
hoolah
Kudos: 23
8 Dec 2016
@Jax Music Supply

I doubt legality has anything to do with it, but enforceability of the clause might. There are a few courts that distinctly do not like these so called "clickwrap" agreements, almost across the board. The federal district court in Nevada, for example, in the Zappos case. The law isn't quite settled, but Amazon would certainly know about the Zappos case - they own them.

As far as it being a part of a contract, I mean, you're given consideration to use their platform, software, some use of their reputation branding and logo to sell in exchange for a myriad of things including this, could it be unconscionable? Who knows? But anyone here up for suing Amazon over it?

I actually wonder how close to the product it needs to be. Sure, you have UPC codes, but you can have, say, two phones that are basically the same but have different UPC codes because of minute differences. How exact does it need to get, can one tiny difference be enough to make them different products and not subject to the rule? What if you only sold red colored USB sticks on Amazon and Pink ones on your website?

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro