best ebay auction research program

Poster
pearcy
Kudos: 30
best ebay auction research program
23 Feb 2008
Hi I am from Australia and I wondered if someone could recommend the best ebay auction research program I could use. I have had a look at Terapeak but thats about all Thanks a lot

pearcy
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,619
Re: best ebay auction research program
24 Feb 2008
Hi pearcy, and welcome

These are your choices: eBay.com.au Market Research.

Your only choice for official eBay market data is Terapeak (discounting eBay's own Marketplace Research, which I found to be poor).

There is also AuctionIntelligence, which you can use to build your own database of closed auctions, so it will take some time until you can do some truly useful research.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Australia Australia
pearcy
24 Feb 2008
Thanks Andy so I guess I will try Terapeak then.
United States United States
Seller1
Kudos: 385
25 Feb 2008
Terapeak is the best. But, remember that using it is an art itself. Don't get too specific with your searches on there. Keep it general and put yourself in the place of the consumer. How would you find the product?
Australia Australia
pearcy
25 Feb 2008
Hi and Thanks a lot for your reply. I have Terapeak now and yes I am finding it a little daughting. Do you or anyone have a good step by step process I could use just to get started. Thanks again
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,619
25 Feb 2008
Have you come across their Help page, which has links to video tutorials, workshops etc:

www.terapeak.com/learn/
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Australia Australia
pearcy
25 Feb 2008
Thanks Andy I will have a look.
United States United States
Seller1
Kudos: 385
27 Feb 2008
I'll give you a some tips.

Most importantly, think of yourself as the customer/consumer. How would you find your product. Generally, I think shoppers are looking for general products and use general words. Unless, you're in the business of specific products.

With Terapeak, it's easy to get wrapped up in the percentages, keywords, categories, etc. Before you know it, you've narrowed down your options too much. I would stick with the very general, popular terms.

For example, on t-shirts. The most popular words are going to be "shirt," "t," and "SIZE." But, you can get lost in the "vintage," "tight-fit," and further down the rabbit hole of keywords. Live by the KISS theory: Keep it simple stupid.

Also, a trick- You can use Terapeak to search for the top sellers. What are they doing?

Keep in mind that Terapeak gives you the sell-through percentage rate. I see "Top Sellers" that actually only sell 18% of their auctions. Doing the math, I can see they aren't making much money at all.

So, be aware of what all the Terapeak data means. In the real-world, computers and data don't do jack if you don't understand it. And, most importantly, you have to understand then what to do with it.

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister