Best practices for uploading and managing inventory online

Poster
TreatYoursTruly
Kudos: 34
Best practices for uploading and managing inventory online
20 Sep 2017
Hi,

I am looking to find a consultant who can setup a system to make uploading inventory easier and can consult about shipping prices and companies etc. (from UK). My site is using BigCommerce. Does anyone know of anyone please?

Nikki
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,095
Re: Best practices for uploading and managing inventory onli
22 Sep 2017
@TreatYoursTruly

If this is your website then you have two choices really with uploading products. The first is to sit there and manually enter product details and images into the BC back end, the second is to enter all the products into a CSV file and then upload them to the website (BC has a sample template available to help you). To be honest, I prefer the first option. Either way, depending on the number of products and the amount of detail you put into your products, it is a boring and time consuming job. Get it right the first time though and it can be very rewarding. A word of advice, make sure the tone of your descriptions matches the products / style of your website. An extreme example would be ' A great product for all the dead people out there...' for a monumental stone mason !!!!

By consult about shipping prices and companies etc do you mean get a good price for your shipping requirements ? This all depends on the size and weight of your parcels, type of parcels (are they fragile ?), quantity of parcels per day, delivery destination (UK / Europe / ROW), delivery speed etc.

Based on the work I do for several companies this is a rough guide to what some of them pay for UK delivery services. Obviously prices vary based on volume etc:
UKMail 0 - 1 Kg, Next Day, £3.05
Royal Mail 0 - 2 Kg (average weight 1 Kg), 3 - 5 day, £2.15
Royal Mail 0 - 20 Kg (average weight 1 Kg) 1 - 2 day, £2.70
MyHermes 0 - 2 Kg, 3 - 5 day, £2.10
DPD 0 - 30 Kg, Next Day, £4.98

There are also sites such as Parcels2Go and Parcel Monkey that can often get you good prices, or you can try companies such as ParcelHub when volumes increase.

If you need any more help or advice, just come back here and we will see what we can do, don't waste your money on consultants !!
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TreatYoursTruly
Kudos: 34
22 Sep 2017
@Bigian13 Wow. Thank you. That is my site. 'Getting it right first time' is the bit I was concerned about. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and do it. What about packaging suppliers? Looking for biodegardable/recycled packaging (it fits my brand). Most products are body care and skin care, so nothing large like TV's or particularly heavy. Thanks so much for shipping advice too!
Btw, I am a marketer and web analyst by day, so if anyone needs questions like that answered, I'm happy to help. I'm so pleased somebody responded with a helpful 'free' answer. This is the first forum this has happened on!

Nikki
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 3,095
27 Sep 2017
@TreatYoursTruly

Nikki, you are more than welcome, and hopefully the advice was of use.

Personal preference (and based on a too many years of experience), but when people are starting out with a new website, I always advise them to list a few products in each category and then launch the site rather than list everything and then launch it. That way you can get friends, family, Google and Bing to take a look at your site and see if there are any changes you should make before you get too far down the line.

With regards to packaging, it may seem obvious but is often overlooked, try to limit the number of packaging items you really need. I once went to one company that had nearly 40 different boxes, bags chips and paper which we got down to 11 different types. Less stock = less cost. Take into account any obvious upsells that may change your packaging sizes / requirements as well. Also try to conform with the standard sizes such as 'large letter', 'small parcel', 'medium parcel' etc. Rajapack are a company that I have had dealings with in the past and are usually very happy to send out free samples. They are not the cheapest, but have large stocks that will allow you to reorder JIT.

One thing to be aware of is that if any of your products are classed by the couriers as being 'liquid' (which can include gels) then they may not be covered on their insurance in case of damage. Some will not carry liquids at all. Something that you should check when you start shopping around for couriers.

The only other thing to add is good luck with your venture, and make sure you come back soon and let us know how you are getting on.

[Last edited: 27 Sep 2017]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here

xSellco 2
2nd Office
Amazowl
Volo