Ask The Expert
Closed

Poster
John W Hayes
Kudos: 238
Re: Q&A on Ecommerce Marketing: SEO, Email, Social
25 Feb 2015

SellerExpress wrote:

I have heard of a few companies recently saying that they have dropped either Twitter or Facebook totally to focus on quality content on their blog to drive meaningful traffic to their site, simply because those channels weren't adding any value for them or their customers.

How do you feel about a company identifying the channel that works best for them and throwing more resources at that—a case of finding what works, rinsing and repeating? Do you think companies are afraid to leave Twitter and Facebook because 'everyone else is doing it' and that more should act on what they're seeing works?
Hi Seamus - good to hear from you.

Content always comes first and you are right to focus on your blog. However, Twitter is important for a number of reasons:

• It's a great way of distributing content (beyond the reach of your blog).
  • It's a great way of fielding customer service issues (preventing churn)
  • It's a valuable lead generation resource (with conversations about your and your competitors' brands)
  • It can help you identify brand ambassadors and high profile influencers
  • It works well with email marketing (engage people with Twitter, sell to them via email)

• I'm also very pro LinkedIn (Particularly LinkedIn Groups and Pulse).

Facebook - I could live without. However a B2C marketer would probably think differently.

The most important thing is that you identify the main channels your clients and potential clients use and focus on them (don't spread yourself too thin).
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    John W Hayes
    25 Feb 2015

Jax Music Supply wrote:

@John - Thanks for doing this. I'm curious if supplemental marketing efforts, such as PPC ads things like Google Product Listing Ads have any impact on SEO? Do they enhance it if you are participating or is all of it content marketing?
    Google will claim that paid search, etc. does not impact on SEO - however, I believe anything you can do to get into bed with Google will benefit your visibility.

This also means getting involved with Google+ and YouTube.

It's all about finding balance and understanding your costs against margins, repeat sales, etc..

Paid search can be very expensive and should not be attempted without employing more cost effective retention strategies like email marketing. I am very fond of stating that email is the profitable component of email.

Before you invest a penny (or cent) in paid search, comparison shopping (or any other form of marketing) make sure your landing pages are optimised for conversion and this will increasingly mean having a mobile friendly site.
    Rome Italy
    Cosimo Errede
    Kudos: 39
    25 Feb 2015
    @John W Hayes

Thank you very much, I'm going to explore it
    London United Kingdom
    trevorginn
    Kudos: 41
    Prioritising marketing channels
    26 Feb 2015
    If you were a marketplace only seller, looking to diversity into website selling, what would be your priority list in terms of marketing channels (presuming you already have a super duper website).
    Trevor Ginn
    Hello Baby
    www.hellobabydirect.co.uk
    John W Hayes
    26 Feb 2015
    @trevorginn

Hi Trevor,

I would set-up the following channels in this order:

• Corporate Blog: Particularly useful in driving traffic for niche retail verticals.
  • Email Marketing:Check out this post on Tamebay re. how eBay and Amazon sellers can best use email marketing - tamebay.com/2013/08/guest-post...s-for-marketplace-sellers.html
  • Social Media: Once you have content (from your blog) and a sales tool (email marketing) in place, you should be in good shape to start socializing your brand.

• Anything you would add/remove?

Cheers

John
    Midwest United States
    Indigo
    Kudos: 40
    26 Feb 2015
    Hello John,

I notice you are very big on email marketing as a way of driving sales activity. My company has taken an unusual approach in that we only send one or two general emails per month to our customer base, under the belief that less is more and people will be more likely to read occasional news from us. I took this position because of the vast amount of daily/weekly email I receive from places I have purchased from. I find myself deleting, ignoring, and unsubscribing when this happens.However, my hypothesis may be untrue.

Can you expand on what you believe makes a really effective email marketing program in more detail including frequency of messages, importance of subject lines, etc?
    John W Hayes
    26 Feb 2015
    @Indigo

I'm very big on email for a number of reasons (beyond the fact I work for an email marketing company - iContact).

Despite its age (its been around for around 37 years) - email marketing is still the #1 most efficient form of marketing available to marketers (online or offline) in terms of ROI. This is because it is a retention marketing strategy (as opposed to a acquisition marketing strategy) and as anyone who has been in business for any length of time will tell you it is much easier to make money from an existing client than win a new one. With this is mind, I consider email marketing to be the profitable component of expensive retention strategies like paid search.

Email's success is built on the pillars of permission, relevancy and timing. It's all about getting the right message to the right person at the right time (anything else will be deleted, ignored or considered spammy). This means sending more email to fewer people with each send.

General email marketing communications (like the monthly newsletter) are NOT the most efficient use of email and too easily ignored. Personally, I'm of the opinion that most newsletters are an afterthought and have little value.

Retailers who find success via email use it everyday (carefully segmenting their lists and tailoring their messages to their customers needs) so as not to overwhelm their inboxes and ensure relevancy.

Hope this helps.

Let me know your thoughts.

John
    Midwest United States
    Indigo
    Kudos: 40
    26 Feb 2015
    @John W Hayes

Thank you for that succinct answer. Yes, I do have my list segmented, but have not used it that way very much. I totally understand what you are saying and will utilize it in that manner. Also checking out your e-book on this subject today.
    Supplier
    Fort Lauderdale United States
    lgrosman
    Kudos: 57
    26 Feb 2015
    Hello John,

What's a good resource for email optimisation strategies? What are the top social media strategies in the ecommerce world?

Thank you,

Lin
    Lin Grosman
    Director of Marketing
    GoDataFeed
    866-340-6619 x404
    www.godatafeed.com
    Your Products. Everywhere.
    John W Hayes
    26 Feb 2015
    @Indigo

Thanks - hope you enjoy the book and let me know if you have any questions.

John
    John W Hayes
    26 Feb 2015

lgrosman wrote:

What's a good resource for email optimisation strategies? What are the top social media strategies in the ecommerce world?
    The iContact Email Marketing Blog (which I write for) is a great resource for email marketing inspiration - www.icontact.com/blog

You might want to also check out my book: A Crash Course in Email Marketing for Small and Medium-sized Businesses - amzn.to/1wrIfgK (sorry for the rather blatant plug).

In terms of priorities for email I would look at the following (in no particular order)

- Mobile Friendly (email and site)
    - List Segmentation (increasing relevancy)
    - Testing (test everything - text vs html, call-to-actions, subject line, timing, etc.)

Re. social - that's a really big question.

Personally - I would focus on listening and engagement (don't use as a broadcast tool). Combine this with email and you'll be able to bait the water and hook the fish.

Make sense?

John
    Garland, Texas United States
    Retail Web Diva
    Kudos: 150
    26 Feb 2015
    Hi, I sell on Amazon, eBay and Rakuten. I also have a website that is redirected to Amazon. I don't do a lot of marketing. However, I do post my listings on Twitter and Pinterest.

I am 74 and I don't want to spend more time than I have to on the computer. That's the reason I don't do more social marketing. But I believe, rightly or wrongly, that Twitter and Pinterest are worth my effort. I would like your opinion.

Thanks,
    Lawanna Bean
    Pepper Spray Etc. Store
    goo.gl/9yyDIS (Amazon store front)
    www.peppersprayetcstore.com
    eBay ID runningwater1
    Lawanna Bean
    John W Hayes
    26 Feb 2015
    @Retail Web Diva

Your quite right not to want to spend too much time in front of a computer.

Do you know if your social media posts are being shared and are converting to sales?

If so - keep it up. If not - you might need to optimize.

Personally - I would take the time to schedule posts a few days at a time and then engage with people as and when the opportunity arises via a mobile device. Use your down time to do this and don't be a slave to that computer.
    Supplier
    chris@sellerexpress.com United Kingdom
    SellerExpress
    Kudos: 250
    27 Feb 2015
    Hi John,

Some great discussions going on this week.

I was wondering if you have you any suggestions how we can adapt our marketing so it is targeted more toward enterprise level sellers? Essentially, we are looking for better ways we can get in touch with the decision makers of larger organisations.

What are the key differences when targeting enterprise level sellers as opposed to a mass market approach?

Thanks,

Chris
    SellerExpress
    SellerExpress helps you manage your inventory,
    sales, pricing and orders on eBay, Amazon,
    Rakuten and webstores.
    Demo available
    www.sellerexpress.com
    Supplier
    Derry United Kingdom
    repricerexpress
    Kudos: 185
    27 Feb 2015
    Hi John

For new online sellers, are there any key differences in SEO for the products they're selling versus SEO for their business?

Seamus
    RepricerExpress

[Last edited: 27 Feb 2015]
    Win the Buy Box more often with RepricerExpress Amazon Repricing Software.

StoreFeeder
    World First
    Seller Dynamics
    ReplyManager