Sniping software recommendations please

Poster
blueberry
Kudos: 120
Sniping software recommendations please
8 Jan 2009
I have simple needs when it comes to sniping software - all of which were fulfilled by the basic version of Auction Sentry until its takeover. But the lack of updates, lack of support, lack of honesty...nope, I'm gone. AS has been uninstalled.

So I'm looking for a replacement. My needs are:
- works with ebay in the UK (and in UK currency)
- allows me to load auctions one at a time and from my "watching" list
- reliably places last-minute bids
- lets me see which bids were successful

The only feature of AS Deluxe that would have been useful to me was the ability to set up groups of auctions and bid on each auction within a group in turn until one was successful - but that wasn't a big enough deal to make me switch from a lifetime license for Basic to an annual subscription for Deluxe.

So is there anything out there that will do what I want? I'm willing to pay a little, but not a lot (I'm not a very heavy user).
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
Re: Sniping software recommendations please
12 Jan 2009
Hi blueberry

I would start by looking at the free desktop snipers JBidWatcher and Bid-O-Matic. The one feature I'm not sure they have is loading from your eBay watch list, but either should meet your other needs.

Ace Sniper Desktop Bidder has a very good reputation but it's $20 - $30.

If you are happy to use a web-based sniper then try Gixen.

I hope that helps, let me know how you get on!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
blueberry
12 Jan 2009
Thanks for the recommendations - I'm having a look at a couple of those now. Will let you know what I decide on.
Supplier
United States
myibay.com
Kudos: 229
12 Jan 2009
Hey blueberry,

I think my sniper (www.myibay.com) fits into your needs:
- Supports International eBay auctions (and all currencies).
- You can import items from Watching list.
- You can specify your own time for sniping (I usually recommend 6-10 seconds).
- You can set up an e-mail notifications with your status or check the status of your snipes in the past. Additionally, colored notifications will show you which auctions you won.
- Groups are supported as well.

It's free so you don't have to pay for it (donations are welcome, of course).
One form of donations is buying a Windows application which helps to manage your auctions and groups (although, it's not required to snipe).

The only major difference is that myibay.com is Web-based sniper, not PC-based.

[Last edited: 12 Jan 2009]
blueberry
12 Jan 2009
I think I'm going with Bid-O-Matic - it's not the prettiest GUI, but it shows me what I need to know, and it does what it does quickly and simply, staying out of my way in the system tray and taking up very little memory. It does indeed load from my watch-list; right now I can't think of anything I need that it doesn't handle. Thanks for your help.
Supplier
United States
myibay.com
Kudos: 229
13 Jan 2009
blueberry,
If you use PC-based sniper (although, my own personal preference is JBidWatcher for PC-based snipers), just make sure you keep your PC, Internet connection and your system clock in-sync and online ;-)
blueberry
13 Jan 2009

myibay.com wrote:

blueberry,
If you use PC-based sniper (although, my own personal preference is JBidWatcher for PC-based snipers), just make sure you keep your PC, Internet connection and your system clock in-sync and online ;-)
Yes - as I mentioned, I've been using Auction Sentry for a while, so I'm aware of the need to do this.

Thanks for your replies - it's just that my personal preference is desktop rather than web-based.
United States United States
psmker
Kudos: 18
22 Jan 2009
I use Gixen.com, with great success. There is a free version, and a cheap version for higher volume. You can set the timing down to 3 seconds. It is easy to use, and to reset if you change your mind on a bid. Good luck.

[Last edited by moderator: Corrected site address — 23 Jan 2009]
Supplier
Texas United States
GavelThief Auction Sniper
Kudos: 30
24 May 2009
Hi blueberry,

Give GavelThief a try. We were formerly an online auction sniping service until we discovered how insecure and inaccurate online auction sniping is by nature. Since then we've shifted our development over to the desktop PC platform.

Our software is currently still in the beta testing phase, and all users are allowed to test the software freely for at least a few more months. If you try GavelThief, just remember that the software is still in beta development and we are consistently releasing updates that implement new features.

Check out www.gavelthief.com/ for more info.

- Preston

Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco