Why Do I Hate ' White Papers' ?

Poster
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,207
Why Do I Hate ' White Papers' ?
28 Dec 2016
My spam filters are set so that any email with 'White Paper' in the title or text is sent to a specific folder, and every year I have a glance through before deleting them.

This year was full of the usual rubbish. Classic snippets included 'sell your products lower than the competition' and 'sell products that your competitors don't stock yet'. Sound advice, but hopefully glaringly obvious !

The thing is, the people that are handing out this advice are, according to their profiles, professionals in the ecommerce world. However how professional are they ?

A study of 11938 emails from these 'professionals' revealed that 57% had never actually sold a product online (as a business trader) and 74% basically reposted / retweeted other information without checking the validity of the information. Only 40% of respondents actually admitted being directly involved with selling online.

The majority of these people (82%) used advertising links and / or their own course / sales marketing to supplement their income.

The results are not just provided by me, but by a large group of like minded professionals who do not provide 'white papers'. Senders of the original emails were questioned by email and by chat where available. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn profiles were also questioned as well as business reports that were available.

With the internet being the 'go to' place for any question. who should you believe and who are the experts ?

[Last edited: 28 Dec 2016]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Herts, England - Not specified -
Andy
Kudos: 12,509
Re: Why Do I Hate ' White Papers' ?
28 Dec 2016
Thanks Ian.

Any URL with more information about this study?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,207
Re: Why Do I Hate ' White Papers' ?
7 Jan 2017
@Andy

No URL at the moment, but I may do a 'white paper' and email it to everybody in the world whether they want it or not (and not provide an 'unsubscribe link'). I shall make sure that I do not credit the original suppliers of the information in any way and also ensure that the adverts and links (mostly to my own products and services) take up more screen space than the actual information.

I shall also ensure that certain pages / sites require the downloading of a 'special' font that obviously your anti virus will incorrectly detect as a virus / malware so that you can download it and allow me to get your log in details to every site that you visit !! (Obviously just so that I can check your PayPal details / credentials.)

Some of these 'White Papers' can be informative, but when you see the same thing several times with no credit to the original writer, they are more than a bit annoying.

First one of 2017 wished me a 'Heppy New Yeer' telling me to find a new product this year that nobody else will sell. It then asked me to click a link to this years 'hot products' (all Chinese suppliers) ! So how many others has this gone out to ? Are you sure I will be the only one selling it ?

The second basically told me to tell my suppliers that they should give me a discount on my orders or I will go elsewhere. As there is only one worldwide supplier for the majority of our products, I doubt that will work !!!

The problem is not necessarily with 'white papers', but with our belief that everything that we see on the internet is original and the truth. It is there in front of us, with just a touch of our screens, and a lot of us believe it with no questions asked.

I have no problem with genuine, original and informative 'white papers' (although few and far between) that when they do copy and paste another site, they give credit. For example my posting on eBay against Amazon fraud went worldwide and in the whole I was credited with the info and so was this forum, but when people blatantly copy and paste others work as if it were there own, or they state the so bleeding obvious that if it is news to you, then you shouldn't be in ecommerce !!!!
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here

ManageByStats
Volo
StoreFeeder
xSellco 1