Holy Grail: ecommerce, ebay, authorize.net, ups shipping, et

Poster
United States United States
mm1
Kudos: 25
Holy Grail: ecommerce, ebay, authorize.net, ups shipping, et
21 Oct 2008
I've been on the hunt for a new ecommerce solution for quite some time now and just can't seem to find a good solution.

We are a manufacturer who has been in business for 10 yrs and are currently using a much bastardized version of Interchange and hate it.

What I need is the ability to not only have our own ecommerce site, but to also be able to push items to ebay and have it checkout seamlessly, process credit cards with authorize.net and do shipping, preferably without having to leave the software or copy/paste into Worldship.

This has been one big giant PITA that's failed on every front.

osCommerce/CRE seemed to be the right answer, until we actually did the implementation. For ebay auctions you have to go out of it to AuctionBlox and their rates are extremely high and the UPS integration is merely rate quoting.

Conversations with Zoovy finally broke down at the thousands and thousands of dollars they wanted for setup in addition to very high monthly fees and commissions. Seemed like it might do the job, but it was just way too expensive and a 'take it or leave it' attitude. That and forcing us to lose all html formatting to go to a primitive wiki format.

Tried 1&1, dismal failure. Horrid support and the software has so many holes it's completely unusable.

One of the reasons we need ebay is because we are a manufacturer and have accumulated all kinds of stuff in development that's good stuff, but we have no need for anymore. It's not trash, many of the items are high dollar items, but we don't need them and they are taking up valuable space. Need to convert these dust gathers into cash.

At this point, the economy has tanked business is in the ****per and we really need to at the very least get this ebay/seamless checkout/authorize.net working so I can get rid of all this stuff and put some $ in our bank account.

While I'd love to have a holy grail solution, I'll take an ebay solution which will let winning bidders checkout and use their credit card with our merchant account via authorize.

Seems like there is a lot of trashy software out there and wading thru them is painful. There's a few seemingly good solutions, but with extremely high prices they are out of the question.

Anyone have any suggestions that really work? Are low cost? Don't take forever to get working? Or a holy grail solution where we can migrate away from Interchange and solve all the problems in one fell swoop?
Supplier
Vendio_Crystal
Kudos: 113
Re: Holy Grail: ecommerce, ebay, authorize.net, ups shipping
22 Oct 2008
Hi,
I can help you. We offer all the items you ask for...

"What I need is the ability to not only have our own ecommerce site, but to also be able to push items to ebay and have it checkout seamlessly, process credit cards with authorize.net and do shipping, preferably without having to leave the software or copy/paste into Worldship."

Vendio Desktop works online or offline or both and is integrated with Worldship, Endicia, FedEx and Quickbooks, we offer an ecommerce store which is completely customizable and SEO optimized, Checkout is seamless and we support authorize. new and payflo pro. There is no need to copy into Worldship, its an export.

Further down you mentioned getting started. Our on-ramping is pretty easy, you can import csv, txt, delimited, etc. And we have a team who will walk you though getting started, importing, preferences and settings. There is not a lot of configuration..its more tweaking (for instance, you can build a store in a few minutes, but you might wish to spend time on creating text and messages and entering SEO terms and tweaking your design - that part is completely user specific.

I don't think that I missed anything that you were asking for, and I'd be more than happy to do an demo for you.

My email is crystal@corp.vendio.com - feel free to drop me a line.

Vendio_Crystal
Crystal Wells
Vendio Services, Inc
www.vendio.com
Blog: vendable.vendio.com/
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
22 Oct 2008

mm1 wrote:

osCommerce/CRE seemed to be the right answer, until we actually did the implementation. For ebay auctions you have to go out of it to AuctionBlox and their rates are extremely high and the UPS integration is merely rate quoting.
I just want to pick up something here - Auction Lister Pro is a free equivalent to AuctionBlox. By the way, AuctionBlox used to have very reasonable fees but have introduced a percentage fee as well as monthly fees - a hard pill to swallow for sellers with already low margins.

mm1 wrote:

While I'd love to have a holy grail solution, I'll take an ebay solution which will let winning bidders checkout and use their credit card with our merchant account via authorize.
Vendio_Crystal may correct me here, but the withdrawal of Checkout Redirect (rumoured for mid-2009) will mean sellers won't be able to use their own merchant account within the normal eBay checkout process.

[Last edited: 22 Oct 2008]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
Vendio_Crystal
22 Oct 2008
Hi Andy,

I know we've had a lot of discussion around this with eBay and internally. I did have to go up the food chain for this answer ..but in a nutshell (sans technical nitty gritty)

Crystal

The user will certainly be able to use Authorize.net and their own merchant account now as is throughout most of 2009 unchanged.

Some time in 2009, we expect some changes in the exact manner in which it is technically integrated, but accepting credit cards directly through their merchant account will always be an option.
Crystal Wells
Vendio Services, Inc
www.vendio.com
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
22 Oct 2008
Thanks Crystal,

Coincidentally, I just came across the same information on the eBay Developers Program blog.

eBay Developers Program Blog wrote:

To take advantage of integrating your Internet merchant account into eBay Checkout, you'll need to sign up for the Payflow online payment gateway. Normally online payment gateways charge a fee for processing your transactions, but we'll be waiving your fee for this service.

Sign-up opens in January 2009. You'll need to provide information from your Internet merchant account, so we know who should be handling your payments during checkout. You must complete sign up by end of March 2009.

From ebaydeveloper.typepad.com/dev/2008/10/processing-merc.html
That's important news!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
Vendio_Crystal
22 Oct 2008
Andy,

Yes, its is ..I keep up with the changes and whats new and whats upcoming seems to have turned into a full time job in the last months ..

I always pay attention to the developer blog and conferences...I find there is usually a wealth of info if you know where to look...You provide your readers some great resources ..so many kudos to you and your site..(I like it her a lot!!)
Crystal Wells
Vendio Services, Inc
www.vendio.com
mm1
mm1
Kudos: 25
23 Oct 2008
Hi Crystal, I sent you an email with my tel and some questions. I'll post them here to as others may find these questions and answers pertain to them as well.

1. What about hosting a vBulletin forum? I currently operate my own server at a hosting company. On it resides not only the estore but mail, image/file hosting and a vbulletin forum, in order to justify the move to one of your full blown packages I’d need to get rid of this server for cost reasons. How can you solve mail (Exchange/OpenExchange), file hosting and vbulletin hosting. For your entry level ebay solution to my problem this isn’t necessary, but to go full blown we would need to solve all of this as I we wouldn’t want to continue hosting our own server and have a complete service thru you.

2. How do you parse pages into URLs? Currently the product id is a part of the URL. This makes it very easy to create links and/or jump to another item, all I need is any item and change the item ID to change to the item’s page. One of the big downfalls with a company like Zoovy for example is that it’s all gibberish in the url. Makes admin more difficult and time consuming

3. Same question for images and product info (html?) Currently if we use the product’s ID as the image or html name we don’t need to do any additional work to get this to load. How do you handle this?

4. I’d like great detail on the UPS integration. Many companies claim UPS integration, but in the end all they deliver is rate quoting on the front end. I’d like to be able to ship items without having to resort to another application. I should be able to press one button thru the web interface and it will generate the UPS label. Another button and the invoice w/ the tracking # is mailed to the user.

5. Is there a branding free option? By this I mean do all my webpages/auctions have to have your company’s advertising on it?

6. Will I be able to use html for my product descriptions? We are a manufacturer and have very detailed descriptions. Here’s an example www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store/2020C.html

7. Is the ebay listing/checkout/feedback/communications process seamless?

8. Blocking of credit cards from non-USA addresses. We never got setup to process international credit cards…and don’t really want to either. When a customer gets to the point in checkout where they enter payment can we filter options based on address?

9. Software distribution. I’m working on a little RC Flight Log program (for remote control planes) which I’d like to release for $5/yr. Someone would buy it, then be sent a code which would allow it to be unlocked. Does your software have any ability to handle something like this?
Supplier
Vendio_Crystal
27 Oct 2008
Hi mm1,

I’ve answered these when we talked, but I’ll answer them inline here as well 

1. Yes, if you use Vendio Webhosting
2. This depends on how the hosts their Store. It can be on their website or ours
3. Product ID will appear and is searchable in your Image URLs
4. UPS Worldship is integrated into our Desktop (offline version). You can work offline, online or both. Export your data to WorldShip and print labels. Tracking number can be automatically sent to buyers .
5. Not yet. But I will keep you updated. Likely availability in the next 6 months.
6. Yes, stores are completely customizable.
7. Yes, eBay listing, checkout, feedback is completely seamless. Items from multiple-markets are displayed in one dashboard, using one inventory. There is no need to have different processes for different markets
8. We have the ability to turn AVS on or off for authorize.net. However, per our conversation, I think the error messages coming from Authorize.net are the issue and maybe you can get them to change their unclear messaging.
9. No, not at this point. It is on our to-do list, but no dates or anticipated release at this time.
Crystal Wells
Vendio Services, Inc
www.vendio.com

Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office