making the first amazon sale

Poster
forum
Kudos: 41
making the first amazon sale
1 Dec 2016
Created my first product listing on Amazon UK a fortnight ago, its a private brand in beauty sector.

Listing have good pictures and keywords in search term however i cant even see my listing in the first top 10 product page.

Anyone know how i can find the page ranking and what i need to do to push the listing closer to the first page.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,092
Re: making the first amazon sale
3 Dec 2016
@forum

As a new seller, you will find it hard to get a top 10 listing with just one product, especially in the sector in which you are listing.

You can check 'sales rank' by scrolling down the product page and it is with a load of other information under 'Product information' but not much use to you if you have not made a sale yet.

The other option is to go to Seller Central on your Amazon dashboard, 'Reports', 'Business Reports', 'Detail Page Sales and Traffic by Child Item'. this will tell you if you are getting any page views.

If you are not getting any page views then either a: nobody wants that (type of) product, or b: you have done something wrong / not as well as others regarding your listing.

Other similar products may have reviews, multiple sellers, answered questions and sales that all (allegedly) help Amazons algorithm to order the search results. If your profit margins or wallet allow, try promoting your product through Amazons Sponsored Products until you get a few sales. When you do get sales ask, but do not pester, your customers for an honest review and feedback.

Get somebody else to search for your product as if they were a customer, and not a seller. See if what they search for is the same as what you would expect and adjust your keywords accordingly.

You say you have a private brand. Does searching solely for that brand return any better results ?

I am sure that Andy will not mind if you post your listings ASIN so we can have a look and try and help you more.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Norfolk UK United Kingdom
forum
4 Dec 2016

Bigian13 wrote:

@forum
The other option is to go to Seller Central on your Amazon dashboard, 'Reports', 'Business Reports', 'Detail Page Sales and Traffic by Child Item'. this will tell you if you are getting any page views.
Hi Bigian13,
Thanks a lot for your detailed response, i have gone into my amazon central dashboard, under REPORTS tab i only have Payments and tax Document library there isn't any business reports option there.

I'm not using FBA and my Seller status is Individual rather than Professional.
i'm guessing that im doing something wrong but cant figure it out.

[Last edited: 4 Dec 2016]
Bigian13
7 Dec 2016
@forum

It is quite a while since I set up an Amazon account, but being an 'Individual' rather than a business may affect the reports available.

As I said previously, if you post the ASIN of your product we will be able to have a look at it for you.
forum
8 Dec 2016
@Bigian13
Thanks, ive just sent you the ASIN by PM
Bigian13
14 Dec 2016
Due to the fact the title of the post may appeal to others wanting to make that first Amazon sale, I am posting an abridged version of the PM reply I sent without any personally identifiable information.

As the OP decided to send me the ASIN via PM rather than post it, I assume they do not want their information made public. A bit strange but I will honour that.

The original post implies that this is their first Amazon sale / listing. Not really the case as the sellers account has been active since around August 2011 albeit selling different products (based on feedback). The fact that they are selling on a personal account whilst clearly a business is against Amazon policy, and UK law. If you buy any product with the intention to sell at a later date, in the eyes of the law you are a business. This includes sales on other platforms such as eBay, facebook and even car boot sales. In the UK, HMRC are (slowly) starting to get tough with online sellers.

After analysing the OPs keywords / listings with Google Adwords / Analytics, a result of around 2 searches a month in the UK would show that they need to alter their keywords drastically. Analysing keywords is not a 'black art'. You can do it yourself by creating a free Google Adwords account and having a bit of time. No real need to pay loads to a 'professional'.

Depending on which Amazon 'Help Page' you read, images of 500 px should be enough which the OP generally had, but read another page and you will see that 600, 1280 or higher is required. Go for 1600 is my advice. You can then use the same image for eBay who ask for a minimum of 1600 on one side.

The OP is charging £4.48 delivery for their items, which I personally consider extortionate based on the product, especially with delivery anticipated in 15 days. Pretty poor for a UK seller with UK stock selling to a UK customer (delivery based on Amazon checkout). Advised the OP to include 'FREE DELIVERY' at a better speed, or even ship their goods to Amazon (for FBA) and let Amazon dispatch the goods for the OPs website orders as well. FBA may also help with Amazon search result ranking.

Pricing is also an issue to consider with the OPs prices way more than similar products (nearly double other similar offerings). If you can not compete, even closely, on price then do not bother with Amazon.

Feedback on the OPs account was around 83% based on previous sales. There was no feedback for the account in the last year, but this may still have an adverse effect on Amazon ranking. Amazon expect the highest levels of customer service and will give you more than just a slap on the wrist if you do not deliver.

Multiple accounts on Amazon are a very big no no. The OP appears to have created a new account selling similar items under the same brand name, albeit with different listings. The big give away is the company logo which is the same for both accounts. If Amazon even suspect you of having multiple seller accounts without permission, the chances are you will have all accounts blocked permanently with little or no chance of getting them reinstated, Do not do it !

Amazon is not that hard a platform to sell on, if you obey the rules.
forum
15 Dec 2016
@Bigian13

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback, i really appreciate the time you spent in putting up this useful information.

The sales and feedback you saw on the personal account were items inherited free from a friend who used to run a market stall and was about to bin these items when he relocated abroad. Hence why there hasn’t been any sale made from the account for a long-while.

I registered with HMRC when I started this business and also spoke to Amazon seller support who advised me to open a selling account for the product.

However, the selling account have been active for more than 6 months without a single sale, hence I thought of listing some of the items on the personal account because of the feedback it has already generated, to see if it will help with sales.

My idea was that if I can get sales from the personal account, then, I will discuss with seller support to convert it to full business selling account, however so far that hasn’t worked.

Maybe i'm wrong; but I discovered that I can’t edit the shipping cost and delivery timescale probably because the listing is on personal account.

On pricing, I will use” baked beans” as example to explain this, in a supermarket, you will see Heinz, Supermarket branded and supermarket white label baked beans, all these have different prices because of quality.

The listing on the ASIN is top quality spec. obviously high quality items will command premium price.

This is the reason for high price and also why I added the Title keyword which you suggested that I remove.

Once again, thank you so much for your help.
Bigian13
22 Dec 2016
@forum

Not just to @forum, but to the many other sellers on here. These days it appears that buyers are not bothered so much about brand names and quality, but about price and delivery. It also appears, after recent tests, that they are not too bothered about feedback either.

With the many guarantees that selling platforms offer, is it worth a punt for the buyer to purchase a product at 50% lower than from other sellers offering a similar product in the knowledge that if it didn't work / perform etc you could always make a claim and probably get your money back !

Sellware
Cloud Commerce Pro
xSellco 2
2nd Office