Which ecommerce platform is suitable for a small store?

Poster
oliverusselldev
Kudos: 20
Which ecommerce platform is suitable for a small store?
17 May 2017
I am an ecommerce store to sell apparel items. To start with, I will have 200 SKUs. Right now, I have two options: WooCommerce and Magento. I am more concerned about performance, features and customization. WooCommerce is easy to use and running cost is not really that high since it is not really resource intensive. However, I have heard it may have some performance issues. Magento, on the other hand, has great performance, but I have heard it has high server requirement, which could mean more operation cost. So, there must be a trade-off, which is why I am confused which platform should I go with. Can you guys share your experience with these platform?
Supplier
United States United States
FeedStation
Kudos: 86
Re: Which ecommerce platform is suitable for a small store?
17 May 2017
@oliverusselldev

Disclaimer: FeedStation (www.feedstation.net) integrates with Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento and WooCommerce. What follows is an unsolicited, unpaid endorsement of what we feel are the best shopping cart solutions on the market today...

The best, most accessible platforms for most small stores today are Shopify and BigCommerce. Both are nearly infinitely flexible - from theming tools, to tag-based taxonomies, to extending via proxy apps, etc.

When you go with WooCommerce, you may find yourself locked in to whatever plugins your Wordpress site is using. What does this mean? You may not be able to apply security updates, your plugins may not support the latest platform version, or the plugins you have may get abandoned by their developers. This doesn't always happen, but it is a risk you should consider.

Magento is complete overkill for most shops today. It requires more hardware and technical resources. You'll likely need to hire someone to develop modules if you want to do anything slightly custom. The Enterprise edition is quite expensive. The Community edition is free. You may run into issues trying to share modules across editions.

Operational costs on Shopify and BigCommerce are comparable, and very low compared to other solutions. We've seen storefronts with complex tagging systems and many hundreds of thousands of SKUs on both platforms. They were as fast, responsive, and cost-effective as stores with 10 SKUs.

You really can't go wrong with Shopify or BigCommerce. And you won't break the bank in the process!

[Last edited: 17 May 2017]
Herts, England - Not specified -
Andy
Kudos: 12,249
25 May 2017
Please, no posts here from people recommending their own services or linking to their own sites.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
simonthepieman
Kudos: 197
2 Jun 2017
@oliverusselldev

go for magento - more flexibility
Supplier
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 634
5 Jun 2017
@oliverusselldev

Hi, Shopify or Woocommerce may be best. They are both quicker to start.
Both of them perform well.

This is one example www.jpstores.co.uk/ of a shopify store that you may want to look at.
DaytodayeBay. UK based one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider. T: +44(0) 29 2236 2596
Supplier
Lancaster United Kingdom
Cloud Commerce Pro
Kudos: 111
8 Jun 2017
@oliverusselldev

If you don’t have the internal knowledge and resource, or the budget to use a developer (agency) to manage a website effectively. Then as @FeedStation has mentioned, it is better to stay away from Magento and Woocommerce.

Which, really does leave Big Commerce and Shopify. From my experience, I would recommend Shopify. Purely on the basis that, as you will need to promote your products, one of the best channels will be Google Shopping.

Unfortunately, BigCommerce has a major flaw in that it does not export variations when using its own feed generator. You would need to pay for another feed service to handle this for you.

Hope this helps.

Sellbrite
Volo
ManageByStats
StoreFeeder