Shopify newbie needs a little advice with apps

Poster
ninawurst1
Kudos: 37
Shopify newbie needs a little advice with apps
17 Mar 2017
Started my own store recently and now looking for some apps to enhance it. Of course started from digging through a ton of "Top *any number here* apps for your super-duper Shopify store" lists on Google.
There are some decent lists like this one:
easyerp.com/blog/50-best-shopify-apps/
But most of them look like a sheer ad, so I, frankly, doubt their relevance and transparency (and aforementioned too, as it is a blog of some ERP).
Anyway, my question is about some proper inventory and automated invoices creation apps. Could you please suggest some and share some experience about handling product variants.
Thailand Thailand
Rock Paper Copy
Re: Shopify newbie needs a little advice with apps
20 Mar 2017
@ninawurst1 Hi consider browsing Shopify app store and simply select the apps within the category you're interested in, and then sort the apps by the score number. Pick 1-2, start with free ones, if you like them, stick to them, if not move on. That's how I usually do my apps research
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,207
22 Mar 2017
@ninawurst1

Shopify apps can be a minefield. Find ones that have good reviews and / or offer a free trial of 14 days or more. This gives you time to honestly evaluate them yourself without a huge financial commitment, just your time to implement them. (Shopify have their own free app for invoice creation.)

If you are selling on Shopify and other channels, it may be worth a look at using some inventory management software such as Linnworks that keep your inventory updated and can produce invoices.

What do you need to know about product variants ?
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Ukraine Ukraine
ninawurst1
28 Mar 2017
@Bigian13 Thanks for the advice. I`ll have a look at it.
About variants: I`d like to get some advice on how you handle variants on Shopify and what apps do you use for that.
Ukraine Ukraine
ninawurst1
28 Mar 2017
@Rock Paper Copy
Pretty obvious answer, but thanks anyway! =)
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,207
30 Mar 2017
@ninawurst1

You do not need an app to show variants on Shopify, although it is limited to a maximum of three options (for example - Size, Colour, Style) and 100 combinations per listing.

On the product page you simply click 'Add Variant', enter the description ie 'Colour' or 'Size' and then enter the options.

Images for variants are either assigned by linking them on the product page (a couple of clicks), or some templates require the Alt Image tag to be the same as the variant name, which is not as complicated as it sounds and takes a couple of seconds to do.

You can have different images, prices, weights, SKUs and barcodes for each variant.

[Last edited: 30 Mar 2017]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United Kingdom United Kingdom
abbbrian
Kudos: 20
21 Apr 2017
@ninawurst1

I suggest you have a look at these to start with, Nina:

Quaderno - quaderno.io/features/checkout/
Quickbooks or Xero, which integrate with Quaderno - search on the App Store - apps.shopify.com/ - both have 30 day trials, I believe.
Auto Currency Switcher - apps.shopify.com/auto-currency-switcher

Obviously, there will be other apps that will be useful, but getting accounting done manually will be a major headache. These will save you a lot of time and Quaderno will keep you right on when to charge taxes. Auto Currency Switcher will possibly save you sales, because people may leave your site if goods are in a foreign currency. Use the auto version.

Regards,

Amazowl
RepricerExpress
ManageByStats
Volo