Greener than Green! :)

Poster
geoffreytomkins
Kudos: 25
Greener than Green! :)
9 Jan 2008
Hi, and thank you in advance for anyone that is kind enough to post sugestions for me!

I'm Greener than Green. Just bought Three items on e-bay over the last few Months, but now seriously thinking of an On-Line Business there?

I've had a good look at some of the software on here. However, everyone seems to have their own personal opions. Thats great, but it just confuses me even more!

Can anyone just suggest a simple program to get me started selling? Also, a program that is stable and dependable, and of course, Free! I have checked out this Forum and some of the comments about Programs on here. However, I am really "Fresh" at all this, so really need to be Spoonfed!

Thanks Once again,

Geoff Tomkins...
EnglishMan living in Latvia. Back and forth from Kent/England to Cesis/Latvia.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: Greener than Green! :)
13 Jan 2008
Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the site

The first thing to understand is that you do not need any software to sell a few things on eBay. If you have never sold before I would just use eBay's own system, which is fine for selling a few items.

Software becomes important when you are selling on eBay as a business, to help manage auctions, automate listing, track sales, and so on.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Raven
Kudos: 110
13 Jan 2008
Must have missed this one the other night.

Andy is right, eBay's listing system works great for getting started. I still use it more often than not even though it's a bit slow. I write my descriptions up in Microsoft Word before I start my listings which makes it a simple copy and paste process, so once I start my listings I can easily do 20 in an hour without breaking a sweat.

I write my own HTML, but they have tools to help you with the look of your auctions if you don't know anything about HTML.

You also have a choice between hosting your pictures with eBay or on your own site, I don't know about their fees for that as I have always used my own web server to host my pics but if you don't have your own website or worse yet know nothing about web hosting it's going to be a good deal. The only other advise I can offer you on hosting is if it is free it may cost you in the end, the free ones have limits and if too many people look at your auction your pics might not show up if you exceed the limits, thus costing you sales.

So just dive in and good luck to ya!
Kent&Latvia Latvia
geoffreytomkins
Kudos: 25
13 Jan 2008
Thanks Andy and Raven for the advice. I'll give it a bash and see what happens!

Geoff...

[Last edited: 13 Jan 2008]
EnglishMan living in Latvia. Back and forth from Kent/England to Cesis/Latvia.
Supplier
United States
myibay.com
Kudos: 229
14 Jan 2008
Sveiki geoffreytomkins!

I agree with everybody, eBay has its own system which is very good for starting and low-volume sells (I'm listing about 5-10 auctions per week and it's good for me).

Just want to add my 2 santims:
If you need to simplify/automate part of this process then you can look into eBay Turbo Lister software. It's free.
pages.ebay.com/turbo_lister/

Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco