comprehensive management program

Poster
estreetb
Kudos: 15
comprehensive management program
27 Feb 2008
hi all

I have been selling on eBay's UK site on and off for the last two years and built up a feedback of around 2500. During that time, I used no software and just kept track of finances through an excel spreadsheet. I have recently decided that I want to take it more seriously, but before I do, I felt it would be good to have a comprehensive automated system in place that offers management, research, accounting and marketing solutions. I am prepared to spend what it takes to get the best solution. Other than reading a number of posts on this website, I have no knowledge of the software programs on offer and so would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the following questions:

1) Is there one program that could offer comprehensive management, research, accounting and marketing solutions or would I have to go to different companies for each of these?

2) ESeller Pro, Laris, AuctionSage and AuctionSplash seem to have had good reviews. Is one more comprehensive than the others?

3) Would I need to purchase an accounting program like Sage or do one of the above have their own accounting software?

4) Even if one of the above programs has research tools, would it still be useful to use Terapeak and/or Auction Intelligence or do they all provide similar services?

5) Would I need to learn HTML to create a brand for my listings or do these software programs help you with that?

Again, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

thanks

Jack
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,622
Re: comprehensive management program
10 Mar 2008
Hi Jack, I hope this is helpful...

1) Management and marketing you can get together. Research is usually separate. For accounting you would normally have a dedicated package, but integration with your auction management package is possible.

2) AuctionSage and AuctionSplash are free or inexpensive products that don't try to be comprehensive. eSellerPro and Laris are at the high-end of the market and have a rich set of features.

3) If you are running a business with a lot of transactions it would be difficult to manage without an accounts package.

4) Research is a specialized service, and expensive to provide, so you won't normally get it from the same people who provide your auction management solution.

5) Unless you are a designer, I wouldn't recommend you do this yourself. You might find that your auction management provider can do this for you or point you in the right direction.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Seller1
Kudos: 385
18 Mar 2008
Welcome to forming an ecommerce business! It sounds like you have a lot going on. I highly recommend you set yourself up as a small business and treat it just like any other business= accounting software, dedicated programs and computers, etc.

The only difference is that you'll need a few extra things (programs) to link each element together. The problem you are running into, is that Ecommerce is such a new field, that no one company has really linked everything up perfectly. There will be no "all-in" one solution. You will need to combine several programs together. Although, I will note that I have seen strides being made in the past year.

Ultimately, what programs that you will need will depend on what kind of products you sell, where you are located, what kind of buyers you have (marketing), and most importantly, how you prefer running your business. There are so many different factors involved with this that it's hard to say right off the bat what's best.

What's even more difficult is that you're probably super confused by all the products and what the sales people promise they can do. Plus, all us sellers and buyers have our own opinions!

I'll give you some quick biased opinions if you like. Although, I think I do a pretty good job. : ) ben@thompkinsentertainment.com.

[Last edited: 18 Mar 2008]
Supplier
SellerVantage
Kudos: 60
23 Apr 2008
Jack, here are some pointers about AuctionSound. It seems we have been overlooked here.

1) Is there one program that could offer comprehensive management, research, accounting and marketing solutions or would I have to go to different companies for each of these? AuctionSound exports financials to QuickBooks and also has Terapeak built in.We also offer custom template design to help brand your listings.

2) ESeller Pro, Laris, AuctionSage and AuctionSplash seem to have had good reviews. Is one more comprehensive than the others?Better reviews than AuctionSound?

3) Would I need to purchase an accounting program like Sage or do one of the above have their own accounting software? AuctionSound provides a P&L that shows all income and expenses for sales and consignment payouts.

4) Even if one of the above programs has research tools, would it still be useful to use Terapeak and/or Auction Intelligence or do they all provide similar services? Built In.

5) Would I need to learn HTML to create a brand for my listings or do these software programs help you with that? Once we design your custom template, or you can use one of our professional style templates, you simply add text descriptions to your listings.

www.auctionsound.com
Brett Rush
Product Manager
www.sellervantage.com
866-760-9418
Email: support@sellervantage.com
Ady
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ady
Kudos: 226
23 Apr 2008
I was always under the impression that AuctionSound was geared firmly towards the consignment side of things - I did actually look fully through your website whilst trying to decide on a management system and this is the conclusion I drew.

I did leave a message on your live help system and also emailed separately but didn't receive a reply to either - asking if it is possible to use your system if the consignment tools were not needed.
Supplier
SellerVantage
Kudos: 60
23 Apr 2008
AuctionSound has its roots in the consignment business but we are transforming our platform to an inventory / PowerSeller tool this first half of the year. It is a great tool even now for those who are not consignment based. Tomorrow we launch a new set of auction templates geared towards professional sellers with inventory.
Brett Rush
Product Manager
www.sellervantage.com
866-760-9418
Email: support@sellervantage.com

Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder
World First