Amazon FBA - Newish Seller Seeking a Mentor / Advice

Poster
ccamisas
Kudos: 15
Amazon FBA - Newish Seller Seeking a Mentor / Advice
17 Jul 2019
Hi guys. First time posting on this site.

In the way of background, I've been selling on Amazon for about 6 months in my spare time while working a full time job as a technology consultant. I'm clear on the logistics of finding and launching an FBA product. I went the JumpSend/Viral Launch == Alibaba = Freightos route as I'm sure many did before me. My first manufacturing run was not exactly profitable, but it has picked up steam in the last month or two in terms of sales volume, and so I decided to place and additional order this month. Far and away, my main underestimation from a cost perspective, when comparing my financial projections to the actuals that have come in, was advertising (Amazon PPC only). This is what I've identified as the primary driver of my unprofitability thus far.

Anyways, I'm looking for advice/mentorship from a successful Amazon seller that has been down a similar path to mine. Maybe you've even been able to quit your job as a result of your success (that's my real goal in this, let's be honest). Maybe you've just been able to turn a profit - I'd love to hear from you, too. Really - I'll take advice from anybody who thinks they have something to offer.

Specifically, I'm hoping for help in the following areas:

What is the best strategy for receiving product reviews? I have implemented several email campaigns soliciting reviews, but my review rate is approximately 4% of orders.

What are the best overarching strategies for Amazon PPC advertising? I ran an automatic campaign for some time, which I analyzed and revised down to a Manual campaign, using only the best keywords. However, my ACOS is consistently higher than I need it to be (about 50-60% on average, whereas for my products - I need 30%).

In your experience, are any other marketing endeavors particularly fruitful? For example, I've been considering setting up a landing/squeeze page and advertising for it using Google Ads, and building a customer list that way. Is that worth my time?

Any other recommendations for a new Amazon seller?

Thanks to all in advance!
Supplier
Marietta United States
Sellers Suite
Kudos: 74
Re: Amazon FBA - Newish Seller Seeking a Mentor / Advice
18 Jul 2019
Hey @ccamisas!

We offer 1-on-1 consulting to Amazon sellers who subscribe to our Pro Package 2k or greater. This is a really new service for us, but when you purchase the 2k package we offer one 30 minute phone call a month and 8 detailed Q&As via email or chat.

We're eventually going to turn this into it's own service, but if you subscribe now you'll get to use our software tools too - which is a pretty sweet deal.

If this is something you're interested in you can check us out here or you can schedule a time to talk to someone here.
Alex Flores
@Seller's Suite
Supplier
Dublin, London, Frankfurt, NYC Ireland
xSellco
Kudos: 79
Re: Amazon FBA - Newish Seller Seeking a Mentor / Advice
23 Jul 2019
Hey @ccamisas,

What an exciting time for you. You are absolutely correct, you really need to have a review strategy in place. Reputation will influence the order in which your products are listed, like eBay or Amazon seller ratings.

Here are some best practices that can impact whether a customer chooses to respond to your request.
1. Understand your customers and categorize them if possible.
2. Keep it snappy - max 3 sentences with a CTA, do some A/B testing to see what works best.
3. Use a suitable subject line and a simple design
4. Have a set goal - Are you looking to improve product quality, shipping, website navigation etc?
5. Ask honestly and don't pressurize.
6. Timing is everything - If a customer has had a particularly bad episode with your online store, be tactical and avoid contacting them immediately.
7. You should also take a look at Feedback software that can automate intelligent feedback requests. This will save you time and effort.
You can read the full blog post here

Hope this helps.

[Last edited: 23 Jul 2019]

StoreFeeder
Sellware
StreetPricer