Valentine’s day is the first major ecommerce event of the year, but do you know how it varies around the world? Here’s some facts that might surprise you:
- Nine million Americans buy Valentine’s gifts for their pets, generating £227m of sales.
- In Britain, flowers are more popular gift than chocolates – in the USA, it’s the other way around.
- In Finland it’s called Ystävänpäivä meaning “Friend’s Day”. It’s about celebrating friends rather than romantic partners.
- In Japan, a 1950s ad campaign started a trend for women to give chocolates on Valentine’s day. Giving the right amount of chocolate to each person is crucial.
- Singaporeans are the biggest spenders on Valentine’s Day, with 60% spending between $100 and $500 on gifts.
- In South Korean, women give men chocolate on February 14 and men give women a gift on March 14. Those who don’t get anything celebrate their loneliness by eating black noodles on Black Day, April 14th!
On that note, we’ve put together an infographic and free PDF download with Open to Export on the most important online shopping days – gift-giving holidays and sale events – around the world, and how to make the most of them in your business!
Download the 12 step guide to international e-commerce events here.
Want to use the infographic on your own site?
Just copy and paste the HTML code below: