CHOOSING THE RIGHT FIRST PRODUCT FOR AMAZON UK FBA ASAP.

Poster
venomquads
Kudos: 39
CHOOSING THE RIGHT FIRST PRODUCT FOR AMAZON UK FBA ASAP.
3 Apr 2019
HI,
I have given up the day job, going to sell on Amazon UK FBA.
Will be flying out to China tomorrow to see some factories.
I am looking at pet products mainly.
What I need to do is get the Amazon account set up quickly and efficiently and get everything rolling quickly to make sure it is going to be hassle-free.
I have also booked a trade show to show my new brand of product. It's not necessary to do this for Amazon I know but I felt I would get some fast feedback and learn more about what the customers want. Is it a good idea to get a video of the stand and the show and use it somehow to help future marketing?
It may look like I am doing things in the wrong order but I have to go to China during school holidays and also catch the pre-Xmas time for getting the product out into the market properly. May seem crazy to be talking about Xmas in April but 1 month to produce, 1 month to ship and 2 weeks either end port puts us closer to the Xmas and I hope to be well organized by then.
I guess my real question here is what type of pet product would you be looking at if you were here?
I have taken a bold step here and I am aware there is a long curve before profits start to feedback, I am hoping to shorten this as much as possible, this will only happen by choosing the right product. I hope someone out there is feeling helpful and can give me a little advice for my first brave step for the first product.

[Last edited: 3 Apr 2019]
China China
Kudos: 67
Re: CHOOSING THE RIGHT FIRST PRODUCT FOR AMAZON UK FBA ASAP.
4 Apr 2019
@venomquads Hello, are you planning to go to Canton Fair?
United Kingdom United Kingdom
venomquads
4 Apr 2019
@1490119348

is it worth going?
regards
terry
Herts, England - Not specified -
Andy
Kudos: 13,317
4 Apr 2019
Hi Terry,

I suggest you ask yourself the following:

1. Why pet products?
2. What does your research into the Amazon market tell you is a good product opportunity? Who are your competitors? What do customers want?
3. How can you validate or test your product idea(s) before placing a large order?

Rushing is a good way to lose your shirt, in any line of business.

There's a lot of information out there on this topic e.g. two recent articles that Manuel Becvar wrote for us:

www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/amazon-niche/
www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/amazon-product-development/
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
China China
4 Apr 2019
@venomquads

If you have few experience to source in China, I suggest going there. Then you know how to negotiate with suppliers, do manufacturing audit, etc. Actually here is Tomb-sweeping Day soon for three days holiday. May I add your skype to chat? my skype is john1326305
venomquads
4 Apr 2019
@Andy
HI Andy
I have the ability to make cloth items at the right price in China. pet products is a reasonable volume product line with some simplicity in cloth at the right price point.
Did you have something better in mind?
Regards
Terry
China China
4 Apr 2019
@venomquads

So you still don't get any orders from your final clients? It might be a risk. The initial marketing tends to be a little casual. It is better to get some samples from Chinese factories or from Canton Fair
venomquads
4 Apr 2019
@1490119348
I will obtain many samples on my trip to China.
I will be there tomorrow.
I have been to Canton Fair before it's huge and requires far more time than the show runs for to see the products, all the flights, hotels, and taxi hike the prices up far too much during the show time. Not only that the food is absolutely bloody awful at the show and there is little to choose from to eat for western people.
I am not saying it's not worth a visit but once in a lifetime was enough for me, my stomach cannot handle it twice!
Andy
4 Apr 2019

venomquads wrote:

I have the ability to make cloth items at the right price in China. pet products is a reasonable volume product line with some simplicity in cloth at the right price point.
Did you have something better in mind?
Regards
Terry
Amazon is absolutely swamped with products of almost every type, and pet products are a very popular area. Your products could have many well established competitors with lots of product reviews, big advertising budgets and maybe even dirty tricks to keep newcomers at bay. There might also be Chinese factories selling direct.

There are many research tools available as well as simply browsing the site to research the Amazon marketplace. Most sellers spend a lot of time researching the market to try and find an area where there is less competition, or at least competition that they have a chance against.
venomquads
4 Apr 2019
@Andy
HI Andy
thanks for the reality check, yes I fear you are right, trouble is school holidays are now so only chance I can get away to China at present.
What do you think I should look into as a good starting point?
you can email me directly if you like, we may be able to help each other. I did quite well on eBay before but Amazon UK is new to me.
venomquads@gmail.com
regards
Terry
Andy
4 Apr 2019

venomquads wrote:

What do you think I should look into as a good starting point?
In terms of products, sorry I have no idea. If anyone tells you out of the blue that they have a great product idea for Amazon, but they haven't actually done any research on the Amazon marketplace and/or a third-party research tool like Jungle Scout (there are many others as well) then you should probably run a mile.

If you are dead set on placing an order then the best I can think of is to get someone onto the market research right away so you can make some kind of informed decision.
China China
5 Apr 2019
@venomquads hahha
China China
13 Apr 2019
@venomquads Bro, how is your trip
Shenzhen China
Heidi
Kudos: 43
16 Apr 2019
There are millions of products on Canton Fair for buyers ref.
Wish you good luck
Shenzhen YSTONG international Logistics Co.,Ltd
Solutions of FBA global worth your attention
Supplier
Houston, TX United States
Outlier Technology Solutions
Kudos: 57
14 May 2019

Andy wrote:

Rushing is a good way to lose your shirt, in any line of business.
I totally agree with Andy and also I want to ask you something else: Why don't you start with selling books, wholesale items or doing arbitrage to have some experience first on Amazon.

These are relatively easier and a good starting point to learn the tricks of the Amazon. When you have enough experience on how to manage your account, solve your problems, getting support, doing FBA, repricing etc. you can try to create your own private label product. By this way, if you fail, you don't lose everything.

Most of our successful customers told us they followed this approach and they never stopped doing these. Most of them have their own products but they still do wholesale and arbitrage as well.

If you can create a strong account and a sustainable business by following these practices, you can even sell your account for 7 digit numbers in a few years and start from scratch again to do it one more time.
"Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
Making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."
-Charles Mingus

StoreFeeder
Sellware
StreetPricer